Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 09:08:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bad Girls (1994)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bad Girls (1994)  (Read 3918 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2008, 06:30:26 PM »

I didn't expect as much from this, so I was surprised to watch a movie that keeps you interested from beginning to end, expecially when the girls extricate themselves from difficult situations thanx to their graces and not to their ability with guns. Both at IMDB and at Amazon most of people are even more entusiastic than me. What didn't persuade me was the fact that the girls do not look for a single moment saloon whores, not even when they are there in the beginning. They rather seem to be thinking all the time about their looks and how to keep them at their best among escapes, shootings and what else. And as they are naturally attractive (even the uglier of the four, MacDowell, whom is the only one I knew thanx to her commercials) the mistake is even more apparent. while they could have been more attractive and credible with a rawer image. Which creates the strange result of exalting the performances of all the male actors, for once not your Hollywood handsomes.     

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 02:04:57 AM »

Average western with a weak script, which was finally killed by the uninspired directing.

Even the actresses, who gave their best, can't save this disappointment.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 09:39:33 AM »

I've only seen a couple minutes of BG on TV when I was growing up, so I have nothing to comment about the actual movie, but I  do have to say that Andie McDowell is quite a looker. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think she's easily the prettiest of the four leads.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 07:49:50 PM »

I've only seen a couple minutes of BG on TV when I was growing up, so I have nothing to comment about the actual movie, but I  do have to say that Andie McDowell is quite a looker. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think she's easily the prettiest of the four leads.

I'd have to watch it again because I thought that Barrymore was the best looking of the bunch (which is odd for me because I have never found her attractive in any other movie).

If I remember correctly, this is a pretty average affair. Has the feel of a tv western. Low budget, clean costumes.
There is a Peckinpah inspired finale with slow motion deaths but without the inter-cutting... which marked Peckinpah's style.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 12:36:16 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 02:21:02 AM »

Yeah, the action doesn't work, which never was a good idea for an action film.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 06:06:07 AM »

As to looks my preferences are: Stowe, Masterson, Berrymore , MACD. As to sexyness MACD comes first. THen Berrymore, Stowe and Masterson.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 06:33:53 AM »

Madeleine Stowe is gorgeous.

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 06:03:19 PM »

I'd have to watch it again because I thought that Barrymore was the best looking of the best (which is odd for me because I have never found her attractive in any other movie).

If I remember correctly, this is a pretty average affair. Has the feel of a tv western. Low budget, clean costumes.
There is a Peckinpah inspired finale with slow motion deaths but without the inter-cutting... which marked Peckinpah's style.

I'm sure Short Cuts and Groundhog Day are the reasons for my AM crush.

Was the slow-mo sans the cross cutting 300 esque? I really hated that movie, so I'm curious as how it compares.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 12:39:28 AM »

Was the slow-mo sans the cross cutting 300 esque?

I don't believe so.

The slow-mo was used for a Peckinpah-ish effect but the filmmakers clearly didn't learn from Peckinpah's teachings that slow motion isn't enough. You need the cross cutting effect to really hit home with the visuals.

I disliked 300 as well. I bought into the hype and saw it at the theatre.
Entertaining enough movie but I (and everybody else) had no business spending 10 dollars on it.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Spikeopath
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 09:02:46 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109198/reference  Angry

Gunslingerettes line up for the atrocity exhibition.

Bad Girls is directed by Jonathan Kaplan from a screenplay by Ken Friedman and Yolande Turner. It stars Madeleine Stowe, Mary Stuart Masterson, Andie MacDowell and Drew Barrymore. The plot sees the four girl actors playing prostitutes on the run following a justifiable homicide and a hanging escape. Suffice to say that they get into scrapes & double crosses whilst being pursued by the Pinkerton's.

Being asked to suspend disbelief is one thing, being force fed drivel masquerading as pro-feminism is entirely another. Bad Girls is a mess of a movie, an insult to the Western genre, the fans of the lady actors, to the lady actors themselves; who simply deserve much much better and arguably worst of all; to women in general. The script is laughable, serving only as an excuse for the gals to sling those guns and hips when possible, and be abused and saved by "men", while the plotting is by the numbers as everything falls into place readily. There's even slow-mo shots where they serve no purpose of enhancement. Throw into the mix that three of ladies look
nothing like on the run outlaws, all shine and span and make up with nice hair (Masterson the exception as she has a modicum of believability about her), well it's rather a depressing experience all told. Sure, as a red blooded guy I'm not going to be turned off by Barrymore's shapely thighs adorned in white stockings, or Stowe's truly gorgeous face, but when the highlights of a "girl" Western is something that's only aesthetically sexy for men, then they clearly have got it wrong.

So what's the justification for it being so bad? Well the back story offers up the answer. Film was meant to be directed by a woman, Tamra Davis (erm-Billy Madison & Crossroads), but she was jettisoned a couple of weeks into production. The plan with Davis at the helm was for it to be a Western told from a female point of view. However, Kaplan (The Accused/Unlawful Entry) was brought in quickly and the screenplay rewritten in a hurry. And boy does it show. Technically it's a duffer too, Jerry Goldsmith's score is cheap in texture and Jane Kurson's editing is choppy to say the least. There's no eye catching cinematography (Ralf D. Bode), while the acting away from the script hindered girls (ie: the men), is either a waste of time them being in it (Nick Chinlund) or badly directed (James Russo). While Dermot Mulroney seems only to exist as being a link to Young Guns; the "boy" version that this is clearly trying to ride the coat tails in on. If you want a good Western about the girls fighting the good fight then seek out George Marshall's 1957 film The Guns Of Fort Petticoat. It's a fun movie that at least has believable women fighting back under duress. Bad Girls, tho, is just bad in every department. 2/10

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM