Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 10:45:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  PIERROT LE FOU
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PIERROT LE FOU  (Read 6382 times)
COLONNA
Bandido

I'm his son

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2004, 03:04:49 AM »

I saw this film last night for the first time ( nobody's perfect).

Great !

I appreciate the scene where Belmondo driving his car launched it directly in the sea with his passenger.

Was Noodles a fan of jean-luc Godard ? Wink

Time is on my side...
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 01:59:38 PM »

I don't like Godard very much.

If we talk about Jean Paul Belmondo's movies, I prefer those directed by Henri Verneuil, like "Le Casse" (1971), or "Peur sur la ville" (1975).

He also directed movies like "The Sicilian Clan" (1969) with Alain Delon, or "I comme Icare" (1979) with Yves Montand.

The 4 movies have music by.... Ennio Morricone.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 02:14:07 PM »

Have you seen the The Sicilian Clan, shorty larsen?
I have the soundtrack which kinda fueled the curiosity

Would you recommend it?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 02:15:29 PM by The Smoker » Logged

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 02:19:01 PM »

Yeah, I would recommend it, only to say "I've seen it".

No great movie, but if you hace 90 minutes to loose it could be a good choice.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 06:28:25 PM »

Agree with Shorty, Sicilian Clan worth a look.  I saw it way back, when first released.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 01:50:22 PM »

The movie has to be seen, no doubt about it.

klaatu
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 07:56:28 PM »

Hey Shorty My favorite Belmondo-Delon movie is Bolsalino. You have any opinion on that?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 07:57:11 PM by klaatu » Logged
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 12:58:55 PM »

Yeah, a classic movie here in France.

Again, has to be seen.

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 03:53:50 AM »

I saw Pierrot le fou 2 days ago, I dislike; and for Bolsalino, it's not a classic in France (I am french) or it's not the original title...And I dislike Godard!!!!!!!!!

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2004, 04:56:24 AM »

interressing movie (pierrot le fou). I saw it last night. I can't say that i loved (it is very difficult to "enter the movie", but also difficult to go out). Whereas Le Clan des SICILIENS is a bad movie. i think that Verneuil has only be a good film maker with i comme Icar.

Shorty, it is strange to see that you dislike every french film maker... you can't say "i hate godard", isn't it? just see the first scenes of "le mépris". You can't say "i hate Truffaut". just see Le dernier Métro...
What is your matter with french directors?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2004, 08:15:10 AM »

Hahahaha!!!! Yeah, interesting question.

I'm half french and I'm very french in many ways.

But what I hate about french people, about french intelectuals (and french filmakers are intelectuals) is that they are so convinced of their so called superiority.

To me, and this is a point that has already been discussed in the board, cinema must be, first of all, an art form. Light and sound. First of all. Of course the is a hierarchy in this, the better the treatement of the light and the sound is, the better the movie. And then, and only then, comes the story, the script.

French filmakers had forgotten this, and they think that cinema is not an art form, but an intelectual one. To the french filmakers, in general (not all of them), the story, the script matters most of the treatement of light and sound. By far. What is important for the frenchfilmakers is a good story, a complicated, psichological and "metaphysical" one. Between us, an intelectual one. And with this, they forget what matters the most, to me: light, sound, and the way to tell a story.

Another thing: there is no great french actor or actress. It doesn't exists. And I'm not talking about "good" actors, I'm talking about "sacred monsters" of cinema. France has no De Niro, Brando, Pacino, Olivier, Mastroianni or Gassmann at all......

French actors or actresses have no sensibility at all. Because french cinema is not sensitive, but intelectual.

Who are the great cotemporary actors in France? Depardieu? That's all? Isabelle Huppert? The most unexpressive actress ever?

And in the past? Jean Gabin? Please....

Is there by any chance just one french movie like "Cinema Paradiso"?

Is there by any chance just one french movie score composer like Morricone?

The french moviemaker I like is Claude Lelouch, because he understood that light and sound were, at least, as important as the script.

And yeah, there is a french actor that I like, very much: Daniel Auteuil.

But to me, the movie Vidocq by french moviemaker Pitof is better, in terms of what I like the most in a movie, than any movie by Godard or Truffaut.

In the same way, a GREAT french moviemaker (I was about to forget him) is Jean Pierre Jeunet.

But this is my opinion, and it has already been discussed in the Board.

I like a visual cinema, and not and intelectual one.

And I think french cinema is, in general, and intelectual one.

If you are french and you remember those sketches by Les Inconnus, when they make fun of the french cinema, you have to undertand me!!!!

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 10:14:52 AM »

well... you're very strange, shorty Smiley
I'm french, but i don't know this sketch... i'll look for it, because i like les inconnus very much.
That's true that this feeling of superiority is awfull, and isn't justified today. That comes from the french new wave...
I don't love any Truffaut or Godard, i just like a few of their movies very much; and a few sequences. For instance, the end of Pierrot le Fou, the begining of Les 400 coups (even if this is not the best movie of the "antoine douanel movies" of Truffaut)...

I think i understand your point of view (but i don't share it). So, it is strange to see as you dislike Godard: his last movies are ONLY formal...

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2004, 10:37:45 AM »

i go on here:
There is no director more formal than godard...

And you should see again "Un aire de Famille", Larsen. I know you've seen it and you didn't like. But just try to see how the director is good in it: it is "sobre" (i don't have the english translation), but very very worked! klapish did a great job with the camera FOR the story (and not the opposite). A script is never enough to do a movie, but every great movie has a great script (or at least a very good one).

In the other and, exept jeunet, Jaoui and Klapish, there is no important director in France today: the major part have no talent with camera, lights look like lights for TV movies, can't chose any real actor, and scripts are AWFULL!!!!!!

last point: i had heard of Cinema Paradisio as a great great great movie; i have always loved (of course) morricone's score, and when i saw some extracts of the movie at Montreal festival of movies, two years ago, i dicebut... what a desappointment! THIS is what you like? Sad no actors, no lights, only a few ideas in the script, very cinematographic ideas (like the scene in the theatre when the hero looks all the kisses which had been cut down by the preacher).

Well, that's all this time.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2004, 11:53:07 AM »

Well,I've only seen one Godard movie,Breathless,which was OK I suppose but extremely overrated IMO considering it is considered to be so important,it certainly did not make me want to see anymore!I have seen more of Truffaut's movies which I do enjoy,especially Jules and Jim,Bride Wore Black,Fahrenhiet 451[a very underrated movie IMO]and Shoot The Piano Player.But I think his films became less interesting and more 'literary'.

How about Luc Besson,although maybe he is considered a Hollywood dirctor now.Leon is one of my fav. films ever,and Big Blue,La Femme Nikita,Last Combat,all good,Fifth Element,great Hollywood blockbuster-type film with a French element to it.

I agree that except for Jeunet,Besson and Carax[I love Amants de Point-Neuf]French films do tend to be uninteresting visually.

And Cinema Paradiso is absolutely beautiful,esp. Director's Cut!

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 01:09:07 PM »

No, to me Cinema Paradiso is not a great movie, but it is may be the more sensitive one, of the history.

And what I wanted to say is that french cinema an french actors are not (in general, please, dont think that I'm talking about ALL french movies and ALL french actors) sensitive at all, at all.

That's what I said that in France there is not one single movie as sensitive as Cinema Paradiso (or some other great italian movies like Il Postino or Mediterraneo) and not one single composer as sensitive as Morricone.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM