Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 07:25:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Zulu on Blu-ray
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zulu on Blu-ray  (Read 3803 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2008, 02:24:53 PM »

If you love this film you will have to go blu before long. Just check this out: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=1594&show=review

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 02:56:46 PM »

Wow the clearity is amazing! I'm not huge on blu-ray as of yet but this looks like I'll have to pick this up at some point but not until the prices dip a bit.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 03:02:58 PM »

Prices on players are dropping fast. Tis the season, especially in the midst of a recession (i.e. the stores are pricing to sell).

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 04:14:32 PM »

Prices on players are dropping fast. Tis the season, especially in the midst of a recession (i.e. the stores are pricing to sell).

Yeah, I need to pick up a player at some point. I guess I'll use the old reliable Playstation 3 in the mean time.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Whalestoe
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 04:32:54 PM »

Yeah, I need to pick up a player at some point. I guess I'll use the old reliable Playstation 3 in the mean time.

That's what I use.

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 06:07:51 PM »

is there any difference between the two other then the PS3 makes alot of noise (from what i've heard)?

Whalestoe
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 07:11:41 PM »

is there any difference between the two other then the PS3 makes alot of noise (from what i've heard)?

My PS3 never makes a lot of noise. That's more in line with my Xbox 360 trying to play DVDs.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 08:05:51 PM »

Yeah, I need to pick up a player at some point.

NO YOU DON'T.

I'm happy to announce that blu-ray is officially dead.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=365

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
I knew this crap would never catch on.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 08:07:59 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 04:03:45 PM »

Over at HTF Nick Redman, Twilight Time's main man, has this to say:
In response to some readers interest in, and questions about, TT's upcoming release of ZULU, I just wanted to offer some small details about it -- we don't know much about the overall specs at this point, but the following is what we do know.

It is certainly not the UK transfer. It couldn't be as that one belongs to a different studio -- Paramount, who own the film in most of the world's territories. In the USA home video rights is controlled by MGM/UA through Studio Canal. Our transfer generated by MGM/UA (or Studio Canal) some years ago (it is possibly older than the UK transfer) still has evidence of some minor wear and tear -- little flecks of dirt and debris here and there -- what Mr Harris has taught me is known as "minus density." There is not enough of it to spoil anyone's enjoyment of the film, but what it does of course mean is that there has been little in the way of digital clean-up, and that things like DNR are apparently not in evidence.

As we know, whether a transfer is "good" or "bad" is often in the eye of the beholder, and to my somewhat biased bifocals, the transfer here has a very natural look to it. Color and detail is strong, picture is generally stable (with a moment or two of lateral jitter), but to me this is the movie I have always known and loved. To borrow a quote from our pal Haineshisway "it is the way I remember it in cinemas." And I have this seen this movie theatrically projected more than 40 times.

Audio is mono, but we also have a 2.0 "stereo" track that we are planning to use as well to give viewers the choice. My preference is always for the clean mono. The thing to remember about ZULU is that the marvelous score by John Barry was recorded in mono, so any stereo field the film might have is confined to the slightly directionalized dialogue, and the effects.

Extras will be necessarily sparse -- we do have the John Barry score in crisp, clear mono as an isolated track, and we have a new commentary featuring the witty, acerbic, and insightful screenwriter Lem Dobbs, and myself, babbling like idiots about why the film is important.

This is a case where I don't care one whit about whether we sell 50 copies, 20 copies, 10 copies or no copies. This a film that we love almost (The Wild Bunch excepted) above all other, and when MGM/UA offered it to us we were over the moon. We're releasing it on Jan 22nd, the 50th anniversary of the film's premiere in London, and the 135th anniversary of the battle at Rorke's Drift. And we couldn't be more proud.

We invite any of you who cares to join us in the celebration.

All best,

Nick.
This is good news for people unhappy with the image on the UK disc. Bad news for people who don't want to pay TT's prices, though . . .

And CinemaRetro also smells an anniversary, so: http://www.in70mm.com/news/2013/cinema_retro/index.htm

« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 04:10:38 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/the-untold-story-of-the-film-zulu-starring-michael-caine-50-years-on-9069558.html

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 04:19:59 PM »

Thanks, Grogs, good find. The TT Blu of the film (as well as the one of Khartoum) is now available.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 07:17:39 AM »

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4397zulu.html

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 09:22:23 AM »

I watched Brian & Nick's release last week and I loved the quality! I didn't even know the UK has a different HD master.
I had never seen the film before (it is rather hard to get in Germany) and I'm so happy I didn't see
it on VHS or DVD yet. To see it for the first time in such fantastic quality was great, just great. Loved the film.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 10:22:46 AM »

I watched Brian & Nick's release last week and I loved the quality! I didn't even know the UK has a different HD master.
I had never seen the film before (it is rather hard to get in Germany) and I'm so happy I didn't see
it on VHS or DVD yet. To see it for the first time in such fantastic quality was great, just great. Loved the film.
Glad to hear it. I think most everybody on this board likes the film.

I have the UK Blu. I'd like to have the TT one as well, but I'm already planning to buy so many TT titles this year (Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, The Train, The Mechanic, Two Rode Together) that I won't be able to afford it. And multiple Blu-ray copies of a single title is a dangerous precedent to set.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 01:01:34 PM »

Well, sometimes it happens Smiley
I just bought the German BLUES BROTHERS BD and had to learn
that it does not include the extended cut. I'd never thought UNIVERSAL
would release different BD's all over Europe.. So I had to bite the bullet and
bought the UK BD.

Just let TWO RODE TOGETHER go Smiley. John Ford is among my Top 3 when
it comes to directors, but that film on BD? Well, who am I to add my 2 cents?
I just watched FUTUREWORLD on BD Smiley

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM