Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2019, 10:00:38 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Jim Jarmusch
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3]
: Jim Jarmusch  ( 9477 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #30 : November 28, 2009, 02:57:26 PM »

I don't disagree with what you said about the scene with Bill Murray, which I felt was the weakest part of the film. I choose to pretend that scene is not in the picture, and since the plot is inconsequential anyway, it is an illusion I can easily sustain. I look forward to re-watching the film now that it's out on DVD. I've long wanted to go to Spain.

A "4" seems a bit harsh, especially in light of my more gracious score. What say we split the difference? Can I sell you on a "5.5"?

Thanks for the Spanish translation. The possible connection with a 50s Mexican movie intrigues me, although I'm almost certain it's a red herring.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #31 : November 28, 2009, 05:28:26 PM »

I maybe could give it a 5, depending on the mood I'm in that day, that much I did enjoy it. But the rating is bogus anyhow; as much of Jarmusch's movies - it was not made to be rated after a watch. It's the kind of experimental stuff you watch and evaluate for yourself alone. Ehm, as art in general, right? Whether what you understood was really what the artist wanted to say, or he was just bullshitting (for whatever reason), is a whole different story.

Here the strong point is obvious - each image is very passionately well balanced and imbued with the essence of the place (Southern Spain), that carries the picture. For some, well. There is no story whatsoever. That's also true. Many won't like it at all because of that. Me? Perhaps I shouldn't either, but after I sit through 100 hours of 'new' and 'cool' movies each year, I'll drink this kind of lethargic Jarmusch as a apple-cinnamon tea anytime. I still won't rate it high, cause as I always say, we're all snobs deep down, but I'll at least acknowledge it.

I forgot to comment that the episodic and absurdist (again, pointless or preposterous to some) nature of the Lone Man's meetings didn't bother me at all, as a matter of fact I enjoyed them although they were on the brink of getting pompously silly in more than one occasion. But I just -could- -not- swallow the episode with the dancers. It was frickin' disgusting, whoring the art for the sake of showing it around. He nearly undermined the whole picture with that one, it was nearly irredeemable.

« : November 28, 2009, 07:09:29 PM Dust Devil »

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #32 : November 28, 2009, 10:06:46 PM »

But I just -could- -not- swallow the episode with the dancers. It was frickin' disgusting, whoring the art for the sake of showing it around. He nearly undermined the whole picture with that one, it was nearly irredeemable.
Remind me.

« : November 29, 2009, 09:15:12 AM dave jenkins »

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #33 : November 29, 2009, 08:18:54 AM »

He enters a small bar of some sort, and (with few other people) watches a flamenco dancer.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #34 : November 29, 2009, 09:17:38 AM »

Huh. I don't remember it at all. Made no impression whatsoever, I guess.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #35 : November 29, 2009, 11:32:24 AM »

Maybe it was a deleted scene. For a reason obviously.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #36 : December 07, 2009, 02:15:22 PM »

4.5/10
No plot. So so photography. Bad editing. So so dialogues. Some good acting. Some. No emotion. Humour doesn't work. Still an "interesting" movie. If you forget the 2 mobile phones, the exact same movie, shot by shot, could have been done any year between 1975 and now.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #37 : January 29, 2010, 09:46:19 PM »

Broken Flowers (2005) - 7.2/10

It makes you wonder why wasn't the ending more processed, but then again all the similar type stories have already been told many times, so maybe it's for the better. And it fits with the character of Don Johnston, who is supposed to be a quiet numb dick.

After my second watch I raise my first rating by 0.5, thus making it a 7.7/10.

This time, having left all my anticipations behind, I thoroughly enjoyed the minimalistic storytelling, and the richness of psychological substance emanating from all-around excellent performances. It just might be Jarmusch's conventionally best movie.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #38 : January 30, 2010, 06:28:21 AM »

What means "conventionally best movie"?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #39 : January 30, 2010, 10:31:20 AM »

What means "conventionally best movie"?

?

Best movie in a conventional sense.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #40 : January 31, 2010, 02:51:22 AM »

?

Best movie in a conventional sense.
Meaning exactly what?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #41 : February 02, 2010, 08:25:51 AM »

Meaning exactly what?

It means that, I think... we're not in Kansas anymore!

: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines