Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 12:06:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Brotherhood of the Wolf aka Le pacte des loups (2001)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brotherhood of the Wolf aka Le pacte des loups (2001)  (Read 7174 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2004, 12:34:27 PM »

Rented this French DVD the other day, the movie was done pretty well, don't know the name of the director, though, maybe our french brothers can help.

ps, did he/she make any other films?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 03:24:46 AM »

Yeah, I saw it too a couple of months back - pretty cool imagery but I was disappointed in the ending, I seem to remember. The director was Gans or something, and he's made "Crying Freeman" as well, another action flick that I saw during something called the "Night Film Festival" maybe 7 years ago. It didn't premiere regurlarly, I think. And it wasn't very good - but had some nice visuals, kind of Manga-like, comix-like, John Woo-like. I was just never a John Woo fan.

klaatu
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 10:11:54 AM »

Rented this French DVD the other day, the movie was done pretty well, don't know the name of the director, though, maybe our french brothers can help.

ps, did he/she make any other films?

Brotherhood of the wolf made by French director Christophe Gans who made Japanese cartoon adaptation 'Crying Freeman' with Mark Dacascos.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 05:09:43 PM »

Ok thanks, do you know if it was adapted from a novel or was it an original screenplay?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
klaatu
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 10:45:30 PM »

Ok thanks, do you know if it was adapted from a novel or was it an original screenplay?

I believe Brotherhood of the wolf was written as original screenplay based on legend.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 12:55:43 PM »

It is a good movie. Here in France it was presented as a "technological" movie, because of the special very good camera and photography visual effects.

The movie is based on a real legend of the XVIIIth century in France.

I recommend you another "technological" french movie, i guess it can be downloaded from Kazaa, Imesh or Edonkey (beware of spywares...): Vidocq with Gérard Dépardieu. Directed by Pitof, who was the man in charge of the visual effects in all the movies of Jean Pierre Jeunet (in my opinion, the best french director of the moment) like Alien 3.

It is the first movie shot in digital cameras, before Episode II.

Has to be seen, good movie.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
klaatu
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 01:58:09 PM »

It is a good movie. Here in France it was presented as a "technological" movie, because of the special very good camera and photography visual effects.

The movie is based on a real legend of the XVIIIth century in France.

I recommend you another "technological" french movie, i guess it can be downloaded from Kazaa, Imesh or Edonkey (beware of spywares...): Vidocq with Gérard Dépardieu. Directed by Pitof, who was the man in charge of the visual effects in all the movies of Jean Pierre Jeunet (in my opinion, the best french director of the moment) like Alien 3.

It is the first movie shot in digital cameras, before Episode II.

Has to be seen, good movie.
I have Vidocq DVD. Even though movie itself is a bit lousy (sorry Shorty Larson Grin it's not really bad  though) picture quality presented in this movie is amazing(thanks to advanced HD camera technology) and probably the best I've ever seen.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 09:48:49 PM by klaatu » Logged
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 01:38:29 AM »

I saw Vidocq in the cinema for something called Midnight Movie Madness, and i was looking very much formard to it. But I was just SO utterly disappointed in it. It's just not very good... (I'm sorry too, Larson) Brotherhood of wolves was better.

If you go for stunning visuals, I'd have to say that HERO by Zhang Yimou is just the most amazing movie.  If you have not seen this one in the cinema, then don't. DON'T SEE IT ON A TV SCREEN!!

Its almost too composed, one incredible scene topping the other...  it's just in a whole other league, man, almost supernaturally beautiful. Hope you guys had the pleasure.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 01:47:44 PM »

We agree, I was talking about Vidocq as a good movie only in terms of revolutionnary visual effects.

The story sucks of course.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Jayson Kennedy
Bandido

Le tueur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2004, 01:08:58 PM »

Pretty good film, it's ashame the US R1 DVD is just the Theatrical Version without DTS  Undecided

(one of) moderator: www.dvdaficionado.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 05:28:28 AM »

Uh, it's been a while since this came out. I remember it was a big deal back then, advertised as ''one of the rare European movies as entertaining as the best Hollywood pictures''. Similar to that, on RT the general consensus is that it's ''wildly entertaining'', and that's true, but the vote on IMDb is more adequate - 7/10. In the first half, this movie has a great (mystery and historical) momentum, with shades of atmospheric horror, but then in the second half the unfolding of the conspiracy (and the characters) isn't as visceral as it should have been. There's a whole lot of good action, yes, just like in a Hollywood flick, and with much better locations, very entertaining the first time, unfortunately not so much with subsequent viewings. The problem is that this movie needed more mystery, and more time. It would/should have been a great TV series.

I still watch it every now and then, but after the knight returns from Paris, both the movie and my patience never quite recover. But I always forget this in the next watch and get caught up in the story again... Pity.

(somewhere just above) 7/10

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 05:30:12 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 05:41:57 AM »

Liked the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rlEkmSnZsY

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 06:20:13 AM »

You're wrong. Everything (over)sucks, from story to camerawork, from editing to acting, from dialogues to sound design.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 06:35:14 AM »

Thanks for explaining that to me. I correct my rating to: 0.076 out of 10.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 06:38:32 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 03:34:52 PM »

30' longer than required (the love interest, mainly), otherwise I could have given it a 8\10 as the mystery and action parts are well made. 7\10

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM