Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 07:43:29 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  My thesis URL
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My thesis URL  (Read 4239 times)
Austin
Bandido

You brought two too many.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2004, 09:55:25 AM »

OK a few people expressed an interest in reading my M.A. thesis on Leone, and I at last worked out how to get it on the web, so here it is:

www.austinfisher.8k.com

If you can be bothered ploughing your way through it I'd be interested to hear your comments. It was written two and a half years ago so not everything there is still my opinion (since subsequent research has informed me more). Anyway it's there if you're interested.

Cheers.

The Americans have only rented (America) temporarily. If they don't behave well, if the mythical level is lowered... then we can always evict them.
deMaie
Chicken Thief

Just saw myself in a Lucky Luke comics, I'm scary

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 11:36:33 AM »

Hi Austin

Your document is fantastic to read. I really like it.

And as a side note, I'm happy to now know that Leone
and Peckinpah did converse together about their filming
experiences.

Thanks

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 01:33:36 PM »

Excellent work, excellent research and excellents results.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Austin
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 03:43:06 AM »

Thanks for the positive comments. Very encouraging. If I ever finish this goddam PhD I'll have to get it properly published, but it's nice to have a website to get work 'out there' at long last!

Oh by the way deMaie - if you're interested in Leone/Peckinpah comparisons, Lee Clark Mitchell's Westerns: Making the Man in Fiction and Film has got a lot of good material on this, even if he veers off into Freudianism a little too much for my taste.

The Americans have only rented (America) temporarily. If they don't behave well, if the mythical level is lowered... then we can always evict them.
piribiriboing
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 06:51:30 PM »

Huh  Shocked Huh Shocked Undecided Wink

But if you don't make a correction of Columbus expedition's date in chapter 1 you will never pass the examination.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 05:19:21 AM »

Oh, come on piribiriboing, 20 years of difference is just a detail.

Even more when we know that Columbus was not the first european to arrive in America.

Vikings, romans and phaenicians arrived long before Columbus, so what's 20 years???

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004, 05:20:38 AM »

I forgot, Thor hederdahl and his "Ra" expedition demonstrated that even the egyptians were able to travel trough the Atlantic.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2004, 06:11:34 AM »

I was listing to a Melvin Bragg Radio programme on BBC Radio 4 about 3 months ago.  Something about how the English language has changed and come to be in our world through history today.

He mentioned this little thing.

Very early in the Europeans failed attempts to land at Virginia, through heavy native fighting. One English expedition managed to kidnap a Native American Indian during the fighting, before heading back to England.

He became apart of the British Navy. They taught this man to Speak English, had a English name etc (Which I can't remember off the top of my head -could help with a internet search).  This was nothing new of the time.

But.. Now ten years down the line he managed to escape back to the father land from Portsmouth.
He was taken back into his tribe on the east coast some where.

Now much later the first proper European settlers on landing, where approached by this Native American Indian on the beach.

With the word... W e l c o m e.

And continued to speak to them in a fluent English.

How much of a head f&*k would that be?  Shocked
I had to laugh Grin

« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 06:32:57 AM by The Smoker » Logged

piribiriboing
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2004, 11:05:28 AM »

Ok, Shorty. Can easily be what in Italy is called a "lapsus" (slip?), but depends who's the examinator...

Austin
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 02:26:03 AM »

Good spot Piribiriboing. That was a typo, but one I should have seen myself. I shall remedy it. Actually that dissertation was examined in 2001, and it fell short of a distinction by one per cent  Angry Maybe that's why  Wink........

but seriously, i'd rather have mis-typed a date that is beside the point than some central one like the Civil War.

Oh and I studied Eirikr the Red's expeditions as part of my first degree's Old Icelandic component - very interesting. Those Minnesota Vikings have a bit of history to 'em!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2004, 04:40:47 AM »

Great observations, enjoyed the read.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004, 02:07:38 PM »

Austin, that was nicely done - impressive.  That was very well written, I never realized a masters thesis could be intelligible.  Not too shabby for a half-breed Viking.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Austin
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2004, 07:18:49 AM »

Gee shucks Roll Eyes

Just don't expect my next undertaking to be so intelligible! Tongue

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 01:44:19 PM »

I don't know if Minessotta is the home base of vikings, it is, yes, the home base of football team indeed!!!

But it has archeologically been proved that vikings reached Terranova, in Canada. There is an archeological sita calle "L'Anse aux Meadows" wich is a viking city, possible stablished by Leif Ericsson.

http://whc.unesco.org/sites/fr/4.htm

There was a crazy french named Jacques de Mahieu who had the theory that vikings even reached south america and stablished the Inca empire. He wrote several books about it.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM