Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 10:46:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Green Berets (1968)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Green Berets (1968)  (Read 7289 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2008, 02:19:01 PM »

Col. Mike Kirby (John Wayne) picks two teams of crack Green Berets for a mission in South Vietnam. The first First is to build and control a camp that is trying to be taken by the enemy. And the second mission is to kidnap a North Vietnamese General.

Upon it's release, it was one of the most controversial films ever created (by the left-wing media of course). It was often considered right-wing propaganda but I highly disagree. There is war film after war film being released with an anti-war message and that's okay by most but when a film is released in dedication to our men in uniform, it gets panned. I'll never get it. I think this is one of the best war-films ever made and John Wayne did a stellar job as usual.

Here's a SOLDIERS VIEW on the film from IMDB:

This film is often criticised by the left wing film critics because they judge all films by their twisted politics.Its a film about men defending villages and people from cruel oppressors. The film is in two parts the first showing what life is like living under constant attack,the second involves a dangerous mission.The film captures the tension of a war zone and the difficulty of knowing which side some of the soldiers are on,treacherous acts are never far away.The film shows the hatred of the south for the north which John Wayne looks disapprovingly on.The cast includes the typical USA Sgt played by Aldo Ray,the trig/comedy part of the scrounger played by Jim Hutton and the kindly Doc. The village ransacked by the Vietcong is movingly done and the battle scenes very well done and quite violent for the movies release date,so watch this movie and leave your prejudices aside and you will be gripped by it. 8/10

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 02:38:45 PM »

Mediocre and formulaic. I didn't mind the pro-war stance so much as the paint-by-the-numbers plot and execution.

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 04:12:33 PM »

Mediocre and formulaic. I didn't mind the pro-war stance so much as the paint-by-the-numbers plot and execution.

Why am I not surprised by your opinion Groggy? Afro

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 04:15:10 PM »

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 04:49:54 PM »

Really? Because i thought it was Mediocre and formulaic but I didn't mind the pro-war stance so much as the paint-by-the-numbers plot and execution.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 04:55:31 PM »

Why am I not surprised by your opinion Groggy? Afro

I have a modicum of taste, maybe? Cheesy

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 05:05:14 PM »

I saw this on TCM a while back.

It was unremarkable and cliche.  I didn't care about the right-wing politics so much as the predictable story and manner in which it was carried out.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 05:50:49 PM »

Most war films are predictable. I knew this would gain a lot of criticism here. Not surprised by that.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 05:57:29 PM »

Well obviously we're not the only people who think it sucks, considering it has a 5 on IMDb.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 05:58:49 PM »

And it's quite frequently listed as being one of the Worst Films of All Time. Cheesy

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 06:03:11 PM »

Well obviously we're not the only people who think it sucks, considering it has a 5 on IMDb.

IMDB? You're using the horrible rating system of IMDB as a reference? Give me a break. The only reason why it has a low rating is because of it's political message, period.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 06:27:18 PM »

IMDB? You're using the horrible rating system of IMDB as a reference? Give me a break. The only reason why it has a low rating is because of it's political message, period.

Well, that, and it sucks. If you can find a single positive critical review of the film, I'd be surprised.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 07:33:33 PM »

I don't think people on IMDB are smart enough to pay attention to political messages in John Wayne films.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 10:27:06 PM »

I don't think people on IMDB are smart enough to pay attention to political messages in John Wayne films.

This is also true.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 10:39:59 PM »

That and the fact that it's one of the most irresponsible movies I've seen imo. Even if you try to look at Berets through an objective lens, it's still a giant turd.

I can't neglect the fact that there were 17 year old kids who watched Berets and got sent home in a box as a result. Sure you can make the argument that someone's life improved because of their Vietnam service, which may be true for a very select few. I would counter with the fact that about a 1/3 of US soldiers were addicted to heroin during the war, and in turn, made up 1/3 of America's homeless population when they returned to their homeland. Oh, and the fact that I have a crazy uncle due to this silly, pointless war. Again, sorry for the politics. I really try to avoid political discourse but you know sometimes you have to get all poolitekal and stuff.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM