Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 03:20:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Buchanan Rides Alone (1958)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buchanan Rides Alone (1958)  (Read 3619 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2009, 06:35:07 AM »

Watched this last night out of the Boetticher set it was entertaining and I pretty much agree with dj from the Boetticher Box set thread below"

"Buchanan is a lot of fun, with LQ Jones showing up as "Pecos" to throw in some great "West Texas" humor. There is a hilariously funny burial scene where Pecos officiates over a fallen comrade, who he has in fact killed, where the words spoken over the body are addressed to the dead man and are nothing more than a folksy justification for having done the guy in. There's also lots of small town intrigue, somewhat on the order of AFOD. In fact, this film can almost be seen as a proto-SW."

I'll add that the setting for most of the film's town set is Old Tucson AZ and the location landscapes look like the Saguaro National Park or someplace very near it. 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 02:23:29 PM »

I saw this on tv in the '80's and agree by and large with Jenkins opinions. But I'll add that the movie fares very well (a 9\10) until the shack scene. Then it becomes unbearably moronic and unimaginative: can one accept that the sheriff's henchmen are tied so to allow them to free themselves in a whiff and left with gun and horses?  And why people care so much about the hanging of a man who got them rid of a nuisance not even loved by his own father? And what about that coming and going from prison? And the final scene on the bridge? Is it in any way believable? The characters of the rival brothers could have left much room to a comedic development of their confrontations, but comedy we see only in the scene quoted by Jenkins. 6\10 

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:17:20 AM »

I really dug this one, but agree with Titoli about the shack scene. It lacked all logic. I don't see any other major flaws though. I don't think the last 15 mins. were that outlandish - those Agry brothers were a scummy bunch.

The art design and cinematography were wonderful. The pacing was great, just like every Boetticher western I've seen. The  score was run of the mill  but this was a nicely constructed little movie. I wish Boetticher didn't retire/wasn't forced out or whatever the hell happened to him. He was a major talent.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 06:20:40 AM »

I wish Boetticher didn't retire/wasn't forced out or whatever the hell happened to him. He was a major talent.

He didn't, lol, I was looking at my Netflix queue and adding stuff and saw that they now had the old Maverick TV show episodes on demand so I tried out the first one and notice Karen Steel playing the lead female. Well got to the end credits and lo and behold Bud Boetticher was the director of the first episode of Maverick.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 03:37:34 PM »

He didn't, lol, I was looking at my Netflix queue and adding stuff and saw that they now had the old Maverick TV show episodes on demand so I tried out the first one and notice Karen Steel playing the lead female. Well got to the end credits and lo and behold Bud Boetticher was the director of the first episode of Maverick.

Very interesting. I wonder what else he did?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 02:08:00 AM »

I REALLY liked this one. Out of the ranown westerns I thought this was the most entertaining. The film kept a quick pace all the way up to the explosive climax which is rather violent for a 50's western flick.

Props also go out to the Abe Carbo character who just oozed badass without doing much. Definitely wish there was more attention given to his character.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 01:56:48 AM »

I pretty much agree with all stated by you guys above.

6/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 01:57:38 AM »

Props also go out to the Abe Carbo character who just oozed badass without doing much. Definitely wish there was more attention given to his character.

Afro

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 02:54:10 AM »

Yesterday I forgot to mention how much Tol Avery (Simon Agry) resembled Peter Ustinov.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 05:50:59 AM »

Just saw Buchanan Rides Alone' I've now seen all the Ranown Cycle Westerns, and this is easily the worst. 3/10. The only decent parts were the "burial" scene dj described above; and I thought that the end with the saddlebag on the bridge was interesting. Not that there was ever a doubt as to who would get it, but it's still an interesting thought: a standoff over a shitload of money; would you risk your life for $50,000?

I thought this was a script with potential if done properly, but Boetticher did a terrible directing job. I hate movies where a whole bunch of serious stuff happens real quick, casually, with no real drama/tension/believability. It's like within a few minutes, a smiley Scott rides into town, is in a fight where someone is killed, is strung up and ordered down, etc., and not for a moment do you actually feel any tension. The mood is way too light for this sort of material. And Scott pretty much never stops smiling. I know Boetticher's films are usually pretty fast-paced, but this is one in which that wasn't appropriate. There's just a disconnect between what's supposedly happening, and the way it's being carried out. Very poor directing.

Now that I've seen 'em all, I can say that of the 7 Boetticher/Scott Westerns there are four good ones (Ride Lonesome, The Tall T
Seven Men from Now, Comanche Station all written by Burt Kennedy) and three bad ones (Westbound
Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone none written by Burt Kennedy)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 05:23:44 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM