Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:45:51 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Did Stevens have any idea that...
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Did Stevens have any idea that...  ( 13172 )
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

« #15 : September 14, 2008, 08:26:50 PM »

If I recall correctly AE already had the gun pointed at Stevens from under the table when Stevens took it out of his holster.

This was my point in my last post. Sentenza probably pulled his gun from his holster when Stevens turned around to get the pouch with the $1000. I can think of no other time when he could have grabbed it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #16 : September 14, 2008, 08:29:23 PM »

Fair enough.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

« #17 : September 14, 2008, 10:22:47 PM »

Yes, I believe that AE had the gun already pointed at Stevens under the table.  I don't think that AE is the type to take chances.  I believe that Stevens had a feeling that AE was going to draw his gun on him and thus, he quickly drew the gun, but wasn't as fast at the draw as AE was.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #18 : September 15, 2008, 05:57:41 AM »

"Nice family" was exceptionally chilly !!!

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

« #19 : September 15, 2008, 12:42:29 PM »

"Nice family" was exceptionally chilly !!!

Yes, I agree.  It's certainly an indignation that he has intentions of killing him.  To me, it seems that AE is hinting to Stevens that he's not going to live much longer, thus, his family will soon have to live without him.

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

« #20 : September 16, 2008, 01:08:28 AM »

Angel Eyes owned Steven's butt throughout that entire scene.
I believe that the comment about Steven's family is to further convince him to give Angel Eyes the name that Carson is hiding under.
And I believe it worked....

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

« #21 : September 16, 2008, 05:14:09 PM »

Yes, I agree - it did work.  I also see it as AE's way of saying that, if he values his life and his family, then he better talk, even though when he did give AE the name, he was shot dead anyway.  AE is ruthless throughout the movie, though when talking to the 'half-soldier', it seems he was soft on him, probably because of his 'situation' and the fact that 'half-soldier' came to HIM instead of the other way 'round.  AE, in this case, was showing a soft side; showing gratitude to him for the information.   

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

« #22 : September 17, 2008, 01:11:55 AM »

And Half Soldier was not involved, he just went around and found out some local info about Carson and Maria.
Therefore he didn't really need to kill him and probably pitied him a bit too.
"Hey Luke hand me down a whiskey"

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

« #23 : September 17, 2008, 08:15:09 AM »

And Half Soldier was not involved, he just went around and found out some local info about Carson and Maria.
Therefore he didn't really need to kill him and probably pitied him a bit too.
"Hey Luke hand me down a whiskey"

Yes - that is what I meant when I said AE was showing his soft side toward HS - he felt some pity toward him.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #24 : September 17, 2008, 12:24:23 PM »

I think angel Eyes even admired a bit the ruse that Half Soldier used to pry another coin from him; Angel Eyes even gave a little smile.  Judging from Van Cleef's other performances, Leone sure pulled the best from him.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

« #25 : September 17, 2008, 02:07:48 PM »

I think angel Eyes even admired a bit the ruse that Half Soldier used to pry another coin from him; Angel Eyes even gave a little smile.  Judging from Van Cleef's other performances, Leone sure pulled the best from him.

Half- soldier was completely harmless, so there was no reason for Sentenza to go after him. The only time I saw Sentenza showing a bit of a human side was during his visit to the Confederate fort.

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

« #26 : September 17, 2008, 11:03:52 PM »

Yes, he did show some softness there at the fort, as well as giving a bit of a 'thank you' smile/grin to 'HS'. 

One thing that bothered me when I first watched the film, though:  isn't it rather cruel and insulting that AE calls him 'half soldier', considering that what happened to him was because of fighting in a war?  I mean, the guy had to 'walk' on his hands and that, I'm sure, wasn't fun, even though he got around - but still...  It disturbed me for some time after hearing AE call him that, though I don't believe the actor took offense at it.  In this day and age of being so 'politically correct', however, you couldn't get away with calling someone a degrading or insulting name like that without being chastised for it, at the very least. What do you think about this, AE calling him 'half soldier'? 

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #27 : September 18, 2008, 12:51:17 AM »

Yes, he did show some softness there at the fort, as well as giving a bit of a 'thank you' smile/grin to 'HS'. 

One thing that bothered me when I first watched the film, though:  isn't it rather cruel and insulting that AE calls him 'half soldier', considering that what happened to him was because of fighting in a war?  I mean, the guy had to 'walk' on his hands and that, I'm sure, wasn't fun, even though he got around - but still...  It disturbed me for some time after hearing AE call him that, though I don't believe the actor took offense at it.  In this day and age of being so 'politically correct', however, you couldn't get away with calling someone a degrading or insulting name like that without being chastised for it, at the very least. What do you think about this, AE calling him 'half soldier'? 
Well, I think it tells a lot about the general attitude of 1966 towards crippled and handicapped people but you can be sure that people didn't regard them any more highly a hundred years earlier. So, it's historically only believable if not too mild depiction.

« : September 19, 2008, 07:10:00 AM moviesceleton »

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #28 : September 18, 2008, 11:43:13 AM »

Right, attitudes change over time.  Like in 1862 it would've been entirely normal to have Indians as targets such as in the back lot at the GBU pistol shop.  But when ABC televised it in 1970s, the first shots were cut, and you could just barely make out that the final three shots were at Indian targets that had been shot/sideways.  Of course, Indians are Native Americans now, so does that make me a native American because I was born in Pennsylvania?

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

« #29 : September 19, 2008, 04:41:38 AM »

Yes I think Angel Eyes certainly admired Half Soldier's ruse, how could anyone not? Even I did (the cheeky little sod)
I do however think that had Angel Eyes seen him later in the film he just may have shot him, when no-one was watching

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines