Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 24, 2021, 02:18:35 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 ... 1304
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3526060 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19275 : August 19, 2020, 10:42:32 AM »

Monsieur Vincent (1947) - 8/10. The life of St. Vincent de Paul (canonized in 1737), impersonated by the great Pierre Fresnay and a succession of false noses. Based on de Paul?s letters, the film is highly episodic (frustratingly so, as at times conflicts are introduced but never resolved). In one scene we see de Paul as chaplain to galley slaves. France had galley slaves in the 17th Century? Apparently so. I mentioned this to my father who told me Jean Valjean had been a galley slave at the beginning of Les Misreables. I was skeptical and did some research and discovered that France?s fleet of galleys was decommissioned in 1748 (or so). However, prisoners were still called galerien for a time and were imprisoned at ports, sometimes on barges. Jean Valjean in fact was imprisoned at the Bagne de Toulon (hence my father?s confusion). Glad I cleared that up!

« : August 19, 2020, 10:43:44 AM dave jenkins »

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19276 : August 19, 2020, 04:09:35 PM »

I understand what you're trying to say, don't get it twisted.

So movies like American Graffiti, Dazed and Confused, Stand By Me, et al are too predictable?

Yes (although the number of characters tends to bury it), I haven?t seen it, and I guess so but it?s so canonical now that I don?t know if it?s really predictable or if it was just the blueprint for the predictable stuff that came after.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19277 : August 19, 2020, 09:37:20 PM »

Yes (although the number of characters tends to bury it), I haven?t seen it, and I guess so but it?s so canonical now that I don?t know if it?s really predictable or if it was just the blueprint for the predictable stuff that came after.
I guess you just don't like that kind of movie, which is fine, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on your theory that these movies are predictable since I think your opinion completely hinges on your dislike, or indifference, of that kind of movie in the first place.

« : August 19, 2020, 09:38:50 PM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19278 : August 19, 2020, 10:56:17 PM »

We can do that.

Or you can say I'm right, so that I have a nice day.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19279 : August 20, 2020, 08:42:06 AM »

I'll say it: "Noodles is right."

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19280 : August 22, 2020, 05:25:54 AM »

:-*

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19281 : August 22, 2020, 10:26:21 PM »

Six Bridges to Cross (1955) - 7/10. Mouthy JD Sal Mineo grows up to be mouthy crook Tony Curtis. Ed Gallagher (George Nader), a Boston beat cop (later a Detective Lt.) tries mentoring the young delinquent, but it never seems to take. Will the career criminal finally go straight, or will he throw his last chance to reform away on a big score? Interesting variation on the two-friends-on-opposite-sides-of-the-law routine, with good performances, especially by Curtis. Jeff Chandler provides the narration. Sammy Davis, Jr. impassionedly croons the title song.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19282 : August 24, 2020, 07:15:16 PM »

Six Bridges to Cross (1955) - 7/10. Mouthy JD Sal Mineo grows up to be mouthy crook Tony Curtis. Ed Gallagher (George Nader), a Boston beat cop (later a Detective Lt.) tries mentoring the young delinquent, but it never seems to take. Will the career criminal finally go straight, or will he throw his last chance to reform away on a big score? Interesting variation on the two-friends-on-opposite-sides-of-the-law routine, with good performances, especially by Curtis. Jeff Chandler provides the narration. Sammy Davis, Jr. impassionedly croons the title song.
It's a George Nader double feature!

The Female Animal (1958) - 4/10. Hedy Lamarr is a Joan-Crawford-like star with a college-age adopted daughter (Jane Powell). One day on the set, hunky George Nader pushes Hedy out of the way of a swinging kleig light. Hedy is smitten, and moves George into her beach bungalow as her new "caretaker." Things are looking up for George, but he's unhappy. Damn it, the man has to be the breadwinner! (What is it with these 50s men and their reluctance to be kept by women? I've been looking for that gig all my life). Jan Sterling shows up with her patented line of snark. Jerry Paris lights up the two scenes he's in. Unhappily, there just isn't enough story for the running time, and the dialog is frequently ridiculous. Hedy looks really good, though.

« : October 06, 2020, 12:44:19 PM dave jenkins »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19283 : August 26, 2020, 01:14:27 AM »

Miller's Crossing 7/10
Second viewing, but first in years. I love the dialogues, the performances, the characters. It's a weird movie that seems to try to be a pastiche and yet asks you to take it seriously. It almost manages it thanks to Gabriel Byrne's cinematic charisma. Unfortunately, the action scenes aged really poorly, but the Coens' camerawork is already impressively precise (although in 1990 it had not yet reached the level of refinement and excellence they've been casually achieving since the early 2000's).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19284 : August 26, 2020, 02:54:16 AM »

Miller's Crossing 7/10
Second viewing, but first in years. I love the dialogues, the performances, the characters. It's a weird movie that seems to try to be a pastiche and yet asks you to take it seriously. It almost manages it thanks to Gabriel Byrne's cinematic charisma. Unfortunately, the action scenes aged really poorly, but the Coens' camerawork is already impressively precise (although in 1990 it had not yet reached the level of refinement and excellence they've been casually achieving since the early 2000's).
Noodles is right.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #19285 : August 26, 2020, 06:23:26 AM »

"Tell No One" French-made suspense film, DVD had English audio too, and/or subtitles.  OK.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19286 : August 28, 2020, 11:49:56 AM »

A Woman's Vengeance (1948) - 6/10. From IMDb: "When Henry Maurier's (Charles Boyer) wife Emily (Rachel Kempson) dies suddenly, suspicion falls on him in. . . . Maurier is an unhappily married womanizer; his wife Emily is a neurotic invalid. Her good friend Janet (Jessica Tandy) visits at Maurier's urging to cheer Emily up. . . . After lunch with Janet and Emily, Henry leaves to meet his girlfriend (Ann Blyth); Emily retires to her room and dies. The maid (Mildred Natwick) suspects Henry, goes to the police, and the body is exhumed. Emily was poisoned! Henry is arrested, charged with murder, found guilty, and sentenced to death." Also in the cast is Cedric Hardwicke, in the pivotal role as Dr. Libbard, the character who is both the author's mouthpiece and the one who solves the murder. The whole thing is rather play-like, but the chat is pretty good. It is derived from "The Gioconda Smile", a story by Aldous Huxley that the author himself adapted for the screenplay. The movie is a good example of Hollywood using its English colony of actors to simulate a British film. The film has been remade several times, often for TV.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19287 : August 29, 2020, 07:57:41 PM »

They Only Kill Their Masters (1972) - 5/10. In an alternate reality, Jim Rockford (James Garner) is Abel Marsh, the chief of police in a small seaside California town investigating a murder. Production values are strictly from 70s TV, and although this is an MGM film, several scenes look like they were shot on the Universal back lot (Rockford was made at Universal). Katherine Ross is in the picture, but most everybody else (Hal Holbrook, Harry Guardino, Arthur O'Connel) seems to be on loan from future television shows. June Allyson, Edmond O'Brien, Ann Rutherford and a host of other has-beens make cameos.  The score, not written by Mike Post, nevertheless has a Rockford feel.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19288 : August 30, 2020, 11:16:14 AM »

Three Bad Sisters (1956) - 3/10. A very cheap production without stars. One point for each of the sisters, though, every one a honey. The story is about three heiresses and the attempt by one to ace the others out of their inheritance. There's a guy in the middle. There is (despite the title) a good sister (Sara Shane), a bat-shit crazy sister (Kathleen Hughes), and a nympho sister (Marla English). The name Marla English seemed familiar so I checked IMDb: she didn't have much of a career, but she's the broad in Shield For Murder. She has a great line in this. Although she doesn't seem particularly young, in the film she is apparently supposed to be jailbait. When she comes on to the hero the guy says, "Home for the summer?" She answers, "I'm home permanently. I graduated magna cum laude from Embraceable U." That one probably had whiskers on it even in 1956, but it left me in stitches.

Murder is My Beat (1955) - 5/10. A cop goes after a murder suspect who turns out to be Barbara Payton. Good work if you can get it. There's some clever police work in this, some great dialog too. The murder occurred in LA, but the girl has taken it on the lam to Merced, CA, the "Gateway to Yosemite." The cop tells his boss what's up and the following repartee ensues:
Suspect as hot as you think?
Looks good.
What are you gonna do?
Bring her back.
That sure you can find her?
Just take a little diggin. Merced--where can she hang out around there? Short on dough and a face that would stand out in heaven. Lead pipe cinch.
OK. All yours. Run it down, wrap it up, mark it "paid" and take the bows.
Thanks.
Now yer talkin!

« : August 30, 2020, 11:22:05 AM dave jenkins »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19289 : August 30, 2020, 07:18:38 PM »

Rogue Cop (1954) - 4/10. Robert Taylor is a dirty cop who "goes rogue" when his bosses kill his kid brother (Steve Forrest). Anne Francis and Janet Leigh are on hand to pretty things up, but the plotting is pretty stupid. The mob boss is played by George Raft. There isn't much to enjoy in this picture, but watching Raft getting cowboyed at the end is diverting.

: 1 ... 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 ... 1304  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines