Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:24:56 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Green Berets (1968)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: The Green Berets (1968)  ( 15406 )
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #15 : September 09, 2008, 09:49:01 PM »

I have a dad who served a tour and became a decorated intelligence officer. I find your argument to be just as vacuous as the argument that an anti-war film undermines the troops and is thus "irresponsible". Should no war movies, therefore, be made during a time of war? What does it say about the individual if he's so gullible as to enlist after watching a movie? Considering that the draft was still in use then, I think that is far more to blame than a movie.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #16 : September 09, 2008, 09:53:44 PM »

This is also true.

Not true at all. I come across political posts everyday on IMDB. It's more political influenced than you think.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #17 : September 09, 2008, 10:10:25 PM »

I have a dad who served a tour and became a decorated intelligence officer. I find your argument to be just as vacuous as the argument that an anti-war film undermines the troops and is thus "irresponsible". Should no war movies, therefore, be made during a time of war? What does it say about the individual if he's so gullible as to enlist after watching a movie? Considering that the draft was still in use then, I think that is far more to blame than a movie.

The Vietnam war was an absolute disaster on all fronts and movies shouldn't be made gloryfying the hell that many had to endure during those years. It's completely irresponsible film by all means. I think it's quite tasteless for Hollywood or any other film production company to make movies about a war in progress, especially when the average American gets a glimpse of the daily atrocities on their nightly news, which makes Berets even more ridiculous. I don't know how much blame it truly deserves, if any at all, but the film makes me want to vomit due to its tastelessness. Obviously the draft has a bigger impact than a John Wayne movie, but that doesn't make Berets any less irresponsible in my mind.

I agree that a person like you or I would never be so gullible but the sad fact that many people are indeed that gullible, thinking life is an action movie.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #18 : September 09, 2008, 10:23:14 PM »

Do you feel the same way about the movies being made about Iraq?

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19 : September 09, 2008, 10:35:25 PM »

Do you feel the same way about the movies being made about Iraq?

Definitely.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #20 : September 10, 2008, 12:04:48 AM »

I don't see anything wrong with war films being made at a time of war. Many soldiers welcome this anyway.

« : September 10, 2008, 12:06:22 AM tucumcari bound »

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #21 : September 10, 2008, 10:42:40 AM »

I don't see anything wrong with war films being made at a time of war. Many soldiers welcome this anyway.

I agree. I think it's ludicrous to blame a film for the deaths of soldiers, unless it's outright propaganda.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #22 : September 10, 2008, 11:08:07 AM »

I agree. I think it's ludicrous to blame a film for the deaths of soldiers, unless it's outright propaganda.

Exactly. I mean you don't have to like this particular film but in general, I've never seen any problems with a war film being released during wartime.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #23 : September 10, 2008, 01:48:33 PM »

It's, like, free speech man.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #24 : September 10, 2008, 06:45:06 PM »

How are war films made during wartime not outright propaganda? That's basically my entire point.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #25 : September 11, 2008, 12:48:51 AM »

I haven't seen this movie, but I just have to say that I don't really like war films in general. Okay, Star Wars and LotR films could be considered war films but they are set in fantasy worlds. All great war films are anti-war films.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines