Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 08:24:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Conversations avec Sergio Leone
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Conversations avec Sergio Leone  (Read 14815 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 08:10:12 AM »

Ok here is my theory (I should re-read that section too but anyway):

Simsolo is a friend of Leone.
THEREFORE, according to him, Leone was the good guy. (1)

MOREOVER

Frayling is an academic.
THEREFORE, he has to interview everybody before writing anything, and to present every version of a particular event.
HENCE, according to him, Leone's version is not everytime called "The Truth". (2)

(1) and (2) => Simsolo hates Frayling.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 08:27:59 AM »

Good theory. That's what it sounds like to me too.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 02:12:16 PM »

Ok here is my theory (I should re-read that section too but anyway):

Simsolo is a friend of Leone.
THEREFORE, according to him, Leone was the good guy. (1)

MOREOVER

Frayling is an academic.
THEREFORE, he has to interview everybody before writing anything, and to present every version of a particular event.
HENCE, according to him, Leone's version is not everytime called "The Truth". (2)

(1) and (2) => Simsolo hates Frayling.

seems pretty logical.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2009, 07:16:04 AM »

Yup, Leone claims in Simsolo's book that the whole debacle regarding who was to direct Giu La Testa was set up by UA from the very beginning in order to have Leone, against his will, direct it. This is supposedly particularly the case after Coburn and Steiger apparently refused to appear without Leone's direction. Frayling cites Leone's claim but then suggests that this was rather a compromise reached later on after the whole Bogdanovich affair had already happened.
This is what, according to Cinema Retro's John Exshaw, Giancarlo Santi remembers:
The best-known story involving Santi concerns his aborted direction of ‘Giù la testa’, caused by Rod Steiger’s refusal to work with anyone other than Leone. After about three days, so the story goes, Steiger refused to continue under Santi’s direction, responding to Leone’s assurances that Santi was perfectly capable by saying, okay, I’ll send along my stand-in, he’s perfectly capable too. And so, reluctantly, Leone demoted Santi and assumed the directorial burden himself . . .

Santi, however, remembers things rather differently. At the end of filming ‘Once Upon a Time in the West’, he recalls, Leone turned to him, removed his viewfinder and placed it around Santi’s neck, telling him, “You will direct the next film.” Santi, who doesn’t appear to have harboured any great desire to be a director, thought no more about it. Some two years later, when Santi was working in Africa as assistant director on Glauber Rocha’s ‘The Lion Has Seven Heads’, Leone, unbeknownst to him, took out a full-page ad. in Variety announcing ‘Giù la testa’, “to be directed by Giancarlo Santi”. Leone was immediately bombarded with telegrams from both Steiger’s and James Coburn’s agents: their clients had accepted the film on the understanding that it was to be “Directed by Sergio Leone”, and they weren’t going to settle for the crown prince in place of the king. When Santi did join the film as assistant director, it was the first he’d heard of all this rumpus. . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2009, 07:59:17 AM »

This is what, according to Cinema Retro's John Exshaw, Giancarlo Santi remembers:

Very interesting... that tends to agree with Leone & Simsolo's version of the events

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM