Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:29:30 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A Simple Plan (1998)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: A Simple Plan (1998)  ( 4154 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« : November 01, 2011, 05:19:24 AM »

Director: Sam Raimi, Writers: Scott B. Smith (novel), Scott B. Smith (screenplay) Stars: Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thornton and Bridget Fonda.

Two brothers and a friend find $4 million in the cockpit of a downed plane. The pilot is dead. No one is looking for the money. To keep it, all they have to do is wait. IT ALL SOUNDED SO SIMPLE... (from IMDb).

I actually met the author Scott Smith (screenplay/novel) in Rhinebeck, NY, but I hadn't seen the film nor read the book, so I didn't have very much to say to him.  :-\

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #1 : November 01, 2011, 05:42:07 AM »

During its original run, I went to a screening but walked out in the middle. I've never been tempted to revisit this turkey, the story is THAT ridiculous.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #2 : November 01, 2011, 07:04:19 AM »

During its original run, I went to a screening but walked out in the middle. I've never been tempted to revisit this turkey, the story is THAT ridiculous.

this is an absolutely fantastic movie. I have seen it multiple times. (I'll resist the temptation to go off here and tell you all about how "story is not all that matters..."  ;)) But seriously, I can't understand how someone cannot LOVE this movie. It's a 9/10

« : November 01, 2011, 07:10:25 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #3 : November 01, 2011, 01:15:55 PM »

I'll resist the temptation to go off here and tell you all about how "story is not all that matters..."  
It is when the film has nothing else to offer. As is the case here. And the story is awful because it has characters doing things that no human being would do in a googolplex of years.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #4 : November 04, 2011, 12:31:40 AM »

It is when the film has nothing else to offer. As is the case here. And the story is awful because it has characters doing things that no human being would do in a googolplex of years.

Like what?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #5 : September 17, 2016, 02:35:29 AM »

And the story is awful because it has characters doing things that no human being would do in a googolplex of years.

Word. Usually in this kind of crap you have one moron, here you're double treated. No, triple treated. How one can possibly think to go in cahoots on a criminal spree with an element like the dumb bro is out of this world. And the drunkard friend is not a better option. And then, the whole incident when the protagonist goes to put some money back in the plane: why does he need anybody (let alone his moron bro) to be on the lookout for a 5 minutes affair with all the dire (and incredible) consequences? And nobody thinking that the ones you have to be afraid of are the criminals behind the money is absurd. I write this after only 30' of vision and I don't know whether I'll keep on hurting myself. I expect though  CJ to explain  that the photography is great and consequently so is this neo-noir.  >:D
And thinking about the title,  it is from the very moment they find the money (or maybe, if you want to be generous, when the bro talks about "the airplane" to the passing cop ) that is apparent this is gonna be disaster, let alone simple. So the title itself  is deceiving as it tries to impart a dose of credibility absolutely undeserved.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #6 : September 17, 2016, 08:58:12 AM »

You should watch at least until the part where Billy Bob Thornton agrees to let himself be killed to see just how stupid things can get. The absolute nadir in screenwriting.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #7 : September 17, 2016, 10:00:15 AM »

You should watch at least until the part where Billy Bob Thornton agrees to let himself be killed

Oh my god, no: 30' is enough. Even though this crescendo of imbecility may instil a drop of curiosity to see how worse it can get. But not today.   

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #8 : September 17, 2016, 02:59:26 PM »

Fantastic movie. I am shameless in agreeing with drink

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #9 : September 17, 2016, 05:24:46 PM »

Fantastic movie. I am shameless in agreeing with drink

Be proud!

And be sympathetic to the unfortunates here who can't enjoy this.  ;)

Truth is, I saw this (several times) within five years of its release, when I was a teenager, but I have not seen it since then. As with all movies I saw and loved in my youth (The Patriot?), I have no idea what my opinion would be if I saw it now.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #10 : September 22, 2016, 12:18:07 PM »

You should watch at least until the part where Billy Bob Thornton agrees to let himself be killed to see just how stupid things can get. The absolute nadir in screenwriting.
I saw this movie years ago and remember liking it but then I remembered this aspect and now I don't know what I would think of it on a repeated view.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines