Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 10:37:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Bravados (1958)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bravados (1958)  (Read 11213 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 08:44:27 AM »

Yeah it's pretty excellent. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »

I have to disagree with T.H above; I am fairly certain that Frayling has mentioned The Bravados' references in Leone films, both in STDWD and in the dvd commentary to FAFDM.

SPOILER ALERT

The one (minor) issue I had with the film is that you figure out pretty early that those 4 are not guilty of killing Peck's wife; I wish they had kept that more subtle, as a surprise closer to the end of the film; I wish we wouldn't have realized it until the Peck character himself did....

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:54:10 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 01:30:38 PM »

...Post proof?

Whether or not he gives this movie credit - I don't remember any references in STDWD - Frayling leaves out a lot of films that clearly influenced Leone. That's not s knock against him, I enjoy his work.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 02:12:04 PM »

1. on the FAFDM dvd commentary, in the scene of Mortimer's duel with Wild, Frayling notes that the Mortimer character can be considered something of an amalgamation of prior Van Cleef characters, considering the pocketwatch with the picture from The Bravados, and the hidden derringer (which his character had Gunfight at OK Corral had)

2. From STDWD:

p. 173 (discussing FAFDM):

"If the key Hollywood influence on Fistful was Shane, the model this time around was Vera Cruz.... Another important influence was Henry King's The Bravados (1958), in which black-clad Gregory Peck tracks down four convicts whom he thinks killed his wife and child, and shows them a picture of his wife, in a pocket-watch, just before he executes them."

(btw, Frayling has it backwards; it was only Peck's wife who was killed, but the picture in the pocket-watch is of his wife and kid).

p. 184 (discussing Lee Van Cleef's performances in Westerns prior to FAFDM):

"In The Bravados he'd been hunted through the tall grass by the obsessed Jim Douglas (Gregory Peck), who proceeded to show him a photo inside a pocket-watch to jog his memory before shooting him dead. Van Cleef had not made a film since 1962. But those Westerns had lodged in Leone's mind; he could recite whole passages from The Bravados as if they were performance poetry.

p. 185

"He (Van Cleef) was impressed that this Italian film director knew so much about High Noon and The Bravados, but did not appear to notice that the Colonel's chiming watch, with his sister's photograph, was directly derived from the latter film. Characteristically, Leone had chosen Van Cleef for visual reasons, and cinematic associations....."

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:06:48 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 02:51:25 PM »

...Post proof?

Whether or not he gives this movie credit - I don't remember any references in STDWD - Frayling leaves out a lot of films that clearly influenced Leone. That's not s knock against him, I enjoy his work.

I don't have Something To Do With Death but he does spend a sentence or two talking about the parallels between FAFDM and The Bravados, making special note of Lee Van Cleef's presence in both.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 03:44:35 PM »

I don't have Something To Do With Death but he does spend a sentence or two talking about the parallels between FAFDM and The Bravados, making special note of Lee Van Cleef's presence in both.

I keep my copy of STDWD near me at all times. I owe Frayling a great debt for opening the world of Leone to me Smiley

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 04:06:41 PM »

I regret to say I threw my copy away awhile ago. It was getting pretty beat-up and all attempts to hold the cover together failed.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 04:15:43 PM »

I own my copy for less than a year, but considering the frequency with which I reference it, it'll probably suffer the same fate as yours...  Wink

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 04:42:14 PM »

I own my copy for less than a year, but considering the frequency with which I reference it, it'll probably suffer the same fate as yours...  Wink

Definitely. The problem for me is finding an affordable replacement.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 05:07:03 PM »

yeah, they aren't cheap, but you can get used copies off Amazon for under $20 (before shipping costs). I wish they'd have printed STDWD in hardcover. I know it is a very big book and would be expensive as a hardcover, but at least it would last...

-------------------------------

btw, I easily found the above info RE: STDWD's mentions of The Bravados using the Index in back of that book. It lists every movie (and person, among other nouns) mentioned in the book, and the page number on which that particular item is mentioned. Eg. it says "The Bravados (film) 173, 184, 185."
I have found the Index in STDWD to be very useful  Afro

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:09:57 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »

Thanks for posting the links. I stand corrected on The Bravados.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 11:01:57 PM »

Just watched FAFDM with Frayling's commentary again, and there is yet another time he mentions The Bravados: at 15:17 of the movie (during the scene where Monco is playing cards with Red Cavanaugh), Frayling says that Leone acknowledged that FAFDM was a homage to Vera Cruz and The Bravados

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM