Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 06:06:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Remaking Remakes of Remakes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Remaking Remakes of Remakes  (Read 1408 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2008, 03:15:25 PM »

Great article by DVD Savant, I thought some of you might be interested in.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s2655rema.html

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:22:15 PM »

Great article Groggy. That was a fun read. It is indeed true that Hollywood's imagination is shrinking. What a shame.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:57:09 PM »

Remake of This Island Earth?
Okay, fine.
but good luck.

A lot of hate for that Blob remake.
I find it to be much better than the very poor Steve Mcqueen original.
If only they hadn't screwed around with the Blob's origin then it would have been much better.
The only entertainment value the original has to offer is the campy theme song.

"Day of the Triffids (1963). John Wyndham classic of walking plants in a post-apocalyptic nightmare, awkwardly mounted. (actually revisited for UK television)"

I like the original but it isn't great. It could use a remake but they would only make the plants CGI and who needs that?

"The Crawling Eye (1958). Aliens hiding on an Alpine mountaintop use telepathy to attract their victims. Wonderful atmosphere, needs better special effects".

The Crawling Eye doesn't need a remake.
Why would I want to see a CGI rendering of the fabulous tumors (with one eye and tentacles!) from the original?
Chances are the monsters from this movie wouldn't look "up to date" with today's audiences expectations and they would change their appearence drastically making them look stupid/generic.
Remakes should only be made if the original had a good concept but didn't deliver the goods.
This movie does.

With the recent announcement of the DTESS remake it seems to me that it's open season on every scifi movie from the 50's and 60's.
Is nothing sacred anymore? 
There still are half-way original ideas out there for these kinds of films.
Check out Slither.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 05:00:11 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 05:04:42 PM »

An industry expert isn't needed to explain why remakes happen -- movies based upon properties already established in the public consciousness have an advantage. The worldwide news of a rediscovered complete version of Metropolis has made it a better remake candidate: more people now know about Lang's classic. That's why studios prefer to develop ongoing franchises over cinematic one-shots, and option books instead of commissioning screenplays. Original works require the gambling spirit, a quality that departed with the moguls. Studio committees favor a property with some kind of quantifiable track record, if only to cover their corporate tails.
True as far as it goes, but the fact remains that the typical dipshit going into a cineplex these days knows nothing of the original being remade, particularly if the original was in b&w. As I've said elsewhere, the appeal to pedigree is one that impresses the suits, not the people laying the money down. Some remakes succeed, others fail, but industry mavins continue to make decisions based only on past successes (they can't see opportunities in past failures). The suits have heard of Metropolis, for example, so they convince themselves that it has name recognition value with the public at large. There is no one to tell them otherwise, so the Hollywood circle-jerk continues. A pox upon 'em.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 05:17:57 PM »

Nice article. But IT CONQUERED THE WORLD (Starring Lee Van Cleef!) didn't have radio controls in peoples necks. It was flying creatures that came off the alien invader. This film was also remade in 1966 as ZONTAR, THE THING FROM VENUS from trash filmmaker Larry Buchanan who specialized in remaking earlier sci fi quickies. His THE EYE CREATURES 1965 was a remake of INVASION OF THE SAUCER MEN which had memorable alien creatures. His CREATURE OF DESTRUCTION was also a remake of that same film.

I don't see the connection though between the awful GODZILLA remake and BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS when in actuality, producer Tomoyuki Tanaka was inspired by the Lourie film from 1953 (which also featured Lee Van Cleef!) for the original GODZILLA in addition to added inspiration from traveling over the sea by plane and imagining a giant creature emerging from the ocean.

And I didn't see the article mention how that lame INDEPENDENCE DAY was unacknowledged remake of the original WAR OF THE WORLDS.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM