Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 01:36:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Three Godfathers (1936)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Three Godfathers (1936)  (Read 1661 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2008, 03:50:39 AM »

I just caught a small segment of this on TCM the other day, I happened to be flipping the channels and came upon it at the scene where the three  outlaws are deciding what to do with the baby. This version directed by Richard Boleslawski is very different and dark compared to the Ford version. At the point I stumbled upon it the Pedro character was already dead so there were 4 outlaws who robbed the New Jersusalem bank, and three that find the baby. In Ford's version it was a different town that got robbed and John Wayne ended up in New Jerusalem.

The three are Chester Morris as...  Robert 'Bob' Sangster,  Lewis Stone as...  James 'Doc' Underwood  Walter Brennan as...  Sam 'Gus' Barton . The Chester Morris character is all for leaving the baby, he even drinks some of the milk they find.

This I'd like to see again all the way through Brennan was great as was Lewis Stone. Just reading a few of the comments it doesn't have the Death Valley vistas of the Ford version, and its more violent, they kill a banker during the robbery. Its a bit less of the meller that Ford made out of it.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 08:51:10 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 02:02:25 PM »

I'd like to see this myself. Thanks for the tip, Joe. Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM