Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 12:20:20 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Mystery Science Theatre 3000 (1996)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mystery Science Theatre 3000 (1996)  (Read 4021 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »

This is the movie version of the popular cult show.
Wow, and I thought watching This Island Earth was tough enough as it was.
This makes the experience even more unbearable.
I've never watched an episode of the show but I knew what I was in for.
Two robots making sarcastic comments to a movie screen showing a bad scifi flick from the 50's or 60's.
I gotta tell ya, I've heard funnier comments at the local theatre from a 12 year old.
Some of the jokes are smirk worthy but most of it is so intrusive that you find yourself trying to pay attention to the actual movie rather than waiting for the robots comments like your supposed to.

This Island Earth 3/10

This movie 1/10

I want to see my copy of OK CONNERY which stars Sean Connery's brother as a 007 type but I believe it is the MST3000 version...ugh!

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 02:23:37 PM »

I grew up watching the show on Saturday mornings with Mike Nelson as the host, and I have to somewhat agree with your assessment of the show/movie. Now that I'm older, and hopefully a bit wiser, I find the Joel Hodgson years to be much funnier and smarter in general. In my not so humble opinion Joel Hodgson was the sole creative force that made that show successful. Mike Nelson's jokes simply weren't up to par with Hodgson's dry wit. Hodgson never cared about his audience in terms of whether or not they may understand a certain joke or reference, he just went with it. Nelson seemed to cater to the masses a bit more, usually making jokes with a more universal appeal, instead of gags about obscure 1940s supporting actors or something of that nature. I recently (like three days ago) saw the majority of MST3K The Movie and was completely disappointed, it seemed rather dumbed down and largely uninteresting. Nelson certainly had his moments of comedy gold but it can't compare to Hodgson on any level.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 08:25:10 PM by Tuco Harmonica » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 02:53:52 PM »

On the contrary, I find Mike to be infinitely funnier than Joel, in every conceivable way.

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 03:27:37 PM »

no you.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 03:38:05 PM »

no you.

Yes me. Cheesy

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 06:48:14 PM »

I'm jumping on the Joel bandwagon, i think he's just way more appealing to me now then mike is. As a kid a grew up watching mike nelsons run on the show and looking back i see why he was much more appealing as a kid. The Jokes where generally geared more towards my age group (not all of them of course, but enough to keep a child to watch such terrible movies).

Now that i see Hodgesons form of MST it just makes much more sense to me. The sort of irreverance Joel had whenever he would host or when he joined riffing with with tom and crowe. Mike would always mediate the two and qwelled them down while joel would just let them have at it.

It's kinda like Pre-"a night at the opera" marx brothers as opposed to Post-"NATO" marx

The Pre being much more anarchistic and out of control (Joel) and the more toned down post (mike)

That being said i still like them both, but i prefer Joel much more then Mike.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 08:56:11 PM »

I liked Joel well-enough, but his stoner schtick got very tiresome at times. I never liked the invention exchanges, to be honest - very few were funny. The Mike era was admittedly more mean-spirited and occasionally off-the-wall at times, but IMO it also had more wit and intelligence. Plus, I liked Mike himself better.

The relationship between the Robots and Joel/Mike did differ; Joel was the creator and they treated him as a father figure, while Mike was sort of a brother or room mate that they liked to rag on. I liked the Bots' love-hate relationship with Mike a lot more than their almost awed relationship with Joel, personally.

I will say I prefer Trace Beaulieu as Crow to Bill Corbett (although he was only there for the last few years), and Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank to Pearl and the other knuckleknobs. But that's not really a big factor for me.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 09:27:09 PM »

I'm gonna take advantage of this thread to post some of my fave MST3K host segments from YouTube. Cheesy

I'll start off with this one since I just watched it:

The '70s song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blt0YiMla1A&feature=related

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 10:48:51 AM »

I'm a big fan of the show and I find the movie to be a mediocre effort on their part. I kind of wonder if it was just to promote the show on a larger level. I don't think it's a good representative of the show at all.

I prefer the Mike years and the Sci-Fi Channel seasons. There are certain jokes that will always stay with me Grin

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 02:46:46 PM »

I'm a big fan of the show and I find the movie to be a mediocre effort on their part. I kind of wonder if it was just to promote the show on a larger level. I don't think it's a good representative of the show at all.

I prefer the Mike years and the Sci-Fi Channel seasons. There are certain jokes that will always stay with me Grin

Good man. Afro The movie isn't their best work but it's a pretty good intro to the series, I thought. Its biggest flaws are its ridiculously short length (at 77 minutes, it's almost 15 minutes shorter than the average TV episode) and the lack of a sidekick for Dr. F - and the humor is rather dumbed down for mass consumption. Still, I find it very enjoyable.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:47:53 PM by Groggy » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM