Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2020, 07:29:55 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Gone with the Wind (1939)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Gone with the Wind (1939)  ( 4789 )
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #15 : June 15, 2020, 12:49:30 AM »

I don't understand what's the issue here. The result is that Gone With The Wind will be released untouched except for a memo at the beginning. Well, that's good, it's a win-win situation for every single person on earth with absolutely not a single drawback.

I'm all for it. Let's put a small text at the beginning of every movies, so that people will stop tampering with the editing (for instance: put "don't hurt your horsese please" in front of DYS and let the British see the real cut).

Perfect solution: nobody is hurt, movies are preserved and old school moviegoers won't have to defend racist points of views just to save their favorite movies.

8)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #16 : June 16, 2020, 08:21:33 AM »

I don't understand what's the issue here. The result is that Gone With The Wind will be released untouched except for a memo at the beginning. Well, that's good, it's a win-win situation for every single person on earth with absolutely not a single drawback.

I'm all for it. Let's put a small text at the beginning of every movies, so that people will stop tampering with the editing (for instance: put "don't hurt your horsese please" in front of DYS and let the British see the real cut).

Perfect solution: nobody is hurt, movies are preserved and old school moviegoers won't have to defend racist points of views just to save their favorite movies.
Except this isn't the end of it. The agitators will never be happy and will come back to the issue again and again. And there is no reasoning with them. Eventually the rights holders won't think it's worth their time and energy to defend when there is more money to be made with other things. They will "voluntarily" withdraw this and anything else that causes offense, even though those who are offended make up the tiniest off minorities. Only those with the foresight to build a media library will have access to many titles in the future. You've all been warned (again).

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #17 : June 16, 2020, 02:03:55 PM »

Except this isn't the end of it. The agitators will never be happy and will come back to the issue again and again. And there is no reasoning with them. Eventually the rights holders won't think it's worth their time and energy to defend when there is more money to be made with other things. They will "voluntarily" withdraw this and anything else that causes offense, even though those who are offended make up the tiniest off minorities. Only those with the foresight to build a media library will have access to many titles in the future. You've all been warned (again).
Exactly. There is no reasoning with the Thought Police and examining an 81 year old movie under the lens of a 2020 microscope couldn't possibly be any more ridiculous. Whenever you have a chance to avoid a slippery slope, avoid it.

and old school moviegoers won't have to defend racist points of views just to save their favorite movies.
Why are you conflating anti-censorship with defending racism?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #18 : June 16, 2020, 11:48:04 PM »

Because that's what always happens on these topics: everybody mixes everything together and nobody is talking about anything anymore.

Anyway, my point is: I think what you guys are doing right now is counterproductive. Other films, theater plays and books have been actually censored by the "thought police". And now you guys are jumping on that particular example where what happens is, once again, absolutely perfect. You should use the Gone With The Wind case as a best practice case and go defend the other works of arts that are under fire, because if you don't you're gonna lose the fight. That's what everybody who wants to defend cinema should be doing right now.

Now if for some reason you're waging a broader political war, then, that's an other issue.

« : June 16, 2020, 11:57:01 PM noodles_leone »

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #19 : June 17, 2020, 07:36:49 AM »

Aunt Jemima products will be renamed, in the news today.  Of course the image has been updated several times in the past, now shows a successful black woman.  Well, for sure Quaker Oats will NOT use a white woman's image...

I'll bet Jemima's husband Uncle Ben is next to go.  And what if they never were legally married and end up on Dr. Phil????

And what about having a Quaker anyway?  They never fought for this country, let's get the whole company renamed.

Nabisco Cream of Wheat shows a black chef - is he gone too?

Wasn't Land O' Lakes pressured to remove the Indian gal/native gal?

Redman tobacco products show an Indian chief.

Let's rename Squaw Valley.  Why stop there, rename Columbus Ohio !!!

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #20 : June 17, 2020, 08:07:49 AM »

I expect the Oscar to HMD to be revoked because she earned it by playing that character.

And what is gonna happen to The Godfather? Will they rename the characters and have them come from some imaginary  country in eastern Europe as in a Marx Bros. movie?? Will the NACA or the veggies object to the horse's head in the bed scene?

« : June 17, 2020, 09:14:42 AM titoli »

Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #21 : June 17, 2020, 08:12:54 AM »

And what will happen to stand-up comedy?

"A racially-mixed priest, a racially-mixed minister, and a racially-mixed rabbi walk into a bar coffee house, and see a racially-mixed parrot.....

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #22 : June 17, 2020, 10:24:59 AM »

Because that's what always happens on these topics: everybody mixes everything together and nobody is talking about anything anymore.

Anyway, my point is: I think what you guys are doing right now is counterproductive. Other films, theater plays and books have been actually censored by the "thought police". And now you guys are jumping on that particular example where what happens is, once again, absolutely perfect. You should use the Gone With The Wind case as a best practice case and go defend the other works of arts that are under fire, because if you don't you're gonna lose the fight. That's what everybody who wants to defend cinema should be doing right now.

Now if for some reason you're waging a broader political war, then, that's an other issue.
Again, the end result is the furthest thing from perfect and you're ignoring B, C & D. Don't be shocked in the future if the PC zombies try to cancel stuff like Pulp Fiction or Goodfellas. That's the trajectory we're on with these lunatics. They purposely go for an inch to later take a mile. This is simply a way to "ease in" much more severe censorship. 

I'm not tuned in with what's going on with the censorship of any contemporary works since I don't have much of an interest in the first place but authoritarianism of any kind should not be tolerated.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #23 : Yesterday at 03:52:16 PM »

Washington Redskins undergoing 'thorough review' of team's name.

Yeah, call them Washingron Idiots. There are many over there, especially one. Take a look at the data on covid/19.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #24 : Today at 05:48:24 AM »

This is an e-mail sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after
an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins.

Dear Mr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am
highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins.
One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the
Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the
reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of
militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white
folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any
reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives. I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and
pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the
Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh
Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong
message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out
to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become
involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the
do-nothing Congress loves.

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in
mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name
of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than
"the Beavers" (especially when they play Southern California. Do we
really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???).

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for
the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the
"Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the
dick heads in Washington DC.

Added: maybe Cardinals could also be construed as religious, should dump those too

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines