Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 10:33:29 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The different versions of OUATITW
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The different versions of OUATITW  (Read 2099 times)
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2004, 10:28:18 AM »

This topic has been discussed before,but I don't think anyone has ever given a definitive answer.The question is simple:how many different versions of OUATITW are there?

As far as I know,there are three:

1)The butchered version which was shown in the USA when the movie was originally released.This version is lacking the scene with Jill,Cheyenne and Harmonica in the water(?) station,the death of Cheyenne at the end and Harmonica rising after being shot at the beginning.There may be some more scenes missing too.

2)The "usual" version,or the most common version,which has the abovementioned scenes.

3)The longest (?) official version,which is available,I think,in the Italian OUATITW DVD.This version has at least a scene where Morton plays with a toy soldier in the train with the tied-up Harmonica watching.

Can anyone give some further information on this matter?To help you on your way,here are some questions:

-Is there a four-hour version available somewhere?Has it ever been released anywhere officially (on video,for instance)?Or is the Italian version the four-hour version?

-Is the Italian DVD version available elsewhere?Has it been aired on TV or shown in movies in some corner of the world?

-What other new/extra scenes are there in the long Italian version of the movie?

-What other scenes were omitted from the butchered version?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 04:44:59 PM »

The scene where Morton plays with the toy soldier is in the current DVD, but I think it happens just before Bronson is captured, in fact I think it happens just before Wobbles arrives at the train. Though I could be wrong.

It may be another scene. I think Morton just grabs it not plays with it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 05:39:59 PM »

The Quicktime file I have is 2.45 MB and shows tied-up Harmonica watching while Morton stands the fallen figurine upright; Morton is upset that the toy has fallen over and quickly stands him up, a parallel to his own difficulty standing, needing help to stand.  The scene is 42 seconds long.  Maybe I could E-mail or copy onto CD and mail to board sponsor Cal and he could add it to the Once/West page as a "selection" button.

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 01:16:17 PM »

I just watched the file myself,and the scene does happen with the tied-up Harmonica watching.The video clip was available on the old site in OUATITW page.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM