Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2020, 06:35:22 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1280 1281 [1282] 1283 1284 ... 1291
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3305332 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19215 : August 05, 2020, 04:23:19 AM »

I haven't seen Phantom Thread because I couldn't find the subject matter any less appealing. I'm taking shots at that type of film in general and not Phantom Thread itself, because I haven't seen it. But if you don't really like it that much, I'm thinking I will hate it.

Don't listen to that brainwashed kid. PT is awesome. One of my favorite PTA films... and it has very little of the flamboyant acting you dislike.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19216 : August 05, 2020, 05:53:14 AM »

I didn't like Phantom Thread, but not on account of the acting. Rather, I found the plotting ridiculous. However, my wife enjoyed the film, and ever since she's been wanting to feed me mushrooms.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19217 : August 05, 2020, 12:36:35 PM »

I didn't like Phantom Thread, but not on account of the acting. Rather, I found the plotting ridiculous. However, my wife enjoyed the film, and ever since she's been wanting to feed me mushrooms.

Phantom Thread is one of the most excruciating movies I have ever seen in my life. I'd have eaten the poisonous mushrooms if I could only have been assured of a quick death, before the movie ended.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #19218 : August 05, 2020, 01:38:18 PM »

You're overthinking the Kundun/Irishman comparison and I didn't do a very good job of explaining the point -- I was simply trying to say a quiet and/or mature crime film doesn't have anything in common with period pieces. For what it's worth, I consider Mean Streets much more of an anti coming-of-age film than a neo noir.

I haven't seen Phantom Thread because I couldn't find the subject matter any less appealing. I'm taking shots at that type of film in general and not Phantom Thread itself, because I haven't seen it. But if you don't really like it that much, I'm thinking I will hate it.

I like Inherent Vice and need to see it again. I found the journey or adventure in that movie entertaining, but the flaw of the film is inherent, pun unintended, with the source material. It's an anti PI movie that doesn't stick the landing. Night Moves, for as blandly directed and scored as it is (sorry Stanton), accomplishes what Inherent Vice tries to pull off. I do like the movie, I just don't know if Anderson should have wasted years of his life adapting that overrated novel, in my opinion. The 70's San Fernando Valley movie actually seems really intriguing.

We more or less agree on Magnolia. It has the look and feel of a great movie, and has that magical type of pace that all great 2.5+ hour movies need to have...but it's so up its ass, and there's a lot of janky writing, overacting and arrogance. But I also admire it's vulnerability and how much it puts itself out there, but that's also the problem with the movie too.

As for Boogie Nights, some of the acting can be a little much, and I've really grown to hate Julianne Moore's performance, but I also understand how others can tolerate it, or even enjoy it.

The Filmstruck jab may have been a little mean, but if we're going by the theory that a movie needs to double its budget to break even, all of his post TWBB movies have lost money and only Phantom Thread had a box office total that surpassed the reported budget, and it wasn't by a whole lot. I think it's fair to say that he's been appealing to a niche crowd in the last decade.
Gotcha, thought I might have been overthinking the Irishman / Kundun thing.

I always thought The Master made money? I know Inherent Vice didn't, I guess I have my facts wrong.

Give Phantom Thread a try, even if you dislike it, it's worth a shot because as n_l says I think it does well what you don't seem to like about modern PTA movies. Also don't listen opinions on Phantom Thread by anyone who adores Hacksaw Ridge or Patriot  ::)

If you like Inherent Vice, which PTA movies do you dislike? Punch-Drunk Love sure... but TWBB and The Master? I'll never understand the TWBB distaste on this board, this is like the one place on the internet/world that collectively hates that movie. Overacted sure, but so fucking fuuuun for being that way. Who needs another subtly acted epic when we can turn the structure of the "American masterpiece" on its head by being theatrical and funny as hell?

« : August 05, 2020, 01:43:09 PM PowerRR »
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19219 : August 05, 2020, 03:47:32 PM »

Phantom Thread is one of the most excruciating movies I have ever seen in my life. I'd have eaten the poisonous mushrooms if I could only have been assured of a quick death, before the movie ended.

You probably spend to much time chatting with your friend De Blasio and not enough time watching movies if PT is the most excruciating one you?ve seen. Also go watch Dragged Across Concrete (with your beloved Patriot) instead of discussing movies you don?t like!

The Social Network (2010) - 12/10
Like it or not, it is the most influential film of the century. For the better. Also, it?s the best film of the 2010?s (maybe challenged by The Irishman).

« : August 05, 2020, 03:53:03 PM noodles_leone »

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19220 : August 06, 2020, 09:32:30 AM »

Gotcha, thought I might have been overthinking the Irishman / Kundun thing.

I always thought The Master made money? I know Inherent Vice didn't, I guess I have my facts wrong.

Give Phantom Thread a try, even if you dislike it, it's worth a shot because as n_l says I think it does well what you don't seem to like about modern PTA movies. Also don't listen opinions on Phantom Thread by anyone who adores Hacksaw Ridge or Patriot  ::)

If you like Inherent Vice, which PTA movies do you dislike? Punch-Drunk Love sure... but TWBB and The Master? I'll never understand the TWBB distaste on this board, this is like the one place on the internet/world that collectively hates that movie. Overacted sure, but so fucking fuuuun for being that way. Who needs another subtly acted epic when we can turn the structure of the "American masterpiece" on its head by being theatrical and funny as hell?
I believe all of his post TWBB movies lost money.

It's not that I hate any of his movies, but I don't really like any of his 21st century stuff all that much. Punch Drunk Love is a quirky romance movie, albeit, a well made one - but like the period drama Phantom Thread, it's a subgenre I just don't care for. I need to give TWBB another view, but I don't like the flamboyant acting and thought the plotting could have been handled much better. I won't put up a fight with those saying that it's one of the best movies of the 00s though.

The Master is interesting and certainly a good movie, but it should have been told from Hoffman's point of view. Drifter characters become less interesting the more they're examined. As for Inherent Vice, the early 70s setting is a big reason why I liked the movie when I saw it in its initial run. If it was set in the 10s I don't think I'd dig it. I'm a very lenient towards crime movies set in the past, especially in an era where Hollywood doesn't make a lot of these movies anymore. But overall, Inherent Vice is something of a disappointment.

This probably isn't fair to Anderson or Tarantino and I have all the respect in the world for both of them, but they did not live up to the expectations that they set in the 90s. But to their defense, I don't love TWBB and Inglourious Basterds, their most acclaimed movie of the last 20 years.

« : August 06, 2020, 11:05:30 AM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #19221 : August 06, 2020, 12:12:11 PM »

I don't love Inglourious Basterds
It's close to my least favorite QT movie. Me and n_l talk about this a good amount - I have no idea why it's as popular and acclaimed as it is. But OUATIH gets significantly better each viewing - I think it's his best work (not his most defining or important work obviously - but the best)

The Master is interesting and certainly a good movie, but it should have been told from Hoffman's point of view.
To me that's like saying E.T. should be told from the alien's point of view. Or Paris, Texas should be told from the son's point of view. That's less critiquing one movie, and more asking for a different one. Also I predict you could just as well have the same criticism if the characters were reversed. The more we learn about Dodd the less interesting he is, too.

« : August 06, 2020, 12:17:46 PM PowerRR »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19222 : August 06, 2020, 12:47:57 PM »

Also I predict you could just as well have the same criticism if the characters were reversed. The more we learn about Dodd the less interesting he is, too.
That's a really good point, and I think what the film succeeds in doing well is showing how the two men both need each other and how they are improved by associating with one another. It's really one of the great buddy movies, but doesn't rely on feel-good moments for its success. Leone is the great poet of philia, but PTA can almost give him a run for his money (both Hard Eight and The Master prove it). When it comes to eros, though, I find PTA less persuasive.

« : August 06, 2020, 12:50:00 PM dave jenkins »

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19223 : August 06, 2020, 09:19:30 PM »

It's close to my least favorite QT movie. Me and n_l talk about this a good amount - I have no idea why it's as popular and acclaimed as it is. But OUATIH gets significantly better each viewing - I think it's his best work (not his most defining or important work obviously - but the best)

To me that's like saying E.T. should be told from the alien's point of view. Or Paris, Texas should be told from the son's point of view. That's less critiquing one movie, and more asking for a different one. Also I predict you could just as well have the same criticism if the characters were reversed. The more we learn about Dodd the less interesting he is, too.
Generally speaking, you're correct, but cult leaders are inherently way more interesting and complex than cult members, so I think that critique carries way more weight than usual. Hoffman's character was infinitely more intriguing than Phoenix's to me.

I've only seen Hollywood once, but in no way would I compare it to Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs or Jackie Brown. Hollywood is flawed, but it has grown on me the more I think about it and it's probably his best movie since the 90s -- even if Kill Bill Vol 1 is much more focused and cerebral in hitting its mark. I absolutely hate the ending in Hollywood though, and the plotting in act 3 gets all screwed up with the rushjob montage. The Leo acting scenes are entertaining but they're way too long. With that said, I think I might love the first hour more than any hour of any movie since the 90s, with maybe Zodiac as the lone exception.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19224 : August 07, 2020, 12:07:14 AM »

Zodiac for the win!

I?m pretty sure OUATIH is a movie that gets much better with repeated viewings. I like it much better now than right after I saw it the first time. My third watch is coming in the next few days.

TH and DJ have been making great points about The Master but I think one aspect of the movie that shouldn?t be overlooked is the feel of deep mystery: you spend a long time trying to make sense of what the characters are thinking about (or trying to do)... and Years after it?s been released it?s still hard to decipher what the movie is really about. Post TWBB PTA has been actively trying to hide what he?s after and to remove the obvious scenes and what we call in French the ?passages oblig?s?. He?s trying to invent a new way of telling a story. So yeah, it won?t come with mainstream appeal, and it will come with some kind of pseudo elitist touch. There Will Be Blood was probably the last time he reached the sweet spot between the two. For now he?s on the other side. But that?s good to me: we need more talented filmmakers on that side and less people wasting their talent and career, slowly killing the Industry and destroying brains on the Disney side.

« : August 07, 2020, 12:17:36 AM noodles_leone »

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19225 : August 07, 2020, 10:15:43 AM »

Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead (1995) - Things to Not Watch Because They're Shit. An impressive waste of a talented ensemble cast. D-

Killing Zoe (1994) - Eurotrash: the heist movie, but entertaining if you can overlook a lot of illogical decisions made by the writer Roger Avary and basically all the characters. C

TH and DJ have been making great points about The Master but I think one aspect of the movie that shouldn?t be overlooked is the feel of deep mystery: you spend a long time trying to make sense of what the characters are thinking about (or trying to do)... and Years after it?s been released it?s still hard to decipher what the movie is really about. Post TWBB PTA has been actively trying to hide what he?s after and to remove the obvious scenes and what we call in French the ?passages oblig?s?. He?s trying to invent a new way of telling a story. So yeah, it won?t come with mainstream appeal, and it will come with some kind of pseudo elitist touch. There Will Be Blood was probably the last time he reached the sweet spot between the two. For now he?s on the other side. But that?s good to me: we need more talented filmmakers on that side and less people wasting their talent and career, slowly killing the Industry and destroying brains on the Disney side.
Very interesting point you made about the storytelling method that PTA may have been trying to pull off, but I feel like stuff like Cemetery Without Crosses (1969) could be described in the same way, and that's a spaghetti from 50 years ago.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19226 : August 07, 2020, 11:42:23 AM »

Well the concept is pretty timeless. Bertrand Bonello does it pretty well in France these days. But execute that idea in different decades and with different genres and you aren?t gonna fight the same expectations, hence very different films and innovations.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #19227 : August 07, 2020, 11:44:12 AM »

Very interesting point you made about the storytelling method that PTA may have been trying to pull off, but I feel like stuff like Cemetery Without Crosses (1969) could be described in the same way, and that's a spaghetti from 50 years ago.
I'm sure your right, and although I've never seen it, it's a bit less exciting because those filmmakers aren't in PTA's position. PTA is making art films with tens of millions of dollars, on massive scale, with huge actors, that are widely distributed. It's part of the reason why Terrence Maliick is so fascinating. He's making experimental films that otherwise wouldn't be seen, but he has the power to cast some of the biggest stars in the world in them. Once the big-budget auteurs die out and Disney becomes even more powerful, we're never gonna get auteur-driven multi-million dollar art films again, and looking back at something like Inherent Vice or Song to Song will be a marvel despite how much people blast them now. Hopefully my prediction is wrong.

But to loop that all back to the start... I love Hard Eight, but it's a bit vanilla and a bit of a "first film" (despite it being about as good as anyones first film can be). But if we have a PTA, why should he waste time on the simple stuff? There's plenty of Hard Eights out there, I only hope he goes more experimental and alienating, even if we hate it. I think I like Hard Eight more than Phantom Thread, but I'm so much happier to have PT rather than another somewhat run-of-the-mill noir that's more of a Melville homage than an original work.

« : August 07, 2020, 11:49:18 AM PowerRR »
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19228 : August 08, 2020, 10:14:44 AM »

We just disagree philosophically. I don't think there's more room for originality by making arthouse movies or making movies for arthouse audiences as opposed to genre stuff. I'm of the belief that nothing is really original, and a genre director can just as easily have a personal or unique style as any other director. To me, the best contemporary movies can really only be fresh and/or reinvigorating, and nothing else, with maybe a Tommy Wiseau type as a rare exception.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19229 : August 08, 2020, 02:22:07 PM »

We just disagree philosophically. I don't think there's more room for originality by making arthouse movies or making movies for arthouse audiences as opposed to genre stuff. I'm of the belief that nothing is really original, and a genre director can just as easily have a personal or unique style as any other director. To me, the best contemporary movies can really only be fresh and/or reinvigorating, and nothing else, with maybe a Tommy Wiseau type as a rare exception.

I don?t remember: have you seen the films of S. Craig Zahler?

: 1 ... 1280 1281 [1282] 1283 1284 ... 1291  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines