Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 06:31:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Custer of the West (1968)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Custer of the West (1968)  (Read 5963 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2009, 12:17:45 PM »

Most people at IMDB criticize this movie for dragging, for being historically inaccurate, for some performances. I find nothing wrong with this: it is entertaining and never boring. It only lacks some memorable sequence  to attain greatness. Shot in Almeria. 8\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 01:54:04 PM »

Is this the one with Robert Shaw?

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 04:26:33 PM »

Yea I Think so Groggy, this is one Almeria shot Western that I found the landscapes too distracting,  I've been to Little Big Horn and Almeria looks NOTHING like the landscape about The Little Big Horn, which where having personal first hand knowledge destroys the escapism, for me anyway. The Little Bighorn looks more like this below:

Here in the US we've had too many films and documentaries on the subject of Custer and the battle that the Almerian landscapes just are glaringly wrong. They are more similar to the Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, & Mexico, and the lands of Apache, Navajo, and Comanches.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:46:38 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 07:44:47 PM »

Yes, this is the one with Shaw and it's a highly enjoyable movie, IMO.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 09:09:20 PM »

Good movie indeed, but I don't belive it was entirely shot in Almeria, or even in other parts of Spain like Madrid and Toledo. The trees depicted during the loggind senes and the log flume cannot be found anywhere in Spain to the best of my knowledge. And not, they are not fakes like the trestle.

The musical score is good, and I find it unfortunate that the DVD does not include the overture and the intermission from the original presentation in movie theatres.  Sad Some of you probably remember the lyrics of the overture march:

What does the weary private do when the war is done when the war is through? What does the weary private do so early in the morning? He walks just like he is walking now when the war is done when the war is through but now he walks behind the plow so early in the morning.

What does the loudmouth Sergeant do when the war is done when the war is through? What does the loudmouth Sergeant do so early in the morning? He swears and shouts till his face is blue when the war is done when the war is through.... but mules won't move like privates do so early in the morning.

And what does the battalion Captain do when the war is done when the war is through? What does the battalion Captain do so early in the morning? He sleeps and snores like he used to do when the war is done when the war is through, when he slept the bloody battle through, so early in the morning.

And what does the mighty General do when the war is done when the war is through? What does the mighty General do so early in the morning? He's got no job to go back to when the war is done when the war is through. There is just one thing that he can do so early in the morning. He can't plant corn and he can't grow wheat when he war is done when the war is through. He can't teach hogs to quick retreat so early in the morning.

So what in the hell does the General do when the war is done when the war is through? He'll wait for a war to get into so early in the morning!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:18:04 AM by Bandolero » Logged
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 11:20:29 PM »

The logging scene was shot in Sweden. Cigar, this is not a docu: I think that, apart from the LBG finale there is little of historical herein. The monologue of Shaw with the indian chief (Crazy Horse?) is even more incredible than the reconstruction of the battle. But it is effective, honest (I rarely, if ever, heard such cynical and objective speech in a western movie) and I think the final battle is too. It is an entertaining movie, with no rhetoric at all (and, given the subject, that was a risk they might have easily incurred into) and which I'd like to see in a cinema.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 10:46:47 AM »

The logging scene was shot in Sweden. Cigar, this is not a docu: I think that, apart from the LBG finale there is little of historical herein. The monologue of Shaw with the indian chief (Crazy Horse?) is even more incredible than the reconstruction of the battle. But it is effective, honest (I rarely, if ever, heard such cynical and objective speech in a western movie) and I think the final battle is too. It is an entertaining movie, with no rhetoric at all (and, given the subject, that was a risk they might have easily incurred into) and which I'd like to see in a cinema.

I especially like the line that goes something like, "We are only doing what you do to other Indians," in reference to taking over territories and such. That was a very good sequence (and raised some questions of ethics as well) and you could see the anger on Crazy Horse's face but he remained silent yet you could see the words on his face that he knew the day would come when the two would ultimately meet on a battlefield.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 01:21:43 PM »

I note that there are more people liking this movie in this thread that in the one at IMDB.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 01:39:09 PM »

Ok, then it's time for non-liker.

I think this is a rather confuse constructed film which looks like too many cooks had spoiled the soup.

There were a few good moments, a few good ideas, but overall the film has no great idea in which direction to go. And there are some much too long stretched out scenes only serving the needs of ... well I don't remember, it wasn't 3-d, but something similar, at least these endless silly scenes look like being made for 3-d.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 02:08:46 PM »

I note that there are more people liking this movie in this thread that in the one at IMDB.

In the IMDB the voters are not necessarily into Westerns, but here things are different. Therefore, some of us may be even somewhat biased  in our opinions.  Evil

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 03:35:58 PM »

This is not the kind of western that requires an acquired taste to be appreciated. At least, that's what I guess. The fact that it's a big audience entertainment (shot in Cinerama) should provoke a contrary effect.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM