Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 09:10:59 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ballata per un pistolero aka Pistoleros/Ballad of a Gunman (1967)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ballata per un pistolero aka Pistoleros/Ballad of a Gunman (1967)  (Read 3257 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2007, 06:19:55 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061381/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/ballata_pistolero.htm

A not bad one. I wouldn't care to watch it again, but it is much better than many other ones. For one, the director tries to invent new solutions to cliched situations, not sparing a good dose of sadism which in SW is always a sign of originality. The story moves, though it doesn't invent anything new. And also there is an effort by the director to elaborate some not in the cliched visual solutions which keep the movie being not boring. I think the weakest spot is the competition between the 2 leads (one is the Michael Corleone's treacherous bodyguard Angelo Infanti) on who is gonna deliver the most unexpressive performance.  Score competent and ummemorable.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 04:07:48 AM »

Leone Admirer's review from the SW Virgins Guide:-

Pistoleros

This was a strange film. Despite the fact that it quite heavily takes the major plot points from FAFDM such as two gunmen, one young, one old after a leader of a  gang. The Young one (Nigros) because of the rich bounty on the gang member (El Bedoja) and the other (Kud) for reasons of revenge. They foil the robbery of a safe from a bank (very Leone) before both hunting the group down.
       The film was enjoyable but it was very, very Leone esque. From the choice in editing, direction and cinematography as well as the music sounding like they had taken major cues from More such as the watch chiming. However the film fails in its copying of such a great film. The killer, Bedoja, whilst killing innocent people doesn't have the same menace as Volante's villain in FAFDM Similarily, for Kud we don't have much sympathy for his tale of vengence, for one reason because the flash back later is very poorly done and secondly because the character doesn't seem to be burning with desire to kill Bedoja, unlike Col. Mortimer in Leone's film.
       The film looks nice, cinematography is servicable, helping the action on screen and editing seems to help the story move at a brisk pace. The acting was generally of a good standard, but i found the music lacking in quality in some scenes.
       Wild East's DVD is a bit of a mixed bag. The film is presented (for the first time) in an Anamorphic print, taken from an Italian version. The film looks very nice, despite the fact that there is some damage to the print, colors are very strong, shadows are well defined and there is little extraneous noise. However the audio is terrible, dialogue is surrounded and almost drowned out by very audible hiss. There are audio drop outs in which dialogue is completely missing. I presume this is the best WE had to work with but its a shame when compared to the very good visual quality.
      Included on the DVD are some entertaining Anthony Ghidra trailers, another exhaustive picture gallery as well as the English language version opening credits.
     This film was entertaining but seemed to copy too much the superior For A Few Dollars More. I consider Pistoleros to be a minor tentpole in the great genre that is spaghetti westerns. If your a big fan of the genre, you might want to check it out. It maybe of use to show to people who only know of Leone's works because of their major simularities. Anyway it gave me another night of Spaghetti enjoyment.

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 02:32:46 PM »

Have you seen it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061381/

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 05:47:47 PM »

It's FAFDM without the score, stars or Leone.
Fist fights are great though!

Not bad. Not great either.

By the way, this thread already exists...

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2279.0

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:37:56 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM