Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 04:06:20 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The restoration (article)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The restoration (article)  (Read 5962 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 03:00:07 PM »

The point is that it is not essential to the plot. What i can't understand is why united artists removed the scene with angel eyes at the confederate fort but kept in the gunsmith scene. The former is essential to the plot

They probably though it was a bit redundant with the Father Ramirez mission wounded sequence would be my guess.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »

They probably though it was a bit redundant with the Father Ramirez mission wounded sequence would be my guess.

well the confederate fort scene is even more important than the Mission San Antonio scene, which tells you about Tuco's character and family background but plot-wise has no bearing on anything that happens once they leave the Mission. All they had to do was show them entering and exiting the Mission, maybe a minute inside to let you know Blondie is recuperating, and that's it.

I'm not saying the Mission San Antonio scene isn't important. I prefer that nothing was cut. But between the mission scene and the confederate fort scene, the latter is more important to the plot. otherwise, we see angel eyes as some dude looking for gold, and suddenly, miraculously, he shows up as captain of the very prison camp where the other 2 people who are looking for the very same gold are. that would be quite a coincidence

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »

I think the confederate fort scene is also important because it shows Angel Eyes as someone with a bit of humanity.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 03:10:28 AM »

The gunsmith scene is one of the best scenes of the film. One of those which makes the film work.

Cutting this scene out means cutting the heart of the film out. (Well the Brits cut it out ...)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:14:43 AM by stanton » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 03:22:55 AM »

The gunsmith scene is one of the best scenes of the film. One of those which makes the film work.

Cutting this scene out means cutting the heart of the film out. (Well the Brits cut it out ...)

The Brits cut out a lot of shit. their version was 148 minutes, so that means it was missing an extra 13 minutes on top of the American cuts...

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »

What other scenes were cut out of the UK version?

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM