Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 10:15:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A change in the voices of Tuco and Blondie
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A change in the voices of Tuco and Blondie  (Read 4004 times)
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2008, 01:35:34 PM »

In the scene where Blondie and Tuco are riding on the wagon, just before they get captured and taken to the prison camp, their voices seem to 'change' as does the delivery of their lines.   Their voices sound as if they've been 'voiced over'.  Is it possible (or true) that this scene was dubbed in in the English version of the movie?  They both sound out of character in the way they deliver their lines in this scene - and they're both a tad-bit 'slow' when speaking. 

I also noticed that in this scene, Blondie is driving the wagon while Tuco reads the map to Sad Hill.  Suddenly, the scene changes and Tuco is driving the wagon and Blondie is taking a nap.   Is there a scene missing where the quick change occurs?  I'm just curious 'cause it appears that way.   Thanks for the insight!   Wink

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 03:22:50 PM »

Those scenes were never dubbed into English and they brought Eli & Clint back into a studio to dub their lines 40 years later, so they sound like the old men they are. It probably would have been better to just get mimic voice actors to do it like they did for Van Cleef's scenes.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 09:01:05 PM »

Those scenes were never dubbed into English and they brought Eli & Clint back into a studio to dub their lines 40 years later, so they sound like the old men they are. It probably would have been better to just get mimic voice actors to do it like they did for Van Cleef's scenes.

Age does not forgive, does it?  Wink

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 11:37:27 PM »

LOL, bandeloro - good one - and no, I don't think age does forgive - hehehe.

I had thought that it was dubbed in, considering the voice changes; thought perhaps it was two different mens' voices from the Italian version translated into English, then the scene dubbed in.  Thanks again, CJ, for the insight on that -  Wink

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 04:57:17 PM »

Its more obvious in the Cave scene that Wallachs' is an old mans voice

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 07:57:54 PM »

I'll listen more closely to Tuco's voice in the cave scene next time I see it - thanks!   Wink

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 11:47:40 AM »

They wouldn't need to have the same driver in the wagon; assume they had traveled days, not hours, from the monastery.

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 05:46:49 PM »

That's true, Cusser.  I had thought about that, too, that it's assumed that they were travelling a long ways after leaving the monastery.   I think that the quick change of scenes where Blondie is driving the carriage and then Tuco and what happened between that change is left up for speculation - perhaps we can make up our own assumptions as to where they were, who they met along the way, etc.  I find it rather fun to think of what or who they saw before they got stopped by the 'drunk Captain's' men. - lol.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 09:13:50 PM »

Read the time line topic near the top of the list of topics, calamity jane, it will give you a time length so you have an idea of how long it took  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 12:27:46 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up on the timeline, CJ.   I forgot about that post, actually - lol. 

il brutto
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 03:10:33 AM »

I guess Leone shows the change of driver intentionally, in order to prove that a long time had passed since they left the mission.

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 02:44:56 PM »

That's a great possibility.  I had thought that, too, but just couldn't put it into words - lol.

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 02:30:04 AM »

Yes, I have always thought that the point of the shift showed that one slept whilst the other 'drove'.
It would look like an oversight had just Clint been driving the whole time

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 12:02:47 PM »

That's true, although even if Blondie was driving all that time, I wouldn't necessarily call it an 'oversight' if Blondie was driving the whole time because that would have shown that they weren't on the road for a long period of time, but considering they were (and back in those days, you had to travel quite a ways to go from town to town) travelling a long time, that's the reason for the 'switch'.  Cheesy

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM