Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 05:04:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "John Adams" - HBO original mini-series.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "John Adams" - HBO original mini-series.  (Read 3558 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2008, 01:36:42 PM »

A miniseries on the life of John Adams (Paul Giamatti) and the first 50 years of the United States.

Now that this great mini-series has been released on DVD, I'm sure a lot of you have had the chance to see it since it was running on HBO. I was wondering what everyone's overall thoughts were about this. Did HBO do a great job? Did Paul Giamatti do a good job of portaying John Adams? Let us know what you think.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 12:41:42 PM »

I really want to see this, though I wouldn't think Giamatti would be good as Adams. But I could be wrong.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 12:45:08 PM »

I really want to see this, though I wouldn't think Giamatti would be good as Adams. But I could be wrong.

Wow, someone with some good taste here finally responded to this great thread. Thanks rrpower! Afro Anyway, I personally thought Giamatti did a great job here. Decide for yourself though. The DVD is worth picking up.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 12:50:08 PM »

Here's the brilliant intro theme to "John Adams." And no, Ennio Morricone didn't compose the music so many member's here will hate it because of that fact. Anyway, here it is. It sounds like a mixture of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS and DEADWOOD themes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6DPeCXV5bI

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 06:36:14 PM »

I just watched the first episode on Sidereel. A bit slow-moving, but on the whole I was impressed. Giamatti was quite good. I'm definitely going to watch the rest of it in due course. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 10:09:44 PM »

I just watched the first episode on Sidereel. A bit slow-moving, but on the whole I was impressed. Giamatti was quite good. I'm definitely going to watch the rest of it in due course. Afro

I'm happy you finally started to watch.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 10:17:55 PM »

I'm happy you finally started to watch.

Finally? I had to track it down on the Internet. I don't get HBO in my dorm.

In any case, I watched the second episode directly after the first, and was even more impressed by that one. The whole cast is top notch - David Morse, Zeljko Ivanek and Tom Wilkinson gave great "guest star" performances - and since I already praised Giamatti, I should say I'm loving Laura Linney as Abigail Adams. I'll try to have the rest of the series cleaned up by the end of the week. I did it with The Tudors episodes I'd missed last week, so I'm sure I'll be able to find time.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 11:41:30 PM »

Finally? I had to track it down on the Internet. I don't get HBO in my dorm.

In any case, I watched the second episode directly after the first, and was even more impressed by that one. The whole cast is top notch - David Morse, Zeljko Ivanek and Tom Wilkinson gave great "guest star" performances - and since I already praised Giamatti, I should say I'm loving Laura Linney as Abigail Adams. I'll try to have the rest of the series cleaned up by the end of the week. I did it with The Tudors episodes I'd missed last week, so I'm sure I'll be able to find time.

Yes, finally.  Wink

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »

Watched episode four tonight, and I'll be damned if Tom Hollander didn't show up for a brief cameo as King George. Cheesy My only complaint with the last two episodes is that they covered too much time too quickly, but perhaps that's inevitable given the format. I'm most interested to see the show now that John is entering the political arena, and that he's reunited with his family.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 10:09:56 AM »

Just watched the last episode. After the slow third and forth episodes it picked up again afterwards. Episode 6 was probably the best of the lot, although the last episode was pretty weak. Still, on the whole enjoyed the series a great deal. 8/10 for the whole.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 10:12:15 AM »

Here's the brilliant intro theme to "John Adams." And no, Ennio Morricone didn't compose the music so many member's here will hate it because of that fact. Anyway, here it is. It sounds like a mixture of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS and DEADWOOD themes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6DPeCXV5bI

Indeed, the music score is fabulous. I downloaded that video onto my MP3 player and I've been listening to it constantly for the past few days.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 10:12:50 AM »

My thoughts on the series as a whole:

http://nothingiswrittenfilm.blogspot.com/2008/10/john-adams-birthing-liberty.html

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM