Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 04:48:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A remake of GBU: would you go see it if...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A remake of GBU: would you go see it if...  (Read 5179 times)
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:58:16 AM »

there was going to be a new version of the movie - same storyline, but just different actors?   I know this may be a very dumb question, but I thought I'd ask and see what everyone's opinion is about it.  It's only a hypothetical question, of course, but just want to get some opinions and reactions to the idea - thanks.

I personally would flat out refuse to go see a remake, considering no director alive today could EVER top Leone's film nor could any actors alive today top the performances of Clint, Eli, Lee, Mario, and the rest of the cast.    If you were a director and were approached with the idea of a remake, though, who would you have as Tuco, AE, Blondie, Wallace, the drunk Captain, Maria, Stevens, Baker, etc.?   I haven't given it much thought yet as to who I would have play those roles if I were a director and asked to do such a film.  I strongly doubt, though, that a remake today would get decent reviews.  Most everyone would agree that Leone's film is and always will be the best one - hands down.  Cheesy   

Again, this is just a hypothetical question - that's all.  Cheesy   

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 02:03:27 AM »

You'll find a thread with the exactly same content (and probably same name) approximately 5-10 pages back.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 02:07:02 AM »

How about Affleck, Stiller & Pitt (3 of Hollywood's finest actors surely) playing the leading characters and hey, perhaps Timberlake performing a new upbeat version of the score.

That would be amazing!

Cry

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 02:47:52 AM »

Last man standing is a remake of A Fistful of Dollars, which is a remake of Yojimbo. You don't loose much with watching a remake: the worst thing that can happen is that you will be disappointed, and the best is that you could even like it.

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 01:56:04 PM »

You'll find a thread with the exactly same content (and probably same name) approximately 5-10 pages back.

I had completely forgotten about it, to be totally honest.  I will go out on a limb here and admit it was me who posted it, but again, I completely forgot I posted it - lol.   Of course, all is not lost, considering there are a few new members here who may want to post their ideas here, considering the last question like this is on the third page of threads.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 06:23:19 PM »

The TV remake of Red River was so bad that I turned it off like after 20 minutes.  Does anyone remember "It happened one Christmas" with Marlo Thomas, or do they watch "It's a Wonderful Life"?

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 09:15:49 PM »

I've never watched "It's a Wonderful Life or the other Christmas movie you mentioned.   As for a remake of GBU, I know Leone's version will never be topped, but of course, this is just a 'what if' question.   In my opinion, most remakes of movies (and tv shows as well) are nothing but flops - they usually don't have rave reviews and are looked down on because many of the remakes are 'modernized' to keep in tune with today's society.  The Dukes Of Hazzard remake, I didn't even waste my time and money to see! Just from the commercials of the movie, I could tell it was nothing like the original tv series and it was an insult to the series as well - so degrading!

sergios specs
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 02:34:41 AM »

Dear Calamity Jane, How about Jason Isaacs as AE, Johnny Depp as Tuco, Robbie Coltrane as wallace and George Clooney as Blondie. like you i would not go see a remake, but i might have a little peep at the odd scene or two.

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 02:30:56 PM »

Dear Calamity Jane, How about Jason Isaacs as AE, Johnny Depp as Tuco, Robbie Coltrane as wallace and George Clooney as Blondie. like you i would not go see a remake, but i might have a little peep at the odd scene or two.

Well, I haven't seen Jason Isaacs or Robbie Coltrane, so I don't know how they would resemble the characters (i.e. LVC as Angel Eyes - finding an actor to resemble LVC's appearance to keep in tune with the character).    I would think Johnny Depp would look more like AE, and George Clooney as the drunk Captain .   In the role of Tuco, I'm not sure who would be good for that role, though the only one that comes to mind is Brad Pitt, though I know he doesn't look anything like the original Tuco/Eli.   If he was a bit older, I'd say Elijah Wood would be good for the role - lol. - Cheesy

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:34:06 PM by Calamity Jane » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 10:50:53 AM »

Robbie Coltrane as Wallace? Are you quite serious? Cheesy

Saturday nights with Groggy
sergios specs
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 04:28:26 AM »

hello miss calamity, jason isaacs and robbie coltrane are two british actors, who both star in the harry potter movies. isaacs plays lucius malfoy and coltrane plays hagrid. isaacs also plays the bad guy in the patriot with mel gibson.rather than see a remake i would like to see the novel a dollar to die for made into a film as it reunites tuco and blondie, and is the best of the dollar novels

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 11:13:18 AM »

hello miss calamity, jason isaacs and robbie coltrane are two british actors, who both star in the harry potter movies. isaacs plays lucius malfoy and coltrane plays hagrid. isaacs also plays the bad guy in the patriot with mel gibson.rather than see a remake i would like to see the novel a dollar to die for made into a film as it reunites tuco and blondie, and is the best of the dollar novels

Thanks for the info about Isaacs and coltrane, but I have to say that I've never seen the Harry Potter movies (never caught my interest) and I haven't seen The Patriot either, but if I see them in the future sometime, I'll see for myself if they'd 'make the grade' as far as playing roles in a new GBU.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 02:05:14 PM »

Remake? No... God save us.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 10:07:18 PM »

LOL, Jill.   I hear that!  I don't want to see a remake anymore than the other GBU fans, but the question is totally hypothetical - Cheesy

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 06:38:48 PM »

LOL, Jill.   I hear that!  I don't want to see a remake anymore than the other GBU fans, but the question is totally hypothetical - Cheesy

Reality check: A Fistful of Dollars was a remake of Yojimbo.  Afro

The lesson to be learned: Never, never disregard automatically a remake without first watching it.  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM