Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 04:25:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1842290 times)
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2007, 06:08:07 PM »

C'mon Dave! You are talking about an unreconstructed white male alcoholic, gruffly anti-intellectual but fiercely intelligent, possibly traumatised by service in WWII, trying to make balanced films about big subjects like racism. Fifty one years ago!! But you are judging the movie as though it was shot yesterday.

If only I could live so long and be lazy enough to make a film as shite as THE SEARCHERS.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2007, 08:04:03 AM »

To each his own. I can think of 1,000 films I'd rather have made before making The Searchers. Again, I don't object to Ford being Ford, I object to Ford not being Ford sufficiently. And in The Searchers he tried marrying a genre form with social commentary, not something he was really capable of doing. I don't say such a thing can never be done, but Ford wasn't the man for the job, at least, not at that point in his career. Other 50s Westerns suffer from a similar affliction (which is why High Noon really bites), so perhaps I shouldn't single out The Searchers. Still, all the fawning over what is essentially an exercise in bad faith gets me. Happily, the zeitgeist changed, and a lion of a filmmaker, who would always stay true to his aesthetic principals, emerged.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »

I wasn't the biggest fan of The Searchers either, though there's no true reason why. Anyways...

Hud - 4/5
Paul Newman at his best. Though not quite as good as Cool Hand Luke or Butch Cassidy, this is easily Paul Newman's greatest performance - and his least likable character. His roles in Somebody Up There Likes Me and Hud also remind me quite a bit of James Dean. Newman is quickly going up my list of favorite actors, and I can't wait until I get the opportunity to eventually see The Hustler.

Rrpower's Rating Scale
5 - A masterpiece, or close to it. Simply amazing.
4 - Very, very good - atleast one viewing is necessary.
3 - It's good, but passable.
2 - Don't waste your time on this - a bad movie.
1 - Avoid this at all costs necessary, even if it means suicide.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2007, 05:42:12 PM »

DJ, I just rewatched the Searchers myself on Saturday, I think you have to look at it from the perspective of when it was made and the parameters of the Genre. It was definitely different for its time, and John Wayne playing a dark character was similar in shock value then as the Fonda turn in OUATITW was in 1968.

But you do have a lot of valid points, Monument Valley is no place for a homestead, but then again where did it say they were actually  farming, I think they were ranching, didn't the Jorgensens have some cattle stolen and lanced by the Comanche, at least the Ford could have went to West Texas just as easily and maybe have been a little truer to the story local.

Yet the vengeance angle just seems to evaporate in the hunt for Debbie.

I though that the reason he was restrained from the vengeance angle was that the fear that the Comanche would kill Debbie and any captives if he tried to kill them.

A hint or two in this regard would have gone a long way toward limning Ethanís character.

I think the hint was the fact stated above.

I do agree with your comments on the handling of the Look character, and like your suggestions. These could actually be good ideas for a remake.

However, the film did show (in the minds eye) some horrendous violence by actually not showing any on the screen, we are left to our own imaginations what horrible fate his sister met after we see her bloody dress and can only imagine what Ethan saw in the root celler, and equally later when he comes out of the canyon without his cavalry coat.

The film also, though just barely, alluded to the attrocities commited by the cavalry in the scene where Ethan &  Martin hear the cavalry bugles then find the massacred village & Look, which was something of a first.

"Gary Owen" is a tune used in a lot of Fords films.

I also noticed (The curse of Leone) the anachronisims with the weaponry, all the revolvers are 1873 Colt Peacemakers, this film started circa 1867. 

You should check out 3 Godfathers when you get a chance, and see what you think of that film.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2007, 08:00:13 PM »

Watched Rocky Balboa. I hate the Rocky series: watched the first 30 years ago when it came out and didn't like it, though at the time I had a great admiration for Avildsen. Caught the snippets from the other 4 (or how many they are) and was repulsed by the repetitivity of it all (with the exception of the Living in America clip in number 4, if it is correct). So why I decided to see this? Because I thought, as everybody was saying it was good, that it might be good indeed as the age of the actor had to be compensated by  less formulaic narrative solutions. Well, it isn't: Sly is always the would-be loser, always looking at his right to exhibit timidity (or maybe because he thinks he is more photogenic showing that side of his face). But when after an hour of platitudes you hear the Rocky theme and he starts training, well, you l8ike it. I did, though I would have done gladly without the hound. Also, the match is  probably the more realistic of the series: it is possible that a superchamp, even over 50, may resist against a younger competitor. The punch, in boxing, is what you never lose whatever the age. So I think I'll watch me the training sequence another pair of times.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2007, 08:01:02 PM »

Oh, the vote: 5\10

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2007, 03:31:19 AM »

Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the Sex, Drugs and Rock 'N' Roll Generation Saved Hollywood

about hollywood in the 70's, when the director was the star of the movie and was given practically total freedom over his movie.

I thought it was very interesting, has some old footage from sets and such. a few of the subjects stop by for interviews as well. though I wish some of the bigger players such as scorcese, coppola and spielberg had done so to. worth a watch

the conversation
a surveillance master working for some shady people suddenly develops a conscience when he suspects his targets might get killed.

it has a decent story and a good gene hackman as the lead, but it just got too tedious and boring.

the king of comedy
a goofy wannabe comedian decides he has what it takes to be on the jerry langford show. out of his disillusions and daydreams he becomes a dangerous man, posing a greater and greater threat to jerry langford.

I'd been wanting to see this movie for quite some time now. after all, it's de niro and scorcese. and I enjoyed it, rupert pupkin kind of reminded me of travis bickle. a great commentary to the celebrity worshipping that is very prevalent in the u.s. and increasingly so throughout the world.

lord of the flies(1963)
a bunch of kids are stranded on a remote island somewhere. they must try to survive until help arrives.

I didnt quite catch how they ended up on the island, and neither did the kids it seemed.  it was pretty interesting seeing how the environment made the majority act like wild animals. the acting wasn't great but what can you expect from a bunch of kids. it was passable. worth seeing once.

silver streak
a man is on his way to chicago, taking the silver streak train. onboard he encounters a pretty young woman. as they are about to get it on, he sees a man hanging outside the window with a bullet in his head. in a flash the body is gone. was it real or was he hallucinating? he must find out.

I had heard this was the best movie gene wilder and richard pryor had made together. and it's not bad, but there wasnt a whole lot of comedy in it and some of it was pretty bad. but as a crime-mystery movie it was pretty cool.

hit man file
a hit man is working for some shady underground figures to earn a living. but the more he kills the more heat is on him. many people now want him dead.

this was a bad, bad movie. it was like one of those awful action tv-movies from the u.s.
so far I havent seen a single thai movie with a near decent plot. I'm not really sure what the real plot of this movie was.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2007, 01:22:53 PM »

In the Heat of the Night

I just saw this film last night and I loved it. Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger really shine in this fantastic movie. What I loved most about it was the character development in the relationship between the two main characters. The ending is truly heart-warming and alone is worth the price of admission.

Perfect score from me. Ten out of ten.

Beebs
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2007, 07:44:34 PM »

Yojimbo - 7/10

I was very impressed. Despite the language barrier I managed to understand the plot and really enjoyed it.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2007, 08:25:42 PM »

Night of the Hunter - 3/5
A dark, Hitchcockian film with one very memorable performance. Robert Mitchum was amazing as the mentally insane, child stalking Harry Powell, but the acting aside from this was very subpar. The direction was stunning at times of suspense, really making you feel as if you were there. Still, it's really not too memorable enough to come back to a second time. It's worth a viewing, but I'd suggest many movies to rent before this.

Rrpower's Rating Scale

Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2007, 12:52:39 AM »

hearts and minds
documentary about the vietnam war.

very powerful stuff. a must see for everyone.

lord of war
about a ukranian u.s. immigrant that starts running guns for a living.

I had somewhat high expectations of this, even though I don't really like nicholas cage that much. but this was a really goofy, and sometimes downright dumb movie. and the opening sequence which was a good idea, looked awful. the life of a gunrunner makes for an interesting movie, but this one didn't pull it off.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2007, 07:30:31 AM »

Night of the Hunter - 3/5
A dark, Hitchcockian film with one very memorable performance. Robert Mitchum was amazing as the mentally insane, child stalking Harry Powell, but the acting aside from this was very subpar. The direction was stunning at times of suspense, really making you feel as if you were there. Still, it's really not too memorable enough to come back to a second time. It's worth a viewing, but I'd suggest many movies to rent before this.

Rrpower's Rating Scale

Interesting review but one I disagree with completly. This is worth at least a 4 in my opinion, a wonderful noir.

It Happened One Night

Continuing through my Capra collection we get to this wonderful early screwball comedy film. The story of a wealthy person roughing it by their own choice or not has been done many times (The best example of this is Preston Sturges wonderful Sullivans Travels) but in this film Capra and screen writer Robert Riskin manages to keep it entertaining and very funny. The performaces by Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert are perfect and highly engaging. A roaring sucess.

LA's Score 4 out of 5   

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2007, 03:12:44 PM »

kelly's heroes
a soldier captures a german officer during WW2. he is told of a stash of gold. he recruits a bunch of weird characters and goes out to get it.

cool movie, great cast. it's kind of like 3 kings in germany, only better. there's even a homage to the dollars-trilogy in there too.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2007, 09:57:47 PM »

Joyeux Noel This was entertaining, saw it last night for the first time ****/*****

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2007, 05:48:12 AM »

the lost patrol
a britsh army patrol is crossing some arab desert when their only man with the information about where they are going and why, is killed. from then on it\'s a battle for survival against an unseen enemy.

the first john ford movie I see. thought it was all right for such an old movie. the acting could\'ve been better, but I dont really like the acting in any movies of this period. it was funny seeing boris karloff as a religious nut. worth seeing once.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM