Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 03:43:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Changeling (2008)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Changeling (2008)  (Read 4460 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2008, 04:31:13 AM »

Eastwood's new film

Trailer - http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809945088/video/9690286

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 04:32:46 AM by rrpower » Logged
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 10:11:50 AM »

Thank you rrpower for posting! I've been waiting for this trailer for months! The film looks great. More Oscar nomination's for Clint Eastwood coming.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 05:07:41 PM »

I thought I'd bump this since it's been released. I'm going to see it tonight.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 01:11:36 AM »

Again Clint's releasing two film almost back to back. He's 78 and working like a maniac Shocked

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 12:03:31 PM »

*Spoiler*

Okay, I finally had the chance to see "Changeling" last night and and what I expected was not a film as a powerful and deep in story as what I witnessed.

Let me first start off by saying what the hell were some of the critics thinking? As some of you know, this film received many mixed reviews. It seems to me either some critics loved it or some critics didn't. That being said, for the critics that didn't like the film, did they see the same movie that I did? I'm not understanding some of their logic. I have yet to see a film this year with as many powerful and moving moments that "Changeling" has.

I was deeply impressed with the capturing of 1920's and 30's Los Angeles. This is a wonderful period piece that was obviously deeply thought out and detailed. Clint Eastwood's crew did a superb job re-creating the atmosphere needed. The authenticity of the film is spot on.

What really impressed me was the look inside corruption in the LAPD at this time. I was not aware of the Cristine Collins story before I seen this film and it really disturbed me as to how much these police officer's got away with for so long. It's sad it took such a serious case such as this child abduction case and the murder's of young and innocent boys to finally bring down the police officer's responsible. Unreal. I was livid as I was watching.

Now, as some of you know, I'm not that crazy about Angelina Jolie. I've always thought she was talented but she's not one of my favorites. That being said, I thought she was terrific here. It's an Oscar worthy performance and then some. When an actor or actress can move me the way she did at times, that tells me something. I really felt her pain. It was sad to watch because you want to help this person and you cannot do anything but watch. Yes, I was so into this film it felt like I was inside the story.

I have to mention the fine work John Malkovich did here. His introduction was awesome! I wanted to get up and cheer when he was preaching about the LAPD's corruption over the radio air-waves in the beginning. What a cool character. I think this man is severely underrated.

Last but not least I have to praise Clint Eastwood once again. I never miss a Clint Eastwood project. I think this man is arguably the most talented director working today. I love how he takes his time telling his story. He doesn't rush any scene. He lets his films breath from scene to scene as the characters are developed. He not only shows great talent behind the camera but once again, the man composed his own film! I love Clint's soundtrack work thus far. They create such moody atmosphere. I love it.

In the end, I think this is another triumph for Clint Eastwood. I think it's an exceptional drama that pulls no punches. The film may have dragged a bit in the last act but that doesn't take away from the film at all. I think this has the potential to be an American classic. Highly recommended!

9/10

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:05:39 PM by tucumcari bound » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 03:00:57 PM »

Well, that's good hearing TB. Afro

I'm considering going to see a film this weekend. There aren't very many out that I'm interested in - Burn After Reading and Body of Lies are playing at a single theater each, and Changeling is the only other thing (unless I get a perverse urge to see High School Musical 3, the same urge that made me sit through four Leprechaun and Billy Jack movies over the summer, and recently W) that piques my interest. I'll take it under consideration. Or I'll just stay home and watch Guns of Navarone.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 03:03:29 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 03:28:43 PM »

clint made the soundtrack as well?  Shocked
what an amazing guy

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 03:31:01 PM »

clint made the soundtrack as well?  Shocked
what an amazing guy

He did the Unforgiven soundtrack too, didn't he?

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 03:56:39 PM »

He did the Unforgiven soundtrack too, didn't he?

Lennie Niehaus did the "Unforgiven" score but Clint has wrote the music for "Mystic River", "Million Dollar Baby", "Flags of Our Fathers", "Letters from Iwo Jima", and now "Changeling." Like I said, some people may find his style simple and sometimes boring but I love it.

mr. mouse
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 11:34:14 AM »

Lennie Niehaus did the "Unforgiven" score but Clint has wrote the music for "Mystic River", "Million Dollar Baby", "Flags of Our Fathers", "Letters from Iwo Jima", and now "Changeling." Like I said, some people may find his style simple and sometimes boring but I love it.
Right on!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 02:56:04 PM »

I'm planning to go see this tonight unless I run into hobo problems. Will report back afterwards. Afro

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 03:52:13 PM »

I'm planning to go see this tonight unless I run into hobo problems. Will report back afterwards. Afro

Sounds good. I look forward to your thoughts.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 08:42:32 PM »

Okay. I'll just give my brief thoughts, don't feel like an in-depth review right this moment.

I thought it was very good, it almost lived up to the TB hype. Beyond the picture-perfect period detail, the fact is that the film inspires empathy; you really hate the nasty bad guys, the crooked cops, the sadistic psychiatrist, and feel sympathetic for Christine's atrocious plight. The scenes in the mental hospital in particular are very powerful; it's not the first time such ground has been covered, but the added nastiness here is that a completely sane and innocent person is being punished here. I agree completely that Angelina Jolie was exceptional, definitely Oscar-worthy. The supporting cast was pretty good; Malkovich was good with a fairly limited part, but more impressive were Jeffrey Donovan as the crooked police captain and Denis O'Hare as the sadistic doctor. Eastwood's directing is pretty good, although the washed-out cinematography annoyed me at times. I forsee a slew of Oscar nominations for this film.

There were a few flaws worth pointing out. The biggest problem is that the movie is too long and occasionally needlessly digressive. The last 15-20 minutes or so was completely pointless, especially considering the open-ended conclusion we're left with. It should have ended at the trial, at the very latest it should have ended at the execution, but it just went on interminably for another 10 minutes afterwards. In light of that also, the subplot with the child murderer was perhaps given too much screentime period; if the time was necessary, given the overall theme of the story, wouldn't more scenes showing the corruption of the police been more useful? The movie would have benefited I think from a prodigious editor.

Still, this is competing with The Dark Knight as my favorite movie this year (which admittedly isn't an impressive distinction). I'll be generous and give it an 8/10.

PS: Full-length review can be read here:
http://nothingiswrittenfilm.blogspot.com/2008/11/changeling.html

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 10:51:37 PM by Groggy » Logged

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 12:57:43 AM »

Good review Groggy. I may have been generous with my 9/10 review but I enjoyed the film a lot a bit some of it's flaws. It's a film I'd love to see again. I just enjoy period pieces and I absolutely love Clint's direction. He does a great job with each and every passing film.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 12:44:42 PM »

Just saw this movie on blu-ray.

This post will contain SPOILERS

This is the sort of story that could not be made up; you just wouldn't believe the sort of blatant corruption and abuse of power. (I'm the sort of guy who has little faith in public institutions, and believes that almost anyone in a position of power would do anything to increase his power; when someone says about something, 'this couldn't happen today,' I say, yes, ANYTHING could happen at anytime, even today). But nobody could have made up such a story and had people believe it was real; I mean, 1928 isn't that long ago! But it's difficult to watch, cuz you get caught up in it and get furious at the woman's plight; and getting too caught up in a story doesn't always bode well for enjoying it. You gotta somehow keep a distance and look at it objectively as art, when you get too caught up in the fact that it's an awful situation and justice needs to be done, then you can't enjoy the movie until justice is done. I mean, this is a sad story, through and through; there's no ray of sunshine, anywhere. Even though the movie ends on a somewhat hopeful note, we know from the text that there was no happy ending. Watching this story unfold is 141 minutes of pure pain. Which is appropriate, cuz this poor woman went through a lifetime of pain.

The acting was terrific all around, the period detail was awesome.

Oh, and the death penalty scene was great. I love a really good hanging or death penalty scene (where you know the condemned is guilty). If you think I'm perverse, then go eat a sausage and choke on it. The hanging scene was a beautiful moment.

I agree with Groggy about the washed-out color, I could never stand that. Yeah, they are trying to evoke the "period," supposedly, although the truth is that virtually no color footage or photos exist from the late 20's; it's all black and white. (A very little bit exists from the mid-30's, when the movie ends). I mean, do we really think that people lived in washed-out color in the "olden days"?  Wink I could never stand the washed out color look on period pieces. and btw, for some reason, it seems to me that washed-out color is being used these days for lots of movies, not just period pieces. With all the amazing camera technology we have today, filmmakers are choosing to go with dull washed out greys. I can't stand it.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:22:41 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM