Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 08:42:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Road to Fort Alamo (La strada per Fort Alamo)(1964)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Road to Fort Alamo (La strada per Fort Alamo)(1964)  (Read 4091 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2008, 04:44:23 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058618/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/vari-west25.htm

I'm not a Bava fan, not even of his horrors. This movie doesn't do much to make me change my mind. The start (Clark arriving in a small town and entering a saloon where a poker game is in progress) was promising (though I have the suspicion that the italian vhs release I watched had some minutes missing). Ken Clark (my favourite 60's spy after Connery) is an outlaw who organizes a heist in a bank helped by a gang led by Lemoine, passing themselves as blue soldiers. Clark is then betryed by Lemoine who leaves him prey to the Indians but he and his pard are saved by soldiers. He keeps his fake military identity and will rescue the assailed troops from the besieging Indians.
This movie is almost completely unoriginal and when it's not it falls into the ridiculous (the money the Indians tie to wood tablets to let the soldier come into the open to grab it and kill them: and still I seem to remember this ruse in a bw american movie). Forget the score. 3\10

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 07:04:04 PM »

I have the recent dvd release of this and it, too, is short at 76 minutes. I think that may be the original length, though.

Not even a fan of his horror films? Wow. Bava influenced so many American filmmakers. He could do wonders with little money. Granted, I don't like all his pictures, but they sure are beautiful to look at.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 10:17:05 PM »

The italian vhs release (almost 10 years old) is 65'. Roll Eyes

I prefer english horrors and Roger Corman's.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 10:21:32 PM »

I prefer english horrors and Roger Corman's.

Oh. Which Corman horrors? the Poe films I take it or his great gore and nudity filled horrors?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 10:24:54 PM »

Wow, that's short. Maybe that was the original length of the Italian version? This dvd is the Koch disc from Germany. It's subbed in English.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 04:04:05 PM »

Oh. Which Corman horrors? the Poe films I take it or his great gore and nudity filled horrors?

The Poe ones. BTW the first movie I remembered having seen at a cinema was Pit and the Pendulum, which gave me thrills no end.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 04:09:14 PM »

The Poe ones. BTW the first movie I remembered having seen at a cinema was Pit and the Pendulum, which gave me thrills no end.

Ah, yes. That one is classic and there's a Bava connection here in the participation of Barbara Steele. My favorite of the Corman Poe's is THE RAVEN. Saw it dozens of times as a kid on the Late Show. All of those are available on DVD here in the States from MGM's 'Midnite Movies' line

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 10:50:06 PM »

I didn't think this was great, but it was definitely watchable. Bava's use of meticulous photographic techniques is in evidence here. Lots of color and nice use of studio sets. Bava had the ability to make something out of nothing. It was great to see big, bad ass American tough guy Ken Clark play a hero having just come off two great lead villain roles in HERCULES AGAINST THE MONGOLS (1963) and its prequel/follow up HERCULES AGAINST THE BARBARIANS (1964; both are really Maciste movies in their original versions).

About the only truly bad thing i can say about this one is the music score. It's terrible. The movie is an enjoyable time waster and a must see curiosity piece for Bava fans. Good story, too. Lots of cliffhanger moments.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM