Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 10:19:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Soleil rouge aka Red Sun (1971)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soleil rouge aka Red Sun (1971)  (Read 14406 times)
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 12:12:42 PM »

I bought this recently on one of those cheap Czech DVD's, and it was definitely worth the price - I'm not sure what the price was, but about 40-50 CZK. Cheesy And it's in widescreen, so there isn't much more I could ask for. If someone wanted this badly, maybe I could try to get one for you if there are still some copies left in the shops... If you do want it, tell me quickly!
I didn't mind Mifune's English. I had the subtitles and it actually fitted his character.
(Do you also think Shanghai Noon was a partial knock off of this?)

EDIT: Or it's not widescreen? Funny, I can't remember... An online source claims it's 4:3. I'll have to watch it again. How come I don't remember?

EDIT 2: It really isn't widescreen. Now I'm left with a mystery of how I came to think it was.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 12:30:51 PM by marmota-b » Logged

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 09:16:42 AM »

I bought this recently on one of those cheap Czech DVD's, and it was definitely worth the price - I'm not sure what the price was, but about 40-50 CZK. Cheesy And it's in widescreen, so there isn't much more I could ask for. If someone wanted this badly, maybe I could try to get one for you if there are still some copies left in the shops... If you do want it, tell me quickly!
I didn't mind Mifune's English. I had the subtitles and it actually fitted his character.
(Do you also think Shanghai Noon was a partial knock off of this?)

EDIT: Or it's not widescreen? Funny, I can't remember... An online source claims it's 4:3. I'll have to watch it again. How come I don't remember?

EDIT 2: It really isn't widescreen. Now I'm left with a mystery of how I came to think it was.

I believe there are some versions of Red Sun floating around that have the top and bottom of the picture cropped to simulate widescreen.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 11:14:41 PM »

I believe there are some versions of Red Sun floating around that have the top and bottom of the picture cropped to simulate widescreen.

It's not this one. It's a total, absolute pan-and-scan and I can't understand what made think it was not. I'm sure I didn't think that when I was watching it Roll Eyes, but when remembering it, that piece of info slipped my mind mysteriously.
However, I still think it was worth those 49 CZK (I've checked the price).

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 10:33:31 PM »

Finally got a chance to revisit this EW and wasn't disappointed as I thought I'll be. (Needless to point out, I adored this strange mix when I was a kid, like most people, and must have watched it at least 50 times.)

It's reasonably entertaining. Soleil rouge didn't and doesn't offer much of a story or character development, let alone originality. The project was more, I think, about letting the famous actors perform their antics unrestrainedly for the audience. What they did successfully, even the unorthodox Charles Bronson.

I didn't care for Ursula Andress at all.

6.75/10

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:35:00 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 09:59:21 PM »

It's reasonably entertaining. Soleil rouge didn't and doesn't offer much of a story or character development, let alone originality. The project was more, I think, about letting the famous actors perform their antics unrestrainedly for the audience. What they did successfully, even the unorthodox Charles Bronson.

I didn't care for Ursula Andress at all.

6.75/10

I think that the roles played by Bronson and Mifune are great. I don't care for Ursula either, though I must admit that she had a great anatomy.   Wink

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 02:44:34 AM »

Well, I don't know... Undecided  But then again, I never had the opportunity to see her in something other than those 2 or 3 more known movies...

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 01:35:35 PM »

"Goddamn Mosquitoes!"

i agree with Andress who was always a nothing screen presence but...

http://www.celebritymoviearchive.com/tour/name.php/8

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2010, 06:14:01 PM »

I remember her nude in "The Blue Max" too  Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 12:08:59 PM »

I remember her nude in "The Blue Max" too  Afro Afro

Not showing much I presume in 1966...Do you remember well?? I was completely taken up when I saw her in Perfect Friday: there she showed lots of skin. Sensuous Nurse could be the alternate choice.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 08:50:59 PM »

Not showing much I presume in 1966...Do you remember well?? I was completely taken up when I saw her in Perfect Friday: there she showed lots of skin. Sensuous Nurse could be the alternate choice.

Breasts she showed her breasts  Smiley

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »

Breasts she showed her breasts  Smiley

Not really:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4RgqTo6Rvk&feature=related

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 07:26:24 PM »

ok just a side view briefly  Wink

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »

so I just saw the movie for the first time (on AMC), and I really liked it! Definitely worth a watch for anyone who has not seen it yet.
 Looks like they may have used the El Paso set from FAFDM for the town; can anyone confirm this? And as cj pointed out in an early post on this thread, the train station looks like it may be Cattle Corner.

one nice line Bronson says: "It's my money; I stole it!"

imdb says the film's aspect ratio is 1.85:1. Since it was shown on hdtv's (which are 1.78:1) without any black bars, that generally means we should be basically seeing the full picture. However, it appeared to me that the faces may have been stretched; so my guess, though I am not sure, is that AMC may have taken a 4:3 pan 'n scan version, and just stretched it to 1:78:1. Wouldn't surprise me, considering what a terrible channel AMC is.

I also noticed that Netflix has the dvd; it says the aspect ratio is 1.33:1  Angry

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:20:50 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 05:17:20 AM »

Even the italian dvd is 4:3. A pity because the landscapes are magnificient. I think I als saw Frank's lair subbing as Gauche's. The whorehouse episode is a bit tiresome, the Comanches suicidal tactics childish, the Jarre's score unimaginative. Still I give it 8\10 for the Bronson-Mifune chase and the good finale (though, I don't understand to whom Bronson shouts "Kill him").

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 05:51:22 AM »

Even the italian dvd is 4:3. A pity because the landscapes are magnificient. I think I als saw Frank's lair subbing as Gauche's. The whorehouse episode is a bit tiresome, the Comanches suicidal tactics childish, the Jarre's score unimaginative. Still I give it 8\10 for the Bronson-Mifune chase and the good finale (though, I don't understand to whom Bronson shouts "Kill him").

1. I think Bronson was warning Gauche that the Japanese guy was about to get him. Bronson needed  Gauche alive to get the money.

2. I didn't mind the whorehouse bit; it was done well.

3. Also, didn't the inside of the whorehouse look like the El Paso saloon? I am wondering if in the El Paso set (known today as "Mini Hollywood,)" the interiors were actually built as they were shot in FAFDM, or is it just exteriors? (ie. are the scenes shot in the El Paso saloon, in Manco's and Mortimer's hotel rooms, etc. actually shot inside those buildings in the Mini Hollywood set, or were those interiors shot on sound stages in Cinecietta? In other words, if you visit Mini Hollywood today, will you find the interiors from FAFDM, or just the exteriors?)

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:22:05 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM