Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:38:08 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What's your favorite scene in GBU?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3]
: What's your favorite scene in GBU?  ( 16060 )
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

« #30 : September 08, 2008, 01:44:04 PM »

What do you mean saying that the guy was either part of the choir or was an altar boy? You mean he had that role in the church before the war? This was in the script? I don’t think this could add something to the beauty of this scene, but it wolud be interesting to know some more.

If you notice, he (the dying young man) was laying in a church.  As Blondie and Tuco are walking toward the ruins of the church, you can clearly see that that's where Blondie and Tuco are going - straight to the church.  Yes, Tuco either sees the dying young man and doesn't care, or he doesn't see him at all - all Tuco cares about is the gold, as that is all that's on his mind.    The reason why I assumed the dying young man was involved with the church somehow (either in the choir, an altarboy, etc.) was because he was in the church and died in the church.   It's just a conclusion I came up with - that's all.  I could, of course, be wrong, but it's a part of the movie that isn't quite clear as to whether the unfortunate young man was involved in the church or was just in there at the wrong time or if he was wounded during the fighting and was brought there to be treated - who knows?   It's just something that came to mind; a  possibility of why the dying young man was in the church.

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

« #31 : September 08, 2008, 02:00:54 PM »

Thanks Calamity, I just searched in the movie page inside the “Imdb” site and found a certain William Conroy credited as “confederate soldier”. It could be him, but there are not other clues.

You're very welcome - :D  I looked it up myself, but the actor, William Conrad, could also be the confederate soldier that the drunk captain told to go make out his will or the one that said, "Follow Me" to Tuco and Blondie when they were being led to the drunk captain, but these are just guesses - I'm not sure myself.  I've been looking on other GBU websites, hoping to find more info on the name of the actor who played the role of the dying young man (or soldier), but so far, no luck.  If I find out anything, I'll certainly post it here!  :D

iceman
Bounty Killer

« #32 : September 08, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »

You're very welcome - :D  I looked it up myself, but the actor, William Conrad, could also be the confederate soldier that the drunk captain told to go make out his will or the one that said, "Follow Me" to Tuco and Blondie when they were being led to the drunk captain, but these are just guesses - I'm not sure myself.  I've been looking on other GBU websites, hoping to find more info on the name of the actor who played the role of the dying young man (or soldier), but so far, no luck.  If I find out anything, I'll certainly post it here!  :D

The confederates were on the other side of the river. It was the Unions that caught Blondie and Tuco as was the Captain and the one that said follow me.

It could be one of the confeds in the prison camp or the one executed or the one on the front of the train or the one in the church.....

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

« #33 : September 08, 2008, 11:15:30 PM »

Well, I was never good with war history, so I'm embarrassed to say I wasn't sure who were the confeds and who were the others - lol.  I'll have to brush up on my history of war  O0.  Anyway, you're right - it certainly could have been any of those characters, but which one, is not quite clear.  It's too general of a term (confederate soldier), so it could be any one of them.  I just assumed that the dying young man in the church was affiliated with the church because he was inside and dying from his wounds.   Of course, that scenario doesn't play out, so we really don't know why the young man was in the church.   He either was a part of the church somehow or he was brought into the church by another soldier or he could have staggered inside after being wounded - for protection.  Leone wasn't clear on that scene, so all we can do is really surmise or assume why he was in there.

I haven't found anything yet on his name, but I'll keep hunting and see if there's a detailed cast and crew credits.  The hunt goes on - lol.

il brutto
Bandido

« #34 : September 09, 2008, 01:04:55 AM »

Angel Eyes showed his human side during his visit to the Conferedare fort, and Blondie showed his in the scene with the dying soldier. However, I think Tuco also showed his human side during his conversation with his brother Father Ramírez.

You are right Bandolero, I love those two scenes too. When Angel Eyes visits the confederate fort, it is amazing how he expresses his disapproval for what he sees with a simple shaking of his head. Once again there is no need for words to communicate the feelings of a character in this wonderful movie. Even the evil Angel Eyes appears somehow human compared to the atrocity of war, that’s why I said he could behave the same way with the dying soldier.
As far as Tuco is concerned, the scene with his brother is one of the best ot the movie, he also shows his human side. But I think he is different from the other two characters, who have a kind of ethics in their life, absloutely personal and that of course cannot be approved, but from their point of view Blondie and Sentenza somehow separate what is good from what is bad. Tuco doesn’t, maybe depending on his experience as a child (as he tells during the meeting with Pablo) his only philosophy is to get from life all he can get, considering people he meets on his way just an obstacle to remove or a chance to take advantage from.

il brutto
Bandido

« #35 : September 09, 2008, 01:13:04 AM »

If you notice, he (the dying young man) was laying in a church.  As Blondie and Tuco are walking toward the ruins of the church, you can clearly see that that's where Blondie and Tuco are going - straight to the church.  Yes, Tuco either sees the dying young man and doesn't care, or he doesn't see him at all - all Tuco cares about is the gold, as that is all that's on his mind.    The reason why I assumed the dying young man was involved with the church somehow (either in the choir, an altarboy, etc.) was because he was in the church and died in the church.   It's just a conclusion I came up with - that's all.  I could, of course, be wrong, but it's a part of the movie that isn't quite clear as to whether the unfortunate young man was involved in the church or was just in there at the wrong time or if he was wounded during the fighting and was brought there to be treated - who knows?   It's just something that came to mind; a  possibility of why the dying young man was in the church.

I see, my opinion is that the soldier unfortunately found himself inside the church (maybe for praying) when it was bombed , or was brought there after being wounded during the battle. But to me is not so important, the strength of the scene with Blondie and the dying soldier is so impressive that it can live alone, even without any connection to the movie.

il brutto
Bandido

« #36 : September 09, 2008, 01:29:02 AM »

It could be one of the confeds in the prison camp or the one executed or the one on the front of the train or the one in the church.....

ICE

It could also be the half soldier...anyway we have to assume that if IMDB has credited William Conroy as "confederate soldier", he must have some kind of role in the movie, even a small role but not being anyone of many confederate soldier who just appear in the film.
So to me he could be:
- Diying soldier in the church
- Half soldier
- The one talking with Blondie in the POW camp
- Soldier receiving Tuco at the confederate camp and sending him to San Antonio mission

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

« #37 : September 09, 2008, 11:14:08 AM »

He could have also been the one that Tuco yells to "Down with General Grant...."; and then the soldier gives them both an angry stare as he brushes himself off.   

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #38 : September 09, 2008, 11:29:27 AM »

He could have also been the one that Tuco yells to "Down with General Grant...."; and then the soldier gives them both an angry stare as he brushes himself off.   

Nope; that guy was a Union soldier.

: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines