Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 10:47:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Duck, You Sucker (aka A Fistful of Dynamite) 2-Disc Collector's Edition DVD is available! Order your copy today!

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  MAGNIFICENT BANDIT aka Viva Cangašeiro (O' Cangašeiro) (1970)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MAGNIFICENT BANDIT aka Viva Cangašeiro (O' Cangašeiro) (1970)  (Read 3933 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2008, 02:58:47 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065517/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/cangaceiro.htm

Zapata western moves to Brazil's sertao. The accoutrements change but the result is same. The movie is not great but it fares easily because it is visually attractive. The main reason to watch it though is Milian's performance which is very good, as he dubs himself in the italian version (don't know about the international one, if it does exist). His character is the one of a farmer who turns himself into an evangelical preacher and then into a cangašeiro. He strikes a deal to have the region rid of other cangašeiros gangs with Governor Fajardo who tries to cheat him.
The Ortolani's score is goodthough umemorable except for the main theme which I think was the one to be heard in the original cangašeiro movie made in Brasil in the '50's. 7\10   
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 12:42:26 PM by Banjo » Logged

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 12:44:38 PM »

Hey this is one of the Holy Grails that i need for my sw collection,being the only one i'm missing with Tomas Milian. Smiley

Hopefully an English language version may surface at some point.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 01:11:13 PM »

There is an English language version that is supposed to be forthcoming soon. Not sure of the date though.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 01:56:46 PM »

There is an English language version that is supposed to be forthcoming soon. Not sure of the date though.

I hope they release it soon. Been waiting for years....
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 10:21:22 AM »

Well, I couldn't get hold of an English dubbed version, so I watched the original Italian version with subs in English just a few days after I watched the original Brazilian movie O'Cangaceiro (1953) from Lima Barreto. At first, I thought the 1970 movie with Milian was a remake of the earlier film, but it is not. The main score (Mulher Rendeira) is taken from the original O'Cangaceiro, and I did not like the 1970 version at all. I found the 1953 original song played by its composer ZÚ do Norte fits the movie's general atmosphere much better.

The 1970 movie is entertaining and worth watching. Milian's acting is good (as usual) and Fajardo also plays a decent role as the evil Governor Branco. I was not impressed by Ugo Pagliai's role as the Dutch oil prospector, but I admit that the scene where he finds what is left of his car after returning to the village is priceless. Another memorable scene is when Milian and his group of cangaceiros end with the group of gangsters sent by Gov. Branco after Milian.

If you are looking for some light entertainment, this movie won't disappoint you.  6.5/10
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 12:00:41 PM »

Global video in South Africa was supposed to release this but it doesn't seem to have happened  Sad

I hope they release it soon. Been waiting for years....

There is a new French Release which is apparently of very high quality. However, it is only Italian and French audio with French subs. Why anyone, subtitles required or not, would want to watch Tomas Milian dubbed is completely beyond me! Seeing as this was made after "Face to Face", I am assuming Milian may well have used his own voice for the Italian track as well as the English one which would at least salvage this release somewhat.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 12:31:11 PM »

Why anyone, subtitles required or not, would want to watch Tomas Milian dubbed is completely beyond me!

In agreement but sometimes you have no choice.
As is the case with one of his best roles in Almost Human.
He was dubbed in both the original Italian version (when asked "why" he said it was because he didn't think, contrary to what everybody else told him, his Italian accent was any good) and the English version.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 07:06:03 PM »

In agreement but sometimes you have no choice.
As is the case with one of his best roles in Almost Human.
He was dubbed in both the original Italian version (when asked "why" he said it was because he didn't think, contrary to what everybody else told him, his Italian accent was any good) and the English version.

Yeh he's dubbed in both English and Italian in The Big Gundown too; it's a real shame. At least we get to hear his real voice in Run Man Run and Face to Face though.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 02:11:23 AM »

Yeah, the movie seems to lack a coagulant. It could be the (slight Cheesy) unoriginality of the story or the absence of strong dramatic points, though it's really hard to say... The movie is definitely visually attractive, and they all (director, actors, etc.) seem far more preoccupied with making it fare casually than bumping in the drama, like it's all just a cynical joke or something. This is a good or bad move depending entirely on what you expect from the movie. (I liked it.)

I'd say not great, but definitely worth a watch.

7/10
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:14:41 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 02:16:33 AM »

I was not impressed by Ugo Pagliai's role as the Dutch oil prospector, but I admit that the scene where he finds what is left of his car after returning to the village is priceless.

I also wasn't impressed but he wasn't bad either, and that scene really is awesome. Afro

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 03:19:36 PM »

There is a new French Release which is apparently of very high quality. However, it is only Italian and French audio with French subs. Why anyone, subtitles required or not, would want to watch Tomas Milian dubbed is completely beyond me! Seeing as this was made after "Face to Face", I am assuming Milian may well have used his own voice for the Italian track as well as the English one which would at least salvage this release somewhat.

I just bought the French DVD and it is a truly excellent release (providing you understand either Italian or French). Not only is Milian doing his own dubbing here, it appears that he is speaking Italian on set such that this is one that should definitely be watched in Italian. The bonus DVD includes an interview a French subtitled interview with Fago in Italian and a really nice French documentary about Zapata Westerns.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Support this site! Order Sergio Leone:
DVDs | Books | Soundtracks | Posters | Donate

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM