Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 12:28:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What is the most priceless GBU quote/line from the movie?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is the most priceless GBU quote/line from the movie?  (Read 32463 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2012, 04:44:42 AM »

I think the bread looks accurate, I've seen old illustrations, if you didn't have a pan and just shaped a loaf by hand or dumped it right out of a bowl it would look like that

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2012, 07:33:35 AM »

I think the bread looks accurate, I've seen old illustrations, if you didn't have a pan and just shaped a loaf by hand or dumped it right out of a bowl it would look like that

True CJ.  The Hispanic influence of the Southwest may also play a part.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2012, 07:45:10 AM »

But some of those Mediterannean-shaped breads have lines on top of the bread similar to this Spanish bread http://blog.tienda.com/2009/10/the-quest-for-organic-artisan-bread/ or this Moroccan bread http://www.amideastfeast.com/recipes/moroccan-bread/

while others have a flat top, like in the second picture on this page http://funnelcloud.blogspot.com/2011/02/international-meal-morocco-bread-of.html

I believe the one in GBU that is next to Tuco when he is being tortured has the lines.

If it was the flat top, then maybe it was just dumped haphazardly with no available pan; but wouldn't the fact that it has the lines cut in a specific pattern indicate that it was intentionally made in that shape?

As for Groggy's comment on the Hispanic influence in the Southwest, is Mexican bread shaped in the same way that the Mediterannean bread is shaped? I don't know, I've never seen Mexican bread; just burittos and tacos and tortillas!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:28:26 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2012, 08:56:25 AM »

I did find this:

A baguette-type of pastry called bollilo appears to be very popular as well.

Anyway, I'm no culinary expert, so you may be right drink. It wouldn't shock me if an Italian/Spanish bread got into an Italian movie shot in Spain. Cheesy

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2012, 04:33:12 PM »

the reason I noticed this: I used to go to summer camp with this cook who was from Morocco. On the table where her own family ate, she made these special traditional Moroccan loaves of bread for her own family. To this day, it's the only time I'd seen that bread... until I noticed it in GBU. That's why I realized this. I'm sure they just used the loaves of bread they had in Spain and didn't think of having American-style loaves. Clint, Eli, or Lee should have alerted them to this  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2012, 08:35:14 PM »

the reason I noticed this: I used to go to summer camp with this cook who was from Morocco. On the table where her own family ate, she made these special traditional Moroccan loaves of bread for her own family. To this day, it's the only time I'd seen that bread... until I noticed it in GBU. That's why I realized this. I'm sure they just used the loaves of bread they had in Spain and didn't think of having American-style loaves. Clint, Eli, or Lee should have alerted them to this  Wink

BS I think in 1865 that was pretty close to what "home made" bread looked like.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2012, 12:57:26 AM »

BS I think in 1865 that was pretty close to what "home made" bread looked like.

All I know is what bread looks like in 2012: in America it is rectangle/oval loaves, and in Mediterannean regions I believe it looks just like the bread in GBU. I have absolutely no clue what American bread looked like in Texas during the Civil War; you're the historian here  Wink

So you're saying that it may well have looked like that in 1860's Texas, and I have no argument with that.  But my only question is this:  are saying that A) the bread in 1860's Texas was  specifically made in that round/flat shape? Or are you just saying that B) the pans in 1860's Texas were shaped just like they are in America today, with ovals/rectangles; however, if a woman was making home-made bread and didn't have a pan, she'd just plop the bread into the oven without any special shape, and it may well come out round and flat similar to the Mediterranean shape?
It seems to me like your answer is B), correct?

But here's my problem: if you look at the bread in the Stevens home, you will see that it clearly has those lines, it was made in that shape specifically, similar to this one http://www.amideastfeast.com/recipes/moroccan-bread/

So if you are saying the answer is A), then it makes sense. The bread was made in that shape, and that makes sense.
But if your answer is B), that that round/flat shape was just an informal shape that resulted from the bread being plopped loosely into the oven without any special shaping, then why did Stevens's bread have those specially-made lines? (It should instead look like this one  http://www.flickr.com/photos/funnelcloud/5409341623/ )
It seems to me like those lines are a special design, indicating that the bread was intended to be made this way, rather than simply being plopped into the oven without any specifically-intended shape.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:05:54 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2012, 03:52:38 AM »

Afro

the lines are either where the dough splits or where its twisted or where the particular housewife decorates it, it can be pure arbitrary, its certainly not going to look like sliced bread shape

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2012, 01:31:51 AM »

Also, you see the Mediterannean loaves of bread, which are round and almost flat, ( shaped something like this http://www.amideastfeast.com/recipes/moroccan-bread/ ) in the eating scenes at Stevens's house and with Tuco in Angel Eyes's room. That's how the bread looks in Mediteranean regions, but not in America (I presume that loaves of bread in Texas during the Civil War look the same as they do in America now)

In Stevens' home the bread is probably baked by his mexican wife.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2012, 04:11:04 PM »

On a related point, the wine bottles are all wrapped Italian style. I don't think we've ever had bottles wrapped like that, except on imported Chianti (and maybe domestic knock-offs).

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2012, 05:38:30 PM »

On a related point, the wine bottles are all wrapped Italian style. I don't think we've ever had bottles wrapped like that, except on imported Chianti (and maybe domestic knock-offs).

take a look  Wink

http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-901700/civil-war-era-wicker-bottle-14-inch--field-hospital-display--antietam-museum.html

http://www.glswrk-auction.com/030.htm

http://www.bottlebooks.com/demijohn/wirehandledemijohn.jpg

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:48:18 PM by cigar joe » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2012, 10:30:20 PM »

Frayling did mention on the commentary that those are indeed Italian bottles, it does seem to be a mistake. I mean, if that bottle just shows up one time, then it could be that maybe one guy had an import or something! But it shows up multiple times (the bottle that Tuco throws that rolls down the hill in the desert and lands by Blondie's head looks the same). So it does seem to be a mistake, they should have used American-looking bottles.

Similarly, titoli argues that Stevens's bread was baked by his Mexican wife, but the problem with that argument is that the bread in Angel Eyes's headquarters (we see it right next to Tuco's head as he is being tortured on the table by Wallace) looks the same. Well, did the Union baker just so happen to be Mexican as well?  

so the fact that the Mediterranean bread and bottles show up multiple times to me indicates that there was an oversight, unless cigar joe is correct. And I wouldn't dare argue with our resident Professor and Historian of the Old West  Wink

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:31:33 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2012, 07:33:12 AM »

Frayling did mention on the commentary that those are indeed Italian bottles, it does seem to be a mistake. I mean, if that bottle just shows up one time, then it could be that maybe one guy had an import or something! But it shows up multiple times (the bottle that Tuco throws that rolls down the hill in the desert and lands by Blondie's head looks the same). So it does seem to be a mistake, they should have used American-looking bottles.

Similarly, titoli argues that Stevens's bread was baked by his Mexican wife, but the problem with that argument is that the bread in Angel Eyes's headquarters (we see it right next to Tuco's head as he is being tortured on the table by Wallace) looks the same. Well, did the Union baker just so happen to be Mexican as well?  

so the fact that the Mediterranean bread and bottles show up multiple times to me indicates that there was an oversight, unless cigar joe is correct. And I wouldn't dare argue with our resident Professor and Historian of the Old West  Wink

WTF are you talking about, did you even look at the image links I posted? The images SHOW American wicker bottles and one from the Civil War battlefield Antietam.

WTF am I even posting answer image links for if you don't look at them    Cool

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:53:58 AM by cigar joe » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2012, 08:41:36 AM »

The fact that coincidental bottles and bread existed in the old west doesn't mean the actual ones used in the film aren't Italian/European. It's certainly easy to buy that a movie shooting in Italy and Spain would have European props.

While Leone was generally good with details, he also had cannon from the Napoleonic era and post-war Gatling guns in the bridge battle. It's not something your average viewer would pick up on. Nor I suppose does it really matter whether the bread is Spanish or Mexican.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2012, 09:14:25 AM »

Yes, I don't know anything about guns, but Frayling said some of those big guns were borrowed from a Spanish museum and are from a different era than the Civil War. He likes to say that Leone uses surface detail to make things appear authentic, while then screwing around with shit per his liking. So it's not that Leone didn't understand that some of the big guns were anachronistic; he just knew that he'd created authentic surface detail and wanted to fill it in with stuff he liked. Similarly, supposedly Blondie's cartridges (in the gun we see him cleaning before shooting Tuco's men in the hotel room) are anachronistic for the Civil War.

cj, did you read the final paragraph of my previous post? I said I won't argue with our resident Professor. And I never brought up the issue about the bottles (though once it was mentioned, I repeated what Frayling said); my issue was with the bread  Wink

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 09:29:52 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM