Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 01:20:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Jonah Hex (2010)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jonah Hex (2010)  (Read 10800 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 03:14:45 PM »

yea it does  Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 05:45:55 PM »

WTH was that, a dynamite-crossbow?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 12:28:49 PM »

Jonah Hex - 4/10. A disfigured bounty hunter with preternatural skills (he can converse with dead people) wanders into what amounts to an episode of The Wild Wild West. There's not an ounce of originality in this, but at times it shows a certain flair. The Neveldine/Taylor script keeps things moving along, but at 81 minutes you might question whether you're getting enough for your $11.25. I don't really know the comic book, but I'm guessing this adaptation has not served its source material all that well. Anyway, at no time during the movie did I get the feeling that a franchise was being launched.

Roll Eyes

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 01:25:34 PM »

FC, did you check this in the meantime or not? It is getting a shameful (probably deserved too) 4.6/10 on IMDb. I saw a DVD of some sort somewhere, did not have the courage to actually get it, though. I'm still tempted, read e few comics again since when the move was announced.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 12:47:07 AM »

FC, did you check this in the meantime or not? It is getting a shameful (probably deserved too) 4.6/10 on IMDb. I saw a DVD of some sort somewhere, did not have the courage to actually get it, though. I'm still tempted, read e few comics again since when the move was announced.

It isn't the worst of the year (the repugnant Nightmare On Elm Street remake comes to mind) but it isn't good and it is a great disservice to the source material.
A shame really, the Neveldine and Taylor sript was a good one (minus the fact that it loses its way in the climax).
The only remaining scenes from that screenplay are an early gunfight and the circus tent scene but each of those sections have been watered down to nothing.
The gory violence and the delightfully raunchy dialogue exchanges are gone from them, as is any sense of threat to Hex.

Josh Brolin is okay in it.

Megan Fox is actually pretty decent in her initial scene but she falls into familiar territory (void of feelings) straight afterwards and was completely unnecessary.

Surprisingly one of the few things that worked was the addition of Hex being able to talk to the dead.
I was prepared to hate the gimmick but it won me over.

My advice? skip it and get the new comic that coincided with the film's release.
JONAH HEX: NO WAY BACK is what the movie should have been like.

In it, Jonah goes searching for his mother who he learns has a bounty on her head and eventually faces El Papagayo for the very last time.
Dark, violent, girtty and at times touching.

In the mean time... here is a two part Jonah Hex animated short.
I don't like the way they animated Jonah's face (looks too pretty) but like JONAH HEX: NO WAY BACK is an excellent piece of work that respects the franchise.

PART 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qQHjlItfDU

PART 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5FYn9hfvIU

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 07:44:20 AM »

It isn't the worst of the year (the repugnant Nightmare On Elm Street remake comes to mind) but it isn't good and it is a great disservice to the source material.
A shame really, the Neveldine and Taylor sript was a good one (minus the fact that it loses its way in the climax).
The only remaining scenes from that screenplay are an early gunfight and the circus tent scene but each of those sections have been watered down to nothing.
The gory violence and the delightfully raunchy dialogue exchanges are gone from them, as is any sense of threat to Hex.

Josh Brolin is okay in it.

Megan Fox is actually pretty decent in her initial scene but she falls into familiar territory (void of feelings) straight afterwards and was completely unnecessary.

Surprisingly one of the few things that worked was the addition of Hex being able to talk to the dead.
I was prepared to hate the gimmick but it won me over.

My advice? skip it and get the new comic that coincided with the film's release.
JONAH HEX: NO WAY BACK is what the movie should have been like.

In it, Jonah goes searching for his mother who he learns has a bounty on her head and eventually faces El Papagayo for the very last time.
Dark, violent, girtty and at times touching.

In the mean time... here is a two part Jonah Hex animated short.
I don't like the way they animated Jonah's face (looks too pretty) but like JONAH HEX: NO WAY BACK is an excellent piece of work that respects the franchise.

PART 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qQHjlItfDU

PART 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5FYn9hfvIU

Thanks very much for the comprehensive overview. Afro I'll wait for a DVD to wonder my wait, in order not to pay for it, as usual.

Megan Fox is in it, as I suspect, for the same reason romances were often intruded into classic Ws back in the days: to get a few extra bucks on the side, but at least back in the days they used to do it with some suavity. Not too much, but at least some.

Now Josh Brolin I always fancied, for some subconscious reason, and in this he looks good with the make-up on, from what I have seen, but I really wouldn't have minded someone more on the lean-n-mean note. Really tall and really boney, vulture-like

I didn't even know about those new comics! Drawn by Tony DeZuniga himself?! I'll definitely check them out the first chance I get. I've read some of the first numbers of the ongoing series, Jordi Bernet drew some: simple but entertaining stories, without false pretenses. At this point I couldn't compare them with the original series, it's been like 2 years since I read them.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:46:00 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 09:24:44 AM »

I'm glad someone (besides DJ) has seen it. That means I don't have to. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 01:21:22 PM »

I know Jenkins is the one here that watches (and more often than not enjoys) crappy new movies, so we don't have to, but a sense of individuality really wouldn't hurt you, Groggy. You need to get out of the Matrix.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 03:07:10 PM »

Has Jenkins seen Leprechaun in the Hood three times?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2010, 06:13:27 AM »

I know Jenkins is the one here that watches (and more often than not enjoys) crappy new movies, so we don't have to, but a sense of individuality really wouldn't hurt you, Groggy. You need to get out of the Matrix.
LOL.

Well, not all the new movies are crappy, I get lucky sometimes.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »

I plan to see 127 Hours this weekend. I don't think Jinkies has reviewed that one yet.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2010, 01:10:57 AM »

^
I urge you to watch this Dust Devil

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2010, 02:12:19 PM »

^
I urge you to watch this Dust Devil

Sorry, I overlooked it. I'll watch it tomorrow, can't find a free minute now.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2010, 04:29:26 PM »

I skimmed through those vids and it's look fantastic. I'll definitely watch it because of the stunning visuals - it's a shame that lollywood has abandoned the use of color altogether.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2010, 06:12:16 PM »

I skimmed through those vids and it's look fantastic. I'll definitely watch it because of the stunning visuals - it's a shame that lollywood has abandoned the use of color altogether.

Let us know what you think.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM