Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2019, 11:06:57 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Last Book You Read
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 86
: Last Book You Read  ( 294278 )
Sonny
Bounty Killer

« #165 : November 15, 2007, 01:42:08 PM »

Simone de Beavoir's The Second Sex...
I have to read it for my history class and also, coincidentially for my philosophy class.
it's very interesting but there are a couple of things i don't agree with, beginning with the fact that her philosophies were kind of extremist, aiming at absolute feminist ideals, even though she didn't admit to it until later on in her life.  The other thing I strongly disagreed with was her views on bearing children. Apparently, she believed that a woman's place is not in the house bearing and caring for children but out in the world. It's a very contradictory philosophy because, even though women should have the right to devote their lives to more than just being housewives, they are also needed to raise their children, who are imperatively important because they are the future.  Time management is the key to being able to do both.  Even so, some wmen (like Britney Spears) should not be mothers period. But that goes beyond the point.

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #166 : November 15, 2007, 03:18:02 PM »

"Schmoozing With Terrorists: From Hollywood to the Holy Land, Jihadists Reveal Their Global Plans to a Jew!" by Aaron Klein

http://www.amazon.com/Schmoozing-Terrorists-Hollywood-Jihadists-Reveal/dp/0979045126/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195160776&sr=1-1

Fascinating read.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #167 : November 15, 2007, 03:47:27 PM »

I'm reading three books right now:

The Rough Guide To Westerns (2006) - Paul Simpson, which I made some comments about in the general section.

Robert Altman's McCabe & Mrs. Miller - Reframing The American West (2007) Robert T. Self in depth analisys of the film.

Red Harvest - Dahiell Hammett, interesting read for two reasons I'm familiar with the areas Butte & Anaconda & Walkerville where the action takes place, and of course its connection to Yojimbo, A Fistfull Of Dollars, and Last Man Standing. Pretty good so far my only problem with Hammett is (and I've always though this from reading him before) he's like the Tarrantino of detective writers, he's more dialog driven rather than descriptive, I prefer Chandler, he can paint vivid mind movies. 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #168 : November 15, 2007, 07:50:14 PM »

CHARLES CHAPLIN - my autobiography
STEVE MCQUEEN - THE LAST MILE

both outstanding

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Franks Harmonica
Bandido

« #169 : November 21, 2007, 10:01:41 PM »

Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian"

Frank: "So you're the one who makes appointments"
Harmonica: "And you're the one who doesn't keep em"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #170 : November 22, 2007, 10:00:06 AM »

Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian"

Once the Kid joins the filibusters it really picks up, I also like McCarthy's use of some archaic terms, but his visual descriptions are very "leonesque". O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #171 : November 23, 2007, 01:31:54 PM »

It's rather funny when I say I'm reading "The Windhover", because it's so short... I'm supposed to write some 300-500 words about it for school and I don't know what to write...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #172 : November 23, 2007, 01:44:19 PM »

It's rather funny when I say I'm reading "The Windhover", because it's so short... I'm supposed to write some 300-500 words about it for school and I don't know what to write...
Surely you can spend a few words talking about the poem's use of alliteration, no? Maybe also its use of enjambment? And the bird is supposed to represent something, maybe?

« : November 23, 2007, 03:54:17 PM dave jenkins »

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #173 : November 23, 2007, 02:16:22 PM »

I'd rather skip all those technical things... I never was able to recognise accents or what is it called in English. Everytime we did it on grammar school, I always put them exactly in the places where they weren't... I guess that's my main problem with poetry. I love reading it, but I'm not able to analyze it.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #174 : November 23, 2007, 02:23:18 PM »

But, anyway, thanks for helping me... just by being here to read my complaints about it and trying to help. That's exactly what I always need: someone to share, so it pushes my thoughts forward. :) I think now I have a more distinct idea about it...

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #175 : November 23, 2007, 03:29:03 PM »

The Last Of The Mohicans - in English.

One of my favourite books, but I have only read it in Hungarian before. PS. I hated the Michael Mann film. It had nothing to do with the book...

"Does this unit have a soul?"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #176 : November 23, 2007, 03:43:09 PM »

PS. I hated the Michael Mann film. It had nothing to do with the book...

It really didn't. Even though I actually haven't read the book...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #177 : November 23, 2007, 03:58:40 PM »

I can't take James Fenimore Cooper seriously (not after having read what Mark Twain wrote about his books) so I don't mind films that diverge from the novels. I quite liked Mann's interpretation: lots of action, and the fort looked really good.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #178 : November 23, 2007, 04:03:38 PM »

I didn't like it when I saw it many years ago. Maybe I would like it more now. But I felt the romance there was rather reduntant; and I think that feeling wouldn't change with years...

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #179 : January 21, 2008, 02:34:30 PM »

Currently I'm reading Dalton Trumbo's Johnny Got His Gun. There should be a law that every nutcase who's considering joining any war ever had to read this book. The chapter ten is the greatest manifest of humanism of all times.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 86  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines