Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 02:15:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  A question about Maria
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A question about Maria  (Read 2385 times)
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2008, 09:34:19 PM »

This has baffled me a bit, as many times as I've seen the movie.   When 'Half Soldier' tells AE about Maria, referring to her as "a fresh new whore in town", why does he call her that if she's 'new' to the town?   He doesn't even know her personally, so how would he know unless he's just going by what someone else told him or what he's heard from the grapevine in town?  She's riding with a bunch of drunks in the wagon and, as they drop her off at her place, she looks at them with sheer anger on her face and says, "You filthy rats!"  If she was a 'whore', why did she despise being with those men?  Wouldn't she enjoy the company of those men rather than showing contempt toward them?  Also, she was obviously involved with Jackson/Carson because she called out his name as she was walking to her room when AE spoke her name.   If she didn't want to get involved with one man (as even women today that are prostitutes don't stick with one man), then why did she get involved with Jackson/Carson?  Wouldn't she just go from guy to guy, as 'whores' usually do?   That's a bit puzzling to me, though I know it's not a very significant part of the movie, considering AE just goes to her for information about Jackson/Carson.

What are your thoughts on this?   

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 09:35:37 PM by Calamity Jane » Logged
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 11:45:32 PM »

Well, the town isn't exactly a city, so I think it's possible that Half Soldier knows what he's talking about. I even think he might have been Maria's customer (just speculation). But basically, it's totally irrelevant whether or not Maria is new in the town. I don't think that has anything to do with anything.

What comes to the men that drop her off the wagon: Even though she's a whore, she don't have to take all the shit. She's a human being also. She's just doing her job but that doesn't include being thrown around like a bag of potatoes.  Now, I haven't known a whore or a pimp in my life but I'd imagine that if she had a pimp he'd give those guys a lesson. We don't know much about her and Carson's relationship but it's possible that they really loved eachother. That doesn't mean they'd be just about to tie the knot, but still they could have real emotions. And relationship with a whore in a western isn't unheard of. Actually I think it's one of the genre's basic conventions.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 01:12:32 AM »

Well, considering the horrific treatment she gets from AE, I take it that's why he slaps her around: because of what HS said to him about her, that she's a 'whore'.   Otherwise, I don't think AE would have slapped her around like that.   To me, it shows AE's ruthlessness - even against women, when he slaps Maria to force her to talk about Carson.

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 03:11:06 AM »

It seems to me that back in those newly emerging frontier towns, in the new territories (he actually says territory, not town)
people probably would know other people's business. In particular a whore would be known.
Either way it really wouldn't take Half Soldier a lot to find out who Maria was and what her chosen profession / line of work was.
Regarding your other point, I would hardly say that she riding with the bunch of drunks (actually Confederate soldiers). I would say that she was picked up and possibly raped by all of them and then chucked out of the wagon when they were done with her.
That's why I always thought that she said "you filthy rats"
Just because she is a prostitute it doesn't mean that she would enjoy a situation like that......

Finally I second Moviesceleton's point regarding her relationship with Jackson

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 12:25:28 PM »

I'm home working on a shed today, but if memory serves Half-Soldier says "she's a fresh young whore in the territory".  Someone will check.

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 12:28:49 PM »

It seems to me that back in those newly emerging frontier towns, in the new territories (he actually says territory, not town)
people probably would know other people's business. In particular a whore would be known.
Either way it really wouldn't take Half Soldier a lot to find out who Maria was and what her chosen profession / line of work was.
Regarding your other point, I would hardly say that she riding with the bunch of drunks (actually Confederate soldiers). I would say that she was picked up and possibly raped by all of them and then chucked out of the wagon when they were done with her.
That's why I always thought that she said "you filthy rats"
Just because she is a prostitute it doesn't mean that she would enjoy a situation like that......

Finally I second Moviesceleton's point regarding her relationship with Jackson

Yes, I agree. I was thinking the same thing; that she was raped by all of them and then she was tossed out when they were through with her.  I had believed they were drunks because they were quite loud and sounded incompetent - that was just my observation and conclusion there - lol. 

Thanks for correcting me on HS's line - he did say 'territory' - not town.   Afro

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 01:51:36 AM »

By the way, for anyone interested here is link to the film script.
It is for the cut version.

http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/g/good-bad-ugly-script-transcript.html

I don't know the source but it seems accurate

When I was 10 I used to have to get my Mum to watch scenes with me over and over again to tell me what the hell people were saying. The scene with Stevens was particularly difficult and I had no concept of dubbing, I just thought they were talking really weirdly!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM