Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 05:56:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sholay: Leone via Bollywood
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sholay: Leone via Bollywood  (Read 4323 times)
andrewhyatt
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »

I was at a friend's house today, and Sholay, the most famous and greatest Bollywood movie of all time, was playing.  I hadn't seen it before, but I couldn't help noticing that parts of the movie seemed to be just like Spaghetti Westerns (except with more extreme mustaches).  Specifically, I was reminded of the Big Gundown.  Later in the movie, I was surprised to see an almost shot-for-shot remake of the slaughter at McBain's ranch from Once Upon a Time in the West, from the slaughter itself to Jill's return (although in this case instead of Jill it was the husband who returned to see his family slain).

The whole thing was a bit surreal, but I can't help but be surprised I never heard about this before.  My friend said that when people in India saw this movie it seemed so new and exciting to them, and later they found out just how much it had borrowed from previous movies.  Neverless, he maintained this was the greatest Bollywood movie of all time.

Has anyone else seen this movie?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 12:39:49 AM »

I finally got a copy of this Bollywood cult classic!

First impression is that it looks... zany. I'll report back in a couple of days (or months Cheesy).

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 12:40:57 AM »

I'm thinking it certainly can't be as bad as the remake: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473310/

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 04:03:27 PM »

I've seen a train sequence a while back but it didn't interest me in watching the entire thing.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 04:07:28 PM »

It's not like a have great expectations, but I can sit through a watch (especially taking in consideration how much it took me to get it).

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 04:20:40 PM »

isn't it, like, 3 hours though?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 04:25:52 PM »

3 hours and 20 minutes (give or take a few).

(Thank you very much for reminding me.)

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 10:25:43 PM »

if it were 90-110 mins., I'm there, but I'm picky when watching longer movies.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 10:44:21 PM »

I'll probably break the watch in a couple of sessions. That's why I said it could take me a few months to finish it.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 11:17:39 PM »

That's a good plan (didn't read the original post). I use the online dvd rental thingy and I like receiving new ones, so I would have to watch it ASAP. I might go your route and buy it one of these days.

Prabal
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 09:51:49 AM »

Hello everybody, here is my 0.02$ on Sholay.... Hailing from India, I can confirm that andrewhyatt has correctly mentioned Sholay is regarded as the greatest movie produced in India.  In one Minerva Theatre in Mumbai, it was screened packed for 5 years. From what I see I could see multiple inspirations- the story is more "Magnificent Seven" albeit with only 2 gunmen there, but camerawork definitely is inspired from "Once upon a time in the West" and to a lesser extent, "The Wild Bunch". India has its own Wild West in Chambal ravines, an area straddling present day states of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. (Actually, I hail from that part of India and can vouch for the fact that there are still dacoits there) Recently, Bollywood has seen release of a film by the name of "Pan Singh Tomar" which may be classified as a "revisionist western". Generally, the movie has been well received though I have not seen the movie myself. Bollywood used to see lots of Western releases in 1970s, frequently starring Vinod Khanna, Amitabh Bachchan and Feroze Khan(who is fondly called "Eastwood of India")  in lead roles. I personally think Sholay cannot be compared with any of the Leone films on quality but it is good entertainment nevertheless. I will provide information to the greatest extent possible to  any one willing to know more about Curry Westerns.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 09:54:43 AM by Prabal » Logged
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »

I'll watch it for sure this summer! Afro

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM