Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 02:25:59 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Last Days Of Mussolini(Carlo Lizzani,1974)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last Days Of Mussolini(Carlo Lizzani,1974)  (Read 1635 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2008, 06:22:44 AM »

Saw this movie the other day on the UK Movies4men sattelite channel which documents Mussolini's desparate struggle to flee Italy during the closing stages of World War 2.It plays out as one big tug of war between multiple parties(Germans,Americans,partisans) trying their utmost to preserve or lynch him.

Rod Steiger is excellent throughout as the ill fated "Il Duce" brilliantly portraying him as a broken man haunted by his past acts rather than the usual brash OTT meglomaniac dictator seen in old b&w footage.Director Carlo Lizzani who previously made two very action packed sw's delivers a very talky piece of work which nonetheless still manages to hold ones attention as it builds into a very tense climax.Franco Nero and Henry Fonda provide great support as the lead partisan and Cardinal respectively and Morricone excells as expected with the soundtrack .

My rating 8 out of 10. Afro

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 06:52:44 AM »

I saw this a long time ago and though it was good too, I don't remember Franco Nero in it so it was obviously seen before I ever saw any of his Spaghetti Westerns.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:08:12 AM »

I was wondering myself when i watched it about whether Nero was actually in it ,but he does how show up well into the second half of this two hour movie.A ruthless and humourless role for Nero but he does a decent job of it.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM