Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 10:36:51 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Ghost Galleon aka El Buque maldito (1974)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Ghost Galleon aka El Buque maldito (1974)  (Read 3015 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2008, 01:17:57 AM »

Boring as shit second sequel of the Blind Dead series.
Two models get stranded in the ocean during some bizarre publicity stunt and come upon a seemingly uninhabitated galleon. It isn't long before the Blind Dead make an appearence on the vessel and take the girls out.
A search party look for the girls but find the Galleon instead.

Sounds like a decent time waster and it could have been, if it wasn't as slow as molasses.
No gore, no nudity, no horses.
Is this a Blind Dead movie?

I appreciate the change of pace but give us something more than just a creepy ship as a new addition.
With that said there are some good points.
The Blind Dead are as creepy as ever and the ship set is professionally lit (I sense that this had more studio backing than the others?).

3/10

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:48:35 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 01:48:03 PM »

Review that sums up what I feel about the movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygpNfQ7SBFs

Note: the alternate title to this is HORROR OF THE ZOMBIES

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 10:51:11 PM »

This was also called SHIP OF THE ZOMBIES and a couple other aka's if I'm not mistaken. I first caught it on the old VidAmerica label before later buying an original big box VHS from the Super Video label which also released my fave Paul Naschy movie, NIGHT OF THE HOWLING BEAST (Damn, I wish I still had some of those tapes!)

I agree pretty much with everything but there is gore. There is a brief scene wherein the Templars cut off a head and munch on an arm. This is the only installment where the Templars are shown to eat flesh. the other movies they just drink blood and hack their victims to pieces with swords. Ossorio intentionally wanted his series to be different from previous entries. Before he died, he wanted to do another movie about the Templars and wished to revisit the templars under the water scenario. He was also displeased with the third entry but the budget was simply not there.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 11:00:37 PM »

I agree pretty much with everything but there is gore. There is a brief scene wherein the Templars cut off a head and munch on an arm. This is the only installment where the Templars are shown to eat flesh.

I forgot. Sorry.

Before he died, he wanted to do another movie about the Templars and wished to revisit the templars under the water scenario.

That idea has promise.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 11:06:40 PM »

I forgot. Sorry.

That idea has promise.

Well you did say it bored you so you probably fell asleep during that moment. It was very brief anyways amounting to only a few seconds. The decor for the ship was ace, IMO. As I mentioned in my review/overview of the first film, I would go so far as to say that Carpenter had seen these movies when he made THE FOG (1979). Most especially the second and third movies. The 100 year centennial of the deaths of the Templars followed by their return mirrors the plot of the Carpenter movie and the ghostly ship inside a transient fog also is the same as the one seen in Carpenter's movie.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 11:09:49 PM »

The decor for the ship was ace, IMO. As I mentioned in my review/overview of the first film, I would go so far as to say that Carpenter had seen these movies when he made THE FOG (1979). Most especially the second and third movies. The 100 year centennial of the deaths of the Templars followed by their return mirrors the plot of the Carpenter movie and the ghostly ship inside a transient fog also is the same as the one seen in Carpenter's movie.

I made the connection with Carpenters movie as well.

And I agree that the set was awesome. Afro

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »

I made the connection with Carpenters movie as well.

And I agree that the set was awesome. Afro

Incidentally, the VidAmerica label this film was released on was subbed, 'World's Worst Videos!'. I would hardly call the film one of the worst, but one of the most monetarily deficient and hilariously dubbed in English foreign films I've seen. They also released HOUSE OF PSYCHOTIC WOMEN starring Paul Naschy aka BLUE EYES OF THE BROKEN DOLL.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM