Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 03:33:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Would you consider Blondie as a bandit of sorts?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would you consider Blondie as a bandit of sorts?  (Read 8082 times)
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2008, 11:10:26 PM »

I know well that Blondie is the 'good' in the movie, but isn't what he did with Tuco, collecting the reward money, then shooting him down,  considered stealing?   He turned Tuco in for the reward money, then shot him down and took him to another town for more reward money ($3,000).   Isn't rather ironic that he's called the 'good' in the movie, but dishonestly collects the reward money?   Your thoughts?

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 01:18:45 AM »

All the three main characters are outlaws and criminals, but I guess only Tuco falls into the category of bandit because he's the only one who has a band of criminals (the three Mexicans). And because I just realised I was making a fool of myself I must say that of course Angel Eyes has a band too, so technically speaking he's a bandit too... I guess. Blondie always acts on his own. Yes, he joins up with Tuco (and Shorty or what ever is his name) to collect the reward money but two doesn't really make a band, and yes, he joins up with AE's band  but could anyone say that he was ever a part of it? 

Isn't rather ironic that he's called the 'good' in the movie, but dishonestly collects the reward money?
Exactly.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 02:04:47 PM »

He's more of a con-artist but both descriptions mean the same thing.
Criminal.

AE is a Bounty Hunter.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 03:15:47 PM »

You bet Blondie's a crook, or at minimum con artist.  He has no morals against double-crossing Tuco and leaving him in the desert to die.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 01:10:29 PM »

Clearly, all three of them are bandits, but even bandits live by a code of honour. I would describe Blondie as the one who is living (for the most part) by that code, Sentenza as having no morals or scruples at all, and Tuco as the one falling somewhere in the middle.

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 01:51:56 AM »

I agree with everyone - great points made, everyone.   I just found it quite ironic that Blondie cons the sheriffs out of the reward money, but yet, he's called the 'good' in the movie.  A con artist isn't 'good', considering he's doing wrong, but in this movie, my best assumption is that, out of the three, he's the 'least of the three evils' - lol.    Blondie is compassionate to a point, considering he had many chances to kill Tuco, but he didn't.  He had Tuco at his mercy, especially at the end when Tuco has the noose around his neck.  Blondie could have easily knocked that grave marker/cross out from under Tuco, but he didn't.  Shooting him down seemed to be like a challenge to Blondie, considering the distance he shot Tuco down from.  Nonetheless, it was just a thought that came to mind and wanted to get some opinions about this little trivial thing - lol.  Thanks a bunch for all your input!    Wink Afro

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 03:14:20 PM »

He's more of a con-artist but both descriptions mean the same thing.
Criminal.

AE is a Bounty Hunter.

Hang on a minute...AE isn't a Bounty Hunter...he's a cold blooded murderer and torturer who kills for money, not bounty
remember Baker and er!.... whats his name...the farmer/ex soldier...Stevens
ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 05:26:13 PM »

I think I would be more accurate to say that AE is a hired gun.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 07:02:22 PM »

I think I would be more accurate to say that AE is a hired gun.

I have to agree with CJ.  AE is a hired gun who is paid to find someone.   Remember the line when he goes to see Stevens:  "I would have found him by now.  That's why they pay me".   He's paid to hunt down people of interest, whether it be for revenge or for information - he's a hired gun.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 07:38:32 PM »

Angel Eyes is a smart, cold blooded and ready for everything SOB pistolero. He's not a bandit, killer, bounty hunter, or hired gun, he's something much worse - a man who'd do anything to get out of that shit... the richer he can.

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 09:37:58 PM »

Angel Eyes is a smart, cold blooded and ready for everything SOB pistolero. He's not a bandit, killer, bounty hunter, or hired gun, he's something much worse - a man who'd do anything to get out of that shit... the richer he can.

In my last post, I mentioned that, when he goes to see Stevens, he tells him "That's why they pay me".  He gets paid to do a job - collects the money for completing the job that is given to him to do.   In my opinion, he IS  a hired gun.  My guess is (not indicated in the movie) is that he is well-known in those parts and many know his merciless and ruthless reputation.   I also assume the word is around about his great ability to go the extra mile to get a job done - all for the money.  That's how he makes his living:  by being a ruthless sharpshooter-for-hire.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 09:39:03 PM by Calamity Jane » Logged
iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 01:41:36 PM »

In my last post, I mentioned that, when he goes to see Stevens, he tells him "That's why they pay me".  He gets paid to do a job - collects the money for completing the job that is given to him to do.   In my opinion, he IS  a hired gun.  My guess is (not indicated in the movie) is that he is well-known in those parts and many know his merciless and ruthless reputation.   I also assume the word is around about his great ability to go the extra mile to get a job done - all for the money.  That's how he makes his living:  by being a ruthless sharpshooter-for-hire.

YOU MEAN AN ASSASSIN......ie a cold blooded murderer..

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 04:10:57 PM »

YOU MEAN AN ASSASSIN......ie a cold blooded murderer..

ICE

I don't agree that he's a cold-blooded murderer.   If he was such, then he would be killing people at random for no reason.  Those people that he 'eliminates' are people that are crooked and criminal such as Baker, who pays AE to get information.   Baker's intention was to pay AE to kill Stevens, but not before he gets the information he wants.   If AE was a cold-blooded killer/murderer, he would have easily killed 'half-soldier' or the woman in the stagecoach or even Maria.   He only kills those that he sees would double-cross him or those he sees as not being of any use or help to him in getting what he wants or is looking for.   To those that cooperate with him in telling him what he wants to know, he lets them live in exchange for the information they give.  In the case of Blondie and Tuco, however, he doesn't kill them 'cause he knows they both have a secret that they're hiding and so, he has to be very careful in how he goes about getting those 'secrets' out of them, though he doesn't succeed with Blondie 'cause he knows Blondie would rather have his part of the secret go to the grave with him.   Anyway, I don't see AE completely as a cold-blooded killer.   He's a hired sharp-shooter that only kills when he feels it's necessary.   Remember too, that AE could have easily had Tuco killed when Wallace was beating on him - he could have told Wallace to simply kill him, but he also knows that Tuco would eventually spill the beans - just took the right 'move' to get it out of him, which was Wallace nearly gouging his eyes out to make him talk.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:12:59 PM by Calamity Jane » Logged
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 05:47:26 PM »

You're mistaken, Calamity Jane. One doesn't have to be frenzy in order to be cold blooded.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 05:59:48 PM »

Remember too, that AE could have easily had Tuco killed when Wallace was beating on him - he could have told Wallace to simply kill him......

There was a price on Tuco's head, that's why his life was spared.  Evil

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM