Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 09:43:05 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Burn After Reading (2008)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Burn After Reading (2008)  (Read 3240 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2008, 11:51:45 AM »

just some random thoughts, too lazy to write something formal.

negatives: It took about 20 mins for BAR to gain momentum. I thought some scenes were mishandled, like Malkovich talking with his vegetable father for example. Pitt's character, was absolutely hilarious at times, but I felt he overacted in other instances. I didn't find scenes like him dancing with his mp3 player to be all that funny. To his defense, all the leads weren't introduced with the usual Coen style, it took some time for them to be effective, which is just odd for Coen standards. I can't really knock the leads for not being too realistic because BAR is a farce, but I expected some funnier quirks and idiosyncracies. The score was completely generic but I'm sure the Coens were taking a digg at the phony "intense" scores you find in the vast majority of Hollywood movies. BAR wasn't too interesting to look at but it's a comedy and it had the style and feel of most crappy Hollywood thrillers, so it works.

positives: The writing in terms of plot was pretty much perfect. Once BAR gains momentum, the story unfolds perfectly which negates any flaws or shortcomings. One of the better farces, dark comedies and Hollywood movies in recent memory. It's absolutely hilarious, especially the final act. The CIA office scenes in the second and third acts are brilliant.

BAR is definitely a modern film in every way. It perfectly showcases the ridiculousness of post 911 America. I'm not going to mention any examples because the entire film is trashing modern American culture. Every Coen naysayer that I've dealt with uses the "they're too post-modern" line as their number one reason for disliking them. They can't use that line here, and I'm sure there's a reason why the Coens usually refrain from setting their films in contemporary times.

Maybe the best part about BAR is how Malkovich's character is implemented into the story. In most dark comedies, and hollywood movies for that matter, there is a main villian that is much smarter than the protagnoists, yet inexplicably, always gets fooled by the idiots before the film's conclusion. I guess it's the scooby doo effect but in BAR, Malkovich is both bright and a complete dolt, and most importantly, he fools himself in the end.

Highly recommended.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 01:55:09 PM »

I really need to see this. hopefully I'll have time this weekend. I've had Barton Fink from netfix for like 2 weeks.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 02:08:30 PM »

two weeks? Watch it already, geeze.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 02:31:02 PM »

two weeks? Watch it already, geeze.

I haven't seen it yet either. I've been to busy.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 02:36:19 PM »

From the other thread:

BAR looks like a movie I'll skip until it comes out on DVD. I've only seen two Coen films and neither are my cup of tea. This one looks potentially interesting, but nothing I'm going to go out of my way to see.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 02:49:47 PM »

I'd like to see this, but there are other things on my list that take priority (like I Served the King of England), plus all those Broadway shows like A Man For All Seasons and The Seagull (with Kristen Scott Thomas), and then there's the final games in the old Yankee Stadium . . . heck, whose got time for just another Coen Bros movie?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »

I'd like to see this, but there are other things on my list that take priority (like I Served the King of England), plus all those Broadway shows like A Man For All Seasons and The Seagull (with Kristen Scott Thomas), and then there's the final games in the old Yankee Stadium . . . heck, whose got time for just another Coen Bros movie?

To hell with this movie then. Go to Yankee Stadium! I've been there 20+ times. It's a magical place.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 03:10:18 PM »

Kristin Scott Thomas? Shocked Damn you Jinkies. Tongue

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 01:17:23 PM »

heck, whose got time for just another Coen Bros movie?

God help the Jap pupils.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 12:24:20 PM »

I liked it but something felt empty, didn't it?
Pitt was the best thing about the movie.

6/10

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM