Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 06:58:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Ennio Morricone (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Who do you think is as good a composer as Morricone?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who do you think is as good a composer as Morricone?  (Read 34307 times)
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2007, 09:05:44 AM »

No way.

He's good, but he's no where near as good as Morricone

Nobody's as good as Morricone.  Because Morricone is the greatest.

But Hermann is damn great, and the Hermann-Hitchcock collaboration is just about as important as the Leone-Morricone collaboration.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2007, 11:32:16 AM »

I'd like to point out that James Horner has composed some Brilliant Scores as well and deserves to be talked about among all the Composers listed....

Field Of Dreams
Glory
Legends of the Fall
Braveheart
Titanic
Aliens
The Land Before Time
The Man Without a Face
Cocoon
The New World
Courage Under Fire
48 hrs.

I'm not a huge fan of Horner's, but his score for "Glory" is absolutely brilliant. The attack on Ft. Wagner is some of the most emotionally wrenching music ever written, in my opinion.

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2007, 12:44:12 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of Horner's, but his score for "Glory" is absolutely brilliant. The attack on Ft. Wagner is some of the most emotionally wrenching music ever written, in my opinion.

If you say that about Glory then I'm surprised you don't love Field of Dreams, Legends of the Fall, and Braveheart's soundtracks. The dwarf Glory's in terms of emotion in my humble opinion. Those soundtracks are some of the best ever.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2007, 12:49:15 PM »

I'd like to point out that James Horner has composed some Brilliant Scores as well and deserves to be talked about among all the Composers listed....

Field Of Dreams
Glory
Legends of the Fall
Braveheart
Titanic
Aliens
The Land Before Time
The Man Without a Face
Cocoon
The New World
Courage Under Fire
48 hrs.

Yeah Horner writes a lot of great unique scores. He does recycle some of his music though. But Braveheart, Titanic, Glory, and Legends of the Fall are among his best.

What do you guys think of Hans Zimmer?

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2007, 04:42:37 PM »

Yeah Horner writes a lot of great unique scores. He does recycle some of his music though. But Braveheart, Titanic, Glory, and Legends of the Fall are among his best.

What do you guys think of Hans Zimmer?

I'm a fan of Hans Zimmer myself. He's made some memorable score's as well. I'm very fond of his work in...

Gladiator
The Thin Red Line
Days of Thunder
Batman Begins
Pirates of The Caribbean: At World's End
Pearl Harbor
Radio Flyer
A League of Their Own
True Romance
The Lion King

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2007, 05:00:42 PM »

I didn't like Horner's score for Troy, but Aliens has a great score.

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2007, 05:41:05 PM »

I'm a fan of Hans Zimmer myself. He's made some memorable score's as well. I'm very fond of his work in...

Gladiator
The Thin Red Line
Days of Thunder
Batman Begins
Pirates of The Caribbean: At World's End
Pearl Harbor
Radio Flyer
A League of Their Own
True Romance
The Lion King

Yeah the score for Pearl Harbor was the only good thing about that movie, I thought Gladiator's score was better than that Crouching Tiger film, his dark knight score fior Batman Begins was clever, he didn't play the theme until the end of the credits, and James Newton Howard did the Bruce Wayne score.

I heard in At World's End he played tribute to Man with a Harmonica, I downloaded that track, and it was somewhat similar, but IMO not as brilliant as Morricone  Afro

Mw/NNrules
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2007, 06:14:29 PM »

Zimmer is good. I liked his score for The da Vinci Code (the film, I hated). I thought the score for POTC 1 was better then the one for POTC 3.

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2007, 06:42:20 PM »

I like Henry Mancini

The Pink Panther
Breakfast at Tiffany's

That's all I can think of right now, but he is talented.

I also love the scores for The Last Emperor and The Last of the Mohicans each done by two or more composers

The Forbiddon City music for The Last Emperor was done by of all people David Byrne of Talking Heads, but his core was beautiful. The other half of the soundtrack is done by Japanese composer Ryuichi Sakamoto, who delt with the main character's emotions. And there's one piece of music done by an Chinese composer Cong Su, who's music was the most traditional of all.

The music for The Last of the Mohicans was done by Randy Eldelmen and Trevor Jones, they composed a very powerful score. My favorite is The Kiss.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 07:00:58 PM by KevinJCBJK » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2007, 07:19:38 AM »

I'm a pretty big Zimmer fan, although I'll concede he's not the most versatile of composers. I think his instrumental work on "The Lion King" is his best work, beautiful, sweeping and moving, and complements the song score very well. He's a very good composer for action movies, and his scores for the POTC films are among the best of their kind. He's a big Morricone fan in case you guys weren't aware of that fact. Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2007, 11:19:14 AM »

If you say that about Glory then I'm surprised you don't love Field of Dreams, Legends of the Fall, and Braveheart's soundtracks. The dwarf Glory's in terms of emotion in my humble opinion. Those soundtracks are some of the best ever.

First of all, I never said I didn't, just that I'm not a big fan of his. In any case, I've never seen the former two films.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2007, 08:32:42 PM »

First of all, I never said I didn't, just that I'm not a big fan of his. In any case, I've never seen the former two films.

hahaha, geez Groggy, relax my friend. You're going to blow up!  Wink

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2007, 02:55:10 PM »

I'm a pretty big Zimmer fan, although I'll concede he's not the most versatile of composers. I think his instrumental work on "The Lion King" is his best work, beautiful, sweeping and moving, and complements the song score very well. He's a very good composer for action movies, and his scores for the POTC films are among the best of their kind. He's a big Morricone fan in case you guys weren't aware of that fact. Afro

Yeah I downloaded the track you were talking about. I think his work for Batman is better than Danny Elfman. *ducks from stones being cast*

Mw/NNrules
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2007, 03:52:12 PM »

What does everybody think is William's best score? Just a smalll question.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2007, 03:54:24 PM »

What does everybody think is William's best score? Just a smalll question.

I really like "Munich", for the moment that would probably be the best. I like some of the themes from "Star Wars", particularly the Imperial March, and the "Jurassic Park" Main Theme.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM