Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 03:33:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Don't understand the Advertisement slogan
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Don't understand the Advertisement slogan  (Read 3534 times)
Hippieoddball1
Bandido

Life is funnier than shit.

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2003, 08:14:03 AM »

There was one to take her, one to love her and one to kill her.
Now i understand Frank was the one to kill her, but as for the other two i'm confused.There was one to take her. Now does this mean as in Sam the wagon driver or is it on about sex, but apart from Frank no-one sleeps with her. Now do they mean take her as in make her life better, such as her and harmonica together?
There was one to love her. Now obviously Mcbain loved her, but do they mean cheyanne, or maybe harmonica?
I don't know, but on the poster obviously it's Fonda, Robards and Bronson who are the three stars, so it's referring to those three men in the slogan i presume. So that would mean Frank's the one to kill her, the only easy one to work out.
My guess is that Harmonica is the one to take her, and Cheyanne is the one to love her. But this does'nt make sense, so i presume Mcbain is the one to love her and theres no place for Cheyanne, or maybe harmonica, i'm confusing myself writing this.
If anyone has a clue what i'm on about let me know, cause i think i'm cracking up.

The reason you became a priest is because you were too much of a coward to do what i do.
Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 12:06:48 PM »

I believe that this is just a very intriguing advertising slogan made up by people who may have read the synopsis rather than viewing the film.

It is difficult to relate the slogan to the characters in the film, and whilst I agree that McBain clearly loved her, I feel that the slogan is surely meant to relate to the three main characters: Frank, Harmonica and Cheyenne.

Frank was clearly the "one to kill her". Although it may be argued that at one point it looked like Cheyenne may have turned up at the ranch to do just that: after all, Jill was scared enough to be debating using a knife on him as he talked around the massacre of her family.

Frank also clearly was the "one to take her" - if "take her" is understood as rape. But then Harmonica did seem to be about to rape her when he pushed her around in the barn, ripped her clothes and sent her out to get water from the well.  If by "take her", we mean "take her in hand", i.e "look after her", then I guess that's either Harmonica, who solved the Station mystery and beat the rigged auction, or Cheyenne who became her mentor and gave her the will to stay and live out McBain's dream.

The "one to love her" is Cheyenne. You can see how much he cared for her, particularly in the last scene at the ranch when Frank and Harmonica are duelling out back, and he's imparting his wisdom to her. He loved her in a fatherly way. I don't think Harmonica loved her, because he was just so wrapped up in his game of vengeance, and like Cheyenne said: people like that have something missing inside. However, I'm sure Jill wanted to love him.

So on balance, I'd go for Harmonica - take, Cheyenne - love, Frank- kill. But I'm pretty damn sure that isn't what the slogan writer at Paramount intended.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 01:05:05 PM »

I have the Once/West poster one-sheet (reproduction)which states that.  My comment is: don't put too much faith in what's on the one-sheet posters.  For example, for GBU one-sheet, Blondie is wearing a red ponch where his "real" one is brownish, Angel Eyes and Tuco are wearing outfits they don't wear in the film, and Blondie is lighting a cannon fuse for a cannon facing away from him.

Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 04:10:46 PM »

Is Clint's real poncho brownish? In the FOD DVD it definitely looks green.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 04:35:48 PM »

I have the Once/West poster one-sheet (reproduction)which states that.  My comment is: don't put too much faith in what's on the one-sheet posters.  For example, for GBU one-sheet, Blondie is wearing a red ponch where his "real" one is brownish, Angel Eyes and Tuco are wearing outfits they don't wear in the film, and Blondie is lighting a cannon fuse for a cannon facing away from him.

By poncho, do you mean the tannish trenchcoat he wears for a lot of the film?  'Cause the poncho is most certainly green.

Saturday nights with Groggy
mono
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 04:01:31 AM »

Now i understand Frank was the one to kill her, but as for the other two i'm confused.There was one to take her. Now does this mean as in Sam the wagon driver or is it on about sex, but apart from Frank no-one sleeps with her. Now do they mean take her as in make her life better, such as her and harmonica together?
There was one to love her. Now obviously Mcbain loved her, but do they mean cheyanne, or maybe harmonica?
I don't know, but on the poster obviously it's Fonda, Robards and Bronson who are the three stars, so it's referring to those three men in the slogan i presume. So that would mean Frank's the one to kill her, the only easy one to work out.
My guess is that Harmonica is the one to take her, and Cheyanne is the one to love her. But this does'nt make sense, so i presume Mcbain is the one to love her and theres no place for Cheyanne, or maybe harmonica, i'm confusing myself writing this.
If anyone has a clue what i'm on about let me know, cause i think i'm cracking up.

i always thought it was McBain to take her (as his wife), Cheyenne to love her, and Frank to kill her.
I never ever thought of linking this slogan to the characters on the poster (was there just one poster after all?)
but as the slogan doesn't explain further i think it's up to everybody to make up his own mind.  Undecided

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 04:38:19 AM »

Now i understand Frank was the one to kill her, but as for the other two i'm confused.There was one to love her. Now obviously Mcbain loved her, but do they mean cheyanne, or maybe harmonica?
My guess is that Harmonica is the one to take her, and Cheyanne is the one to love her. If anyone has a clue what i'm on about let me know, cause i think i'm cracking up.

I've also thought about this,and my conclusion is: Harmonica is the one to take her,Cheyenne is the one to love her and Frank is the one to kill her.

However,I think that the advertisement slogan was made by advertisement people who had probably watched the movie once and just wanted to have the slogan out of the way before going to lunch.  Cheesy

There was Leone to make the movie,actors to star in the movie and advertisement people to make a no-good slogan for the movie.

deMaie
Chicken Thief

Just saw myself in a Lucky Luke comics, I'm scary

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 08:28:36 PM »

Hi all

I was made aware of this slogan only recently when
I bought a Repro. poster. I have been arguing with
myself ever since  Smiley

My take is:

It is in the order of each of the three main characters
appearence toward Jill(Claudia).