Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 06:40:45 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1395 1396 [1397] 1398 1399 ... 1402
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5062565 )
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #20940 : December 04, 2023, 02:51:52 PM »

"The Forgotton Battle" 2020.  7/10.  Dutch-made WW2 film about efforts to open up the port in Belgium in September 1944 so Allies' supplies could move the fight eastward.  English language available as option, saw on NetFlix.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #20941 : December 05, 2023, 01:28:49 PM »

Home Alone (1990) - I might enjoy this movie more now as an adult, and it has that timeless Hollywood feel when it was made at a time when so few movies felt that way -- and that feel, so to speak, became totally extinct by the turn of the century. John Hughes really is the last classic Hollywood filmmaker, and Home Alone was his last major work, even if he didn't direct it. This will definitely enter Wizard of Oz and It's a Wonderful Life territory years from now, whereas the sequel absolutely will not. Though it was better than it had any right to be. A-

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #20942 : December 08, 2023, 09:16:13 PM »

Maestro (2023) - 9/10. A very, very well-made film, with state-of-the-art photography (in both b&w and color), inspired framings, great set designs and costumes, editing excellence, fantastic performances (Bradley Cooper's prosthetic nose should get an Oscar nom), and, of course, tons of wonderful music.

Unhappily, all this excellent craftsmanship seems to have been put in service for a not very interesting subject, the music teacher/conductor/composer Leonard Bernstein. Lenny was obviously talented. He had an impressive career (you could say "careers") with many projects performed concurrently. He was so busy, in fact, you have to wonder if he had any kind of an inner life at all. The film wants to suggest he did by concentrating on his relationship with his wife (played by Carey Mulligan).

The exploration of that relationship is both the movie's strength and weakness. Although Mrs. Bernstein seems to have had a humanizing effect on her husband, the marriage might just as well have been another of Bernstein's performances. He was a gay man who, the film shows, had male partners before, during, and after his marriage. The filmmakers want us to believe that the relationship with his wife was the one that really counted, but I was not persuaded. (Btw, why isn't the title of this film "The Maestro and the Mrs."? The focus is clearly on the couple, and when Mulligan leaves the story, the film is over.)

To my mind, It's another (though unintentional) Kane-type tale: a man who appears so impressive in public is in fact a nullity in his private life. But Bernstein did write a lot of music.  And the film introduces many of his compositions; Bernstein's legacy as an artist must, after all, count for something. Even here, though, the filmmakers undercut the case by mixing in performances of Mahler and Beethoven. Indeed, the highlight of the film is a 6-minute tracking shot of Cooper conducting the London Symphony Orchestra in a performance of a part of Mahler's Second. It's hard for any composer to compete with that.

Still, the walk out music is all Bernstein's, and it's worth staying for. The wife and I did, and enjoyed hearing what the Jacob Burn's sound system could do with it. I pity the shlubs streaming this from Netflix, listening to it on their crappy home audio or their lousy PC earbuds.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20943 : December 12, 2023, 09:10:34 AM »

Out of Sight (1998) - 8/10. Incredibly, the Missus had never seen this, so I spun it for her last night. Look, honey, it's a love story! No, no, just ignore the body count at the end . . .  Pretty funny, though, what?.

Why can't Soderbergh always work with Scott Frank?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20944 : December 12, 2023, 09:43:45 AM »

Bacurau (2019)  - 7.5/10
Very good brazilian contemporary spaghetti western. it's messy but very enjoyable and keeps reinventing the genre the whole time.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #20945 : December 13, 2023, 06:59:10 AM »

Watched, chosen by Mrs. Cusser:

Mysteries of Pittsburgh  3/10, I do not recommend this

Surviving Christmas (2004) also 3/10.  Matt Afleck plays a very non-likeable character, and plot is bad.  Fake snow is worse.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20946 : December 16, 2023, 01:13:08 AM »

The Last Tycoon (1976) - 7/10. Elia Kazan's last picture, from an unfinished Fitzgerald novel, ostensibly based on the life of Irving Thalberg, but really more about Fitzgerald himself. It stars De Niro as studio production head Monroe Stahr and has a plethora of talent: Mitchum, Miland, Moreau, Nicholson, Pleasence, Tony Curtis, Dana Andrews. Theresa Russell debuted here, and she's exceptional. Bits are provided by John Carradine, Seymour Cassel, Jeff Corey, Anjelica Huston. Someone named Ingrid Boulting plays Stahr's Obscure Object of Desire, and she's a unique presence. Interestingly, the filmmakers decided not to give Fitzgerald's story an ending. The obvious film to pair this with on a double bill would be the one about Fitzgerald's final months, Beloved Infidel (1959).

Black Hat (2015) Director's Cut - 9/10. Michael Mann gave this film everything except credible dialog. Photography, set design, locations (LA, HK, Jakarta), plot, soundtrack, editing, color grading: all top notch.  The firefight in Shek O is one of the greatest action set pieces of all time. And if that weren't enough, there's also, from start to finish, Tang Wei. Glad I waited for the DC--I'll never watch those other crappy cuts.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20947 : December 30, 2023, 01:19:26 PM »

Ferrari (2023) - 7/10. What's with all the soap opera b.s.? The first half of this film could have been cut, with the time saved given to the 5-member racing team that represents Ferrari in the Mille Miglia. Those guys are much more interesting than Enzo and his women.  Yeah, there are some very artful images here; unhappily, there is also a lot of awful dialog. Then there are the annoying anachronisms: a pre-Vatican II mass conducted in the vernacular, and the belief that in 1957 the expression "piece of cake" was current. The rule for MM going forward should be: NO SPEAKING PARTS FOR ACTORS.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20948 : January 01, 2024, 04:57:05 PM »

Anselm (2023) 3-D - 10/10. Wenders does Anselm Kiefer, a German sculptor with an international reputation who I've never heard of. Yes, there are lots of examples of the man's work, lovingly investigated in 3D. Apparently, the guy thinks highly of Paul Celan; he's seen holding a copy of his collected poems several times. Almost out of nowhere, we suddenly hear the late poet declaiming his most famous poem, "Death is a Master from Germany." As he speaks, his words appear on the screen in 3D! Gave me goosebumps. The sculptures are OK. Is the 3D really necessary, though? Probably not.

Fallen Leaves (2023) - 8/10. Aki Kaurismaki's latest, and it's the same film he's already made, several times. Is there a jukebox? Check. A dog? Check. Disenfranchised middle-aged people who are lonely and have trouble communicating? Boy, howdy! It's funny, though. Conversations are a series of deadpan put-downs, and they're a joy to hear. What a contrast with the repetitious cinema of Wes Anderson, which has grown tedious. Keep up the good work, AK!

« : January 01, 2024, 04:58:28 PM dave jenkins »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20949 : January 05, 2024, 03:36:58 AM »

Home Alone (1990) - I might enjoy this movie more now as an adult, and it has that timeless Hollywood feel when it was made at a time when so few movies felt that way -- and that feel, so to speak, became totally extinct by the turn of the century. John Hughes really is the last classic Hollywood filmmaker, and Home Alone was his last major work, even if he didn't direct it. This will definitely enter Wizard of Oz and It's a Wonderful Life territory years from now, whereas the sequel absolutely will not. Though it was better than it had any right to be. A-

Noooooo
Home Alone 2 is the best Home Alone!

Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #20950 : January 05, 2024, 06:46:10 AM »

Munich - The Edge of War (2021), rate 6/10

Jeremy Irons really got Chamberlain perfectly, but Ulrich Mathes just does not look like Hitler at all.  One would think that these days one could do a much better make-up job.  Jessica Brown Findlay was fetching as the British wife.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20951 : January 06, 2024, 10:16:39 PM »

The Horseman on the Roof (1995) - 9/10. I'd forgotten how enjoyable this film is. It's fast moving and has a lot of really sweet locations. And it turns out the cholera outbreak of 1832 is a good backdrop against which to project a rollicking adventure tale: hey, our superstitions aren't all that different from theirs. There's a couple of great moments when the hero uses hand sanitizer to dramatic effect--a bit anachronistic, though, as the theory of germs didn't develop until the second half of the 19th Century. Several amusing cameos: Arditi, Yanne, Depardieu. And Binoche was never lovelier. I have to dock a point for some of the BS night-time lighting, but otherwise . . . Apparently, there's a version with an extra 15 minutes, but I've only ever seen the 2-hr. version. I wonder what was cut?
Such an enjoyable film.  Another watch, another sense of frustration with the night-time lighting. And I wish they'd moved the camera more. Otherwise, it's practically perfect, and I'll be returning to it again and again.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20952 : January 10, 2024, 10:52:19 AM »

A Man and a Woman (1966) - 8/10. It's amazing that Lelouch could get such a great film out of advertising photography and Muzak. It helps to have really, really attractive performers, of course. Even the kids are tolerable. They should have skipped the flashbacks, though; this would have played fine without the ridiculous backstories. Yes, I suppose I respond to the movie largely for nostalgia's sake.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20953 : January 10, 2024, 04:16:40 PM »

Blow-Up (1966) A Mod Swinging Sixties - Jazz Noir

"The Accidental WeeGee, or it Breaks Bad for "Love That Bob.""

Directed by Michelangelo Antonioni (Il Grido, L'Avventura). Written by Michelangelo Antonioni and Julio Cort?zar based partly on his short story "Las babas del diablo"  Screenplay by Michelangelo Antonioni and Tonino Guerra with English dialogue by Edward Bond.

Cinematography by Carlo Di Palma (Mighty Aphrodite, Manhattan Murder Mystery) and Music by Herbie Hancock.

David Hemmings as Thomas, Vanessa Redgrave as Jane, Sarah Miles as ex girlfriend Patricia. John Castle as Bill the artist, Jane Birkin as blonde girl, Gillian Hills as brunette girl, Peter Bowles as Ron, Thomas's agent, Veruschka von Lehndorff as herself, Julian Chagrin as mime, Claude Chagrin as mime.

We get treated to a diegetic music set by the Yardbirds with Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck, and Herbie Hancock provides a beautiful jazzy score. This film is more on the "mod" side of London in the 1960s. I like it's style. 9/10

« : January 11, 2024, 03:49:11 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20954 : January 11, 2024, 05:08:43 AM »

Blow-Up (1966) A Mod Swinging Sixties - Jazz Noir

"The Accidental WeeGee, or it Breaks Bad for "Love That Bob.""

Directed by Michelangelo Antonioni (Il Grido, L'Avventura). Written by Michelangelo Antonioni and Julio Cort?zar based partly on his short story "Las babas del diablo"  Screenplay by Michelangelo Antonioni and Tonino Guerra with English dialogue by Edward Bond.

Cinematography by Carlo Di Palma (Mighty Aphrodite, Manhattan Murder Mystery) and Music by Herbie Hancock.

David Hemmings as Thomas, Vanessa Redgrave as Jane, Sarah Miles as ex girlfriend Patricia. John Castle as Bill the artist, Jane Birkin as blonde girl, Gillian Hills as brunette girl, Peter Bowles as Ron, Thomas's agent, Veruschka von Lehndorff as herself, Julian Chagrin as mime, Claude Chagrin as mime.

We get treated to a diegetic music set by the Yardbirds with Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck, and Herbie Hancock provides a beautiful jazzy score. This film is more on the "mod" side of London in the 1960s. I like it's style. 9/10
The mimes suck, though. A while ago on his website Steven Soderbergh put up an edit of the film that removed all the material with the mimes and it was a huge improvement. Of course, he had to take it down (along with his 90-minute version of 2001).

: 1 ... 1395 1396 [1397] 1398 1399 ... 1402  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines