Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 09:03:59 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)  (Read 6127 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 02:53:35 AM »

Amazon didn't ship! Their page reads: Temporarily Out of Stock. My ass!

Somebody in the supply chain fell down on the job. Meanwhile, I'm not waiting for those clowns to get their act together. DeepDiscount appears to have the disc in stock--and cheaper. Yeah, I'll go with them (and I just renewed my Prime membership at amazon. Bathtubs!)
Afro
Indeed, good advice.

I had the same issue - my pre-order was supposed to be available June 7, but it didn't ship. I tried canceling - and eventually was able to (they initially didn't let me cuz the BRD was part of a larger order of $49 for non-Prime members to get free shipping) , but when i got ahold of customer service and told her how unfair it was to not allow me to cancel now that the pre-order sale has passed, they relented and canceled my order. Then, I bought it from Deep Discount, whose price was so cheap that even with a $3.99 shipping fee I ended up payig a few cents less than what I would have had to pay Amazon!

Not sure exactly when I will receive it - and frankly, I am in no hurry. It's just good to know that I have ordered it from a place that does have them in stock and that it'll be on the post within a couple of days  Wink

Btw, for whatever it's worth, the Amazon customer service rep said that their supplier must have come through with less than what they had promised them. E.g., let's say Amazon took 1000 pre-orders because the supplier had promised them 1000 copies, but then the supplier only ended up coming through with 500 copies.

Thanks for the tip, DJ  Afro

Now, does Deep Discount (whom I have ordered from in the past and like very much) always have new discs at prices cheaper than Amazon? In that case, it may be worthwhile for me not to do pre-sales anymore, just wait for Day 1 and then compare price of Amazon and Deep Discount?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:59:20 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 06:46:15 AM »

Now, does Deep Discount (whom I have ordered from in the past and like very much) always have new discs at prices cheaper than Amazon? In that case, it may be worthwhile for me not to do pre-sales anymore, just wait for Day 1 and then compare price of Amazon and Deep Discount?
No, they just happen to be running a sale right now.

Usually amazon is the better way to go--until now I've never had an issue with them supplying an item on its street date. Obviously I'll be keeping an eye on them from now on.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 04:42:47 PM »

DJ, have you seen the BRD yet?

Mine came in the mail, but I have not had a chance to watch it yet.

Beaver is unhappy with it (though he only posts BRD's screencaps, not the DVD's, so you can't compare) http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_71/she_wore_a_yellow_ribbon_blu-ray.htm

I'll have a look when I have a chance, but I guess I'll be hanging onto my copy of the DVD as well.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 07:53:44 PM »

DJ, have you seen the BRD yet?

Mine came in the mail, but I have not had a chance to watch it yet.

Beaver is unhappy with it (though he only posts BRD's screencaps, not the DVD's, so you can't compare) http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_71/she_wore_a_yellow_ribbon_blu-ray.htm

I'll have a look when I have a chance, but I guess I'll be hanging onto my copy of the DVD as well.

I have good news for you. Beaver reviewed the Japanese region free bluray that was apparently released several weeks ago. I didn't notice it at first either.

Blu-ray.com's review of Warner's release was very complimentary:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/She-Wore-a-Yellow-Ribbon-Blu-ray/125364/

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:55:04 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2016, 02:54:29 PM »

I've been in Japan all week, so I haven't seen it yet. It should be waiting for me when I get back on Monday and I'll give it a spin first thing. I'm glad T.H. has cleared up the confusion--I've read other reviews that were more than positive, so I'm expecting this to look really, really good.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 05:50:51 PM »

Thanks, T.H.  Afro

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 08:15:38 PM »

No problem. I just clicked the link for a second time and then randomly caught that it was the Japanese disc, which is so odd that two different blurays would release within weeks of one another when there wasn't a release for like 8 years (as far as I know).

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 11:45:30 PM »

That's a sloppy job by Beaver. If any of you are on his email list or ever contact him, you should tell him to get his shit together, i.e., review the Warner Bros. BRD.

anyway ... I just skipped around through the first half-hour or so of the Warner Bros. BRD, and it is BEAUTIFUL. (In fact, maybe don't tell Beaver anything. I prefer to think of him going through life with the crappy Jap disc; the WB one is too good for him.) Won't have time to watch more before I have to go to sleep. It's BEAUTIFUL.

As for the movie itself: This is very pretty to look at, but IMO Fort Apache is clearly the best of the trilogy. SWAYR really has no real conflict like FA does. Everything is nice and cute and the whole attempt is to make peace and avoid war. In FA, there is the conflict with the Fonda character, then the conflict with the Indians; and Wayne trying to make peace but Fonda bringing a needless war. So, in FA, you get all the nice stuff about life on a military base, but there's also a real toughness; and then the "print the legend" ending.
SWAYR has much less toughness, no real conflict. It's cutesy stuff and beautiful Technicolor. A nice film, but not in the same realm as FA, or Stagecoach or The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance or My Darling Clementine. For me, there are four Ford Westerns that get a 9/10-10/10: Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine, Fort Apache, and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

But, yeah, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon is damn beautiful to look at  Smiley Afro

speaking of Remington, I saw this painting of his at The Met http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/11.192/

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:04:27 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 07:46:17 AM »

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949) - 9/10. John Ford's love letter to the profession of arms. Refreshingly, the film favors a meandering narrative over the conventions of drama (e.g. all action does not build to a single climax). This allows Ford to explore the work-a-day-world of professional soldiering whilst dispensing with the usual story elements enjoyed by children and retards. Naturally Ford wishes to honor the men who fought WWII, and there are occasionally anachronistic touches (A fort bar operating during duty hours?), but attention to the details of Indian fighting circa 1876 is often scrupulously observed. One thing I noticed on this viewing is the many times the troop mascot races along with the horse soldiers--like something a painter might have observed; also, I was gratified to see the men on patrol routinely walking their mounts as per SOP; another great thing is the use made of bugle calls. I did a little bit of bugling in Boy Scouts myself--I even got the merit badge--and I remember having to learn a lot of the calls. It wasn't always clear to me what the purpose of every call was. When, for example, was "Officer's Call" used? The picture gives us an answer: when the commander wants his officers--and only his officers--to leave the troop and join him on point.

Ford goes wrong when he decides to throw in the occasional "humorous" scene; Victor McLaglen's donnybrook in the bar is an egregious case (and the reason I can't give this film a "10"). Also, Ford's taste in music is insipid--we get the tiresome title theme again and again ("Hey, this approach worked so well in My Darling Clementine") and too rarely a jaunty air such as "Garryowen" (the march tune of the 7th Cavalry). But these cavils do not spoil things for me. And then there's the glorious Technicolor, rendered so well on the new Warner disc in 1080p. Break out the sunglasses! Finally, it's wonderful to have an entertaining film where irony is almost non-existent and cynicism is zero. It's amazing that, once upon a time, such a film could be made.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 11:14:21 AM »

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949) - 9/10. John Ford's love letter to the profession of arms. Refreshingly, the film favors a meandering narrative over the conventions of drama (e.g. all action does not build to a single climax). This allows Ford to explore the work-a-day-world of professional soldiering whilst dispensing with the usual story elements enjoyed by children and retards. Naturally Ford wishes to honor the men who fought WWII, and there are occasionally anachronistic touches (A fort bar operating during duty hours?), but attention to the details of Indian fighting circa 1876 is often scrupulously observed. One thing I noticed on this viewing is the many times the troop mascot races along with the horse soldiers--like something a painter might have observed; also, I was gratified to see the men on patrol routinely walking their mounts as per SOP; another great thing is the use made of bugle calls. I did a little bit of bugling in Boy Scouts myself--I even got the merit badge--and I remember having to learn a lot of the calls. It wasn't always clear to me what the purpose of every call was. When, for example, was "Officer's Call" used? The picture gives us an answer: when the commander wants his officers--and only his officers--to leave the troop and join him on point.

Ford goes wrong when he decides to throw in the occasional "humorous" scene; Victor McLaglen's donnybrook in the bar is an egregious case (and the reason I can't give this film a "10"). Also, Ford's taste in music is insipid--we get the tiresome title theme again and again ("Hey, this approach worked so well in My Darling Clementine") and too rarely a jaunty air such as "Garryowen" (the march tune of the 7th Cavalry). But these cavils do not spoil things for me. And then there's the glorious Technicolor, rendered so well on the new Warner disc in 1080p. Break out the sunglasses! Finally, it's wonderful to have an entertaining film where irony is almost non-existent and cynicism is zero. It's amazing that, once upon a time, such a film could be made.

Nice review, nice movie, great BRD. But is there anything here about the "work-a-day-world of professional soldiering" and daily life on the fort that isn't already in Fort Apache? (Besides the Technicolor, of course.) Also, as you mention, those songs by the Sons of the Pioneers or whichever male singing group does it, very annoying; Ford does this a lot, also in The Horse Soldiers and in Rio Grande. I really like the military music in Fort Apache and you have none of the annoying songs by the Sons of the Pioneers.

I think it's only children and retards that prefer that a movie has no conflict or cynicism. Aren't you a big fan of film noir? And Leone?

Oh, I forgot - you just don't like cynicism/dishonorableness when it comes to the military. You want to imagine that every military member is honorable, and that there are no Col. Thursdays. I prefer to have a mix, which I think is probably more realistic and certainly more enjoyable to watch. I think the military has Owen Thursdays as well as Kirby Yorkes  Wink

But yeah, the BRD is beautiful  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:48:49 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 04:45:08 PM »

I think it's only children and retards that prefer that a movie has no conflict or cynicism. Aren't you a big fan of film noir? And Leone?
I'm a big fan of a lot of things. That's why when I go out to dinner, I don't always order a steak.

greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 06:52:20 AM »

I liked the fantastic scenery and muted smoky photography in this. What action scenes it has are good but I could have done with a bit more confrontation generally. Taking the role of an older character brings out the best in John Wayne. His best performance I reckon.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 07:20:10 AM »

His best performance I reckon.
Nah: True Grit. Anyway, his performances don't really differ. He just seems to be doing a better job when his characters are better written.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 07:58:52 AM »

Nah: True Grit. Anyway, his performances don't really differ. He just seems to be doing a better job when his characters are better written.

true dat

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 01:46:10 AM »

by the way, Beaver did eventually get around to reviewing the WB BRD. Here are screencaps comparing it to the Jap BRD
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_71/she_wore_a_yellow_ribbon_blu-ray.htm

for once in his life, Beaver made me laugh, writing that he is posting the screencap comparisons "without comment," so as not "to be accused of 'stating the obvious'."  Grin Yeah, the WB version is obviously a billion times better than the Jap  Afro

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM