Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 11:26:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Alive Or Preferably Dead(1969)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alive Or Preferably Dead(1969)  (Read 3297 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2007, 08:54:14 AM »

Hey i found this old review of mine  Grin kicking around on AC's thread:-

i finally caught up with this film the other day and i have to say i was disappointed especially as i hugely enjoyed one of Duccio Tessari's other comedy sw's Long Live Your Death.Giuliano Gemma and Nino Benvenuti are two brothers who don't get on but have been left $300,000 in inheritance on the condition that they can stay together for 6 months.Inexplicably despite this potential windfall,to keep themselves occupied it seems the brothers are  intent on turning to outlawry,robbing banks etc but at every twist and turn they are foiled by a bandit played by a very mean looking Chris Huerta(Weissers Sergio Leone in Cemetery Without Crosses  ). This movie added absolutely nothing to Tessari's cannon but it is still fairly watchable but tedious where some of the jokes fall flat.Still recommendable i guess for Gemma fans who is always very consistent with his performances whether in a comedy like this or in a more serious gritty western like Tessari's brilliant Pistol For Ringo.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 08:56:02 AM by Banjo » Logged
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 03:45:45 PM »

Shockingly, I still haven't watched this yet. I viewed a bit of the dupe I had then when I got the japanese box, I viewed about 10 minutes of it and something came up and I haven't come back to it yet. This memorial day weekend I think I'll find time for it.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 10:59:04 AM »

I had always stayed away from this, starting when it was released, though I had a curiosity of how Benvenuti would turn up as an actor. He's awful, actually, as to his expressions (much better his rival Monzon), but phisically he gives a special turn to the fistfights and other action moments with an energy I haven't seen elsewhere, contradicting the rather slow way he moved when he was on the ring. The movie it is much better of what I expected. Were it not for the stale Sydne Rome episodes I'd give it a 8\10: the story it has tempo, invention and even moments of unexpectedness (the collapsing of the floor making me laugh so much) , as every comedy should have. It is also a pleasure seeing Gemma doing his own stunts. The score by Ferrio is brilliant. 7\10 

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:21:10 PM »

I had always stayed away from this, starting when it was released, though I had a curiosity of how Benvenuti would turn up as an actor. He's awful, actually, as to his expressions (much better his rival Monzon), but phisically he gives a special turn to the fistfights and other action moments with an energy I haven't seen elsewhere, contradicting the rather slow way he moved when he was on the ring. The movie it is much better of what I expected. Were it not for the stale Sydne Rome episodes I'd give it a 8\10: the story it has tempo, invention and even moments of unexpectedness (the collapsing of the floor making me laugh so much) , as every comedy should have. It is also a pleasure seeing Gemma doing his own stunts. The score by Ferrio is brilliant. 7\10 

I think Alive or preferably dead is a somewhat lesser movie than A Train for Durango, but it gave me a few laughs; so I'll give it a 6/10 anyway (perhaps the 5.5/10 rating I gave to A Train for Durango was a bit on the low side).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM