Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 03, 2020, 07:44:03 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1264 1265 [1266] 1267 1268 ... 1296
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3431002 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18975 : April 13, 2020, 07:40:08 AM »

Beyond a Shadow of a Doubt.  Old black and white film noir, directed by Fritz Lang.

I'd rate 7/10, just get by the fact of everybody smoking all the time.

The Title is Beyond A Reasonable Doubt saw it the other day, too.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #18976 : April 13, 2020, 08:38:15 AM »

Kuro no ch?tokkyu/ Super Express (1964) - A Japanese noir. When a down-on-his-luck real estate agent realizes he unknowingly assisted in a land swindle, he tries to turn the tables on the swindlers and score some hush money. Things don't go as planned. This film is somewhat interesting because it's tied to the creation of Japan's bullet train (which began operation in 1964), but the main character does so many stupid things it's hard to believe he's still alive at the end. There's a cute girl in this, though (she married her co-star soon after the film and quit the biz).

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18977 : April 13, 2020, 08:47:56 AM »

The Last Temptation of Christ (1987) - 6.5/10
Tough one to rate for me because I don't give a fuck about Jesus, despite having watched this on Easter. What's all the hype with that guy anyways? It's an interesting film with great moments but overall too flawed for it's own good and looks pretty ugly, like most of Marty's pre-1950's period pieces. I'm glad he's happy with it and got to make it, though.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18978 : April 13, 2020, 09:35:27 AM »

The Last Temptation of Christ (1987) - 6.5/10
Tough one to rate for me because I don't give a fuck about Jesus, despite having watched this on Easter. What's all the hype with that guy anyways? It's an interesting film with great moments but overall too flawed for it's own good and looks pretty ugly, like most of Marty's pre-1950's period pieces. I'm glad he's happy with it and got to make it, though.

Probably the ugliest Marty movie ever. I think i rated it somewhere between 2 and 3 when i saw it. Seems like Marty forgot about everything about filmmaking for a year. He also forgot about "metaphors" because there are metaphors from the Bible (that are explicitly stated as metaphors in the actual Bible) that he shot quite literally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpNPIxWdZgY
Which kind of makes me doubt about the rest of it.

I've thought about giving it a second chance for a decade because the premise is cool. I never felt brave enough.

« : April 13, 2020, 09:39:35 AM noodles_leone »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18979 : April 13, 2020, 09:58:57 AM »

Probably the ugliest Marty movie ever. I think i rated it somewhere between 2 and 3 when i saw it. Seems like Marty forgot about everything about filmmaking for a year. He also forgot about "metaphors" because there are metaphors from the Bible (that are explicitly stated as metaphors in the actual Bible) that he shot quite literally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpNPIxWdZgY
Which kind of makes me doubt about the rest of it.

I've thought about giving it a second chance for a decade because the premise is cool. I never felt brave enough.
Yeah, that scene is fucking ridiculous. There's a lot in there that's a great idea, but executed horribly. It seems to be mostly Marty's fault too, I think that Schrader's script and Dafoe's performance are quite good.

He begins to detail in the commentary that steps he took to merge a biblical, historic epic style with everyday relatability to "get audiences talking". He brushes off the ridiculous New York accents by Harvey Keitel in particular by more or less saying, "people will like it, because they're just like them!". I imagine he took the same approach for a lot of bizarre stylistic choices like in the above clip.

I'm not buying it, though. Sounds like a cover-up.

I think this is a 5/10 at worst. I'm being a bit nice with my 6.5 because it's Marty and I don't like being mean to him.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #18980 : April 13, 2020, 10:36:46 AM »

The Title is Beyond A Reasonable Doubt saw it the other day, too.

Thanks.  Apparently I confused this with the title of the Hitchcock classic.  I always liked Teresa Wright.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18981 : April 13, 2020, 11:26:54 AM »

Kuro no ch?tokkyu/ Super Express (1964) - A Japanese noir. When a down-on-his-luck real estate agent realizes he unknowingly assisted in a land swindle, he tries to turn the tables on the swindlers and score some hush money. Things don't go as planned. This film is somewhat interesting because it's tied to the creation of Japan's bullet train (which began operation in 1964), but the main character does so many stupid things it's hard to believe he's still alive at the end. There's a cute girl in this, though (she married her co-star soon after the film and quit the biz).

How did you see this? I'm extra interested because it was directed by Masumura.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18982 : April 14, 2020, 04:04:59 PM »

How did you see this? I'm extra interested because it was directed by Masumura.
CJ put me on to a site called ok.ru. It's a little difficult to navigate. You have to get to a page with a search bar and then type in "Japanese Film Channel". It will take you to a page that has more than a hundred Japanese films with Eng. subs, many of which are not available on U.S. home video. There are, of course, channels for other groups of films.

If you're only interested in that particular flick you can go here: https://ok.ru/video/2052862970478

« : April 14, 2020, 04:07:17 PM dave jenkins »

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18983 : April 15, 2020, 01:06:23 AM »

The Leopard 7.5/10

First viewing in 15 years? I think I saw some kind of extended cut because I was watching it French and some scenes (more often: parts of some scenes) are in Italian. So it was mostly great, even-though it's a bit hard to follow now that my classes about Garibaldi and the history of 19th century Italy are far away. Claudia isn't as pretty as I remembered because of the hair work, but she has rarely been so overtly sensual.
The battle scenes are ridiculous, which is a shame because they had terrific art direction and enough extras to do something terrific.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18984 : April 15, 2020, 09:04:14 AM »

The Leopard 7.5/10
The battle scenes are ridiculous
I think they're based on paintings.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #18985 : April 15, 2020, 11:10:54 AM »

CJ put me on to a site called ok.ru. It's a little difficult to navigate. You have to get to a page with a search bar and then type in "Japanese Film Channel". It will take you to a page that has more than a hundred Japanese films with Eng. subs, many of which are not available on U.S. home video. There are, of course, channels for other groups of films.

If you're only interested in that particular flick you can go here: https://ok.ru/video/2052862970478

Thanks DJ. I've been watching stuff on that site for a while now but didn't know there were channels. I only find stuff via google so that's great to know.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18986 : April 15, 2020, 11:19:30 AM »

I think they're based on paintings.

Oh ok. Now that you've said it it seems very likely. That's why they look gorgeous but the extras don't know what to do.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18987 : April 16, 2020, 02:00:34 AM »

Zombieland: Double Tap 6/10
I've always liked the first one. That sequel is a disappointing mess, in a surprising way (ie not in the "easy cash 10 years later" kind of way). It has good scenes though.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18988 : April 16, 2020, 05:12:08 AM »

Guy 8/10
Amazing mockumentary about a (fake)  formerly famous singer. I have no idea how the film would work for foreigners, but as a french, the illusion is incredible. The film makes you nostalgic for classic musical hits that never existed and perfectly captures several decades of french music. It also succeeds at starting with the caricature and progressively revealing the man behind the mask. It sounds corny, but it does it with a welcome subtlety. The movie isn't flawless (the whole father/hidden son thing that frames the whole thing isn't what it does best) but I watched it with a big although sometimes sad smile on my face from start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyPHO7MGeOI
The main actor/director was 39 at the time. I have no idea how he managed to perform songs with an old man voice.

« : April 16, 2020, 05:13:53 AM noodles_leone »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18989 : April 16, 2020, 07:24:21 AM »

Les Felins (1964) - Alain Delon, Jane Fonda, Lola Albright, together again for the first time. Wow, a performance by Fonda I actually like! Her badly accented French is charming, and that Naughty Kitten routine she does is pretty funny. The plot isn't bad and the dialog is witty. The locations in Nice are nice too. A film by Rene Clement: https://ok.ru/video/1676664900206

: 1 ... 1264 1265 [1266] 1267 1268 ... 1296  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines