Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 01:24:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Run of the Arrow (1957)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Run of the Arrow (1957)  (Read 2856 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:58:18 PM »

I remebered it was bad, but is worse. Garfield liquidates it as "trash" and for once I agree. It has interersting elements (the quicksand scene being almost surreal) and some unusual violence for the time. The final scene of the defeated blue soldiers being evacuated is a bizarre reversal of similar scenes where Indians assume the role of the vanquished. But apart from some holes in the screenplay (Steiger is supposed to have learnt the indian language in a couple of hours; and he seems to forget his family behind when taking back the rebel indian to the tribe) this is a strong runner for worse cast ever assembled, Keith being the only one who fits in his role. Steiger (dressed up like Reynolds in Navajo Joe) just doesn't belong there. Meeker is older than his part and the Indians...just look at the names. 4\10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 05:11:27 AM »

Run Of The Arrow (1957)

Dir. By Sam Fulller,  and starring  Rod Steiger,  Sara Montiel, Brian Keith, Ralph Meeker, Charles Bronson.

Watched this the other day and it was an interesting Cavalry vs. Indian (Sioux) film taking place before the establishment of Ft. Abraham Lincoln, and Custer. Steiger (who personally I think sucks at accents) plays a Confederate soldier with a weird Irish/Southern  accent who fires the last shot in the Civil War, at Ralf Meeker, who he wounds.

He basically refuses to surrender after Appomattox and heads off to the Northern Great Plains along the way he  befriends an old Sioux cavalry scout, and he undergoes the ritual “run of the arrow” and becomes accepted by the tribe, where he continues the fight against the US. 

During the negotiations with the Sioux  over establishing posts to separate settlers (keeping them off the hunting grounds) traveling West  and the natives their chief,  played by Charles Bronson, and the chief cavalry engineer played by Brian Keith they agree to select Steiger as chief Sioux scout for the expedition, not all of the Sioux are in concert with this. Keith and Steiger sort of hit it off but Meeker is a hot headed second in command who after Keith is hit by a renegade arrow decides to locate the new post in a different location than agreed, to igniting a war.

Its an interesting take on the subject and the film is worth a watch but its nothing outstanding. 5-6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »

I completely disagree with you guys. While I'm no expert on Calvary movies, this is easily the best I've seen. It's not even close. Steiger's accent was a terrible choice and poorly executed, but everything else is excellent. It's perfectly paced and Fuller gets everything out of its cheap budget. The master of "unsubtlety" rarely disappoints.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 10:53:10 AM »

DVD-R due from Warner on July 7: http://www.wbshop.com/product/1000537450.do?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 11:48:49 AM »

Saw this playing once on TCM, started watching for a little while and then shut it off. It was torture.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM