Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:26:54 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Allegheny Uprising (1939)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Allegheny Uprising (1939)  (Read 1759 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:08:34 AM »

At IMDB a reviewer has doubts as to this being a western as it is should be considered rather an eastern. But then what about Last of the Moichans? It is refreshing to watch once in a while a politically uncorrect movie where Injuns are Injuns, Nigga are Nigga, British officers are effete and evil (and George Sanders at that!) and gals are afraid to bare their breast. The problem is only how long you can put up with a series of standard characters, lines and plot turns. Well, I imposed myself to watch it till the end and the only interesting (maybe original) thing I found was the attack from above the trees on the Moichans wading the river after having kidnapped children. Wayne (fresh from Stagecoach) manages to look convincing in all the scenes is in. Sanders is great as usual and even Donlevy is better than his part. Claire Trevor can do little about hers. 3\10

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:12:47 AM by titoli » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 01:44:29 PM »

Its more of a Frontier Film rather than an Eastern, anything with flintlocks  and away from the East coast was Wilderness. Some other early good ones are Drums along the Mohawk, Hudson's Bay, Nothwest Passage, and Unconquored.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 03:12:58 AM »

I've just seen this under it's alternative title 'The First Rebel.' The colonial era makes it an more an unusual Wayne 'western' type. I thought that Brian Donleavy was good too. Despite being the usual baddie selling guns to the Indians. I thought that the dialogue was witty with Claire Trevor giving as good as she got. Different; I'll give it that.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM