Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 07:02:48 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Wrestler (2008)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wrestler (2008)  (Read 25637 times)
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »

couldn't find a topic on this movie so starting a new one. has anyone seen it  yet?
I just saw penn jillette say it was the best, most real movie he has ever seen on his video blog.
not sure if it has opened in the u.s. yet but shouldn't be long if it hasn't already.
I don't care much for weepy meditations on life type of movies but maybe it's above that.

trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-GFxjTyV0

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:01:36 PM »

not sure if it has opened in the u.s. yet but shouldn't be long if it hasn't already.

I think RR has already seen it.

I have no interest in wrestling or movies about wrestling so I was going to give this a skip.
Should I?
Is it a biopic?

The director doesn't interest me all that much.
I like PI but his other two films I don't care for at all.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 08:13:58 PM »

I think RR has already seen it.

I have no interest in wrestling or movies about wrestling so I was going to give this a skip.
Should I?
Is it a biopic?

The director doesn't interest me all that much.
I like PI but his other two films I don't care for at all.

See it, definitely. It's to wrestling as Raging Bull is to boxing. Not so much about the sport but more about the human. And Randy 'The Ram' Robinson is a hell of a lot more likable than Jake LaMotta. It's not a biopic but probably inspired by other wrestlers.

Simply put, the best film of the year. I've watched it twice already. See it ASAP.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 09:16:28 PM »

Oh, and I've always hated wrestling. But it doesn't make much a difference in the end, obviously.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 09:44:53 PM »

I grew up watching that crap and I don't know if I want to see this. The trailer makes it look like Rocky or something. I don't want to be drubbed with the whole "believe in yourself" nonsense for 2 hours.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 10:31:43 PM »

If I didn't have a long list of films more obviously of interest to me ahead of this, I'd definitely check it out.

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 02:36:19 AM »

This is for me the BEST PICTURE of the year, period. It is the "Rocky" of my generation. The film is all heart and then some. It had such an emotional impact on me that it changed my life. What makes the film great is that it is REAL. It's relatable in the sense that it deals with the struggles of everyday life. It's truly a beautiful story that really struck a chord within me. The film is so good, it's hard for me to even explain how much I love it.

The film's marketing surrounding the film centered about Mickey Rourke and how this was his resurrection. Well, that was a lot to live up to but Mickey's performance passed all the hype. He truly gives a tour de force performance for the ages. It's easily one of the best acting performances I have ever seen. He looked every bit as like a broken-down wrestler as he could have. What a gritty, realistic portrayal by Mr. Rourke. I would not be shocked if he took home the BEST ACTOR award this year.

I also have to mention the performance by the beautiful and highly underrated Marisa Tomei as the love interest opposite Mickey Rourke. Marisa plays a stripper who also struggles with supporting her family and doesn't necessarily enjoy being a stripper. You can tell by watching Marisa that she put her heart and soul into this role as Mickey did. She deserves a nomination as well.

In short, I don't want to waste any more of your time. This is a film that everybody should go see and see it ASAP. The acting, writing, and direction by Darren Aronofsky is superb. When the end credits rolled, I just sat there in awe as I listened to the beautiful Bruce Springsteen song that sums up this GREAT FILM perfectly.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 07:03:51 AM »

This is for me the BEST PICTURE of the year, period. It is the "Rocky" of my generation.
I thought it would be more like Raging Bull Undecided

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 07:54:05 AM »

I thought it would be more like Raging Bull

I sure hope it is, it looks very much like a very similar story to Rod Serling's "Requiem for a Heavyweight" check that one out also if possible Afro

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:49:44 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 11:25:49 AM »

Wait, wait, a thought is coming to me . . . . could it be more like Raging Bull meets Rocky? Cheesy

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 11:37:39 AM »

The original ROCKY is one of the greatest films ever made. So stop talking down on it. I'm not saying this is an exact replay of that film but it is in the tradition of it, for sure.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 01:11:51 PM »

The original ROCKY is one of the greatest films ever made. So stop talking down on it. I'm not saying this is an exact replay of that film but it is in the tradition of it, for sure.
I quite like it. I think I gave it 7/10 on IMDb. But no way it's in the same league with Raging Bull. And the main difference between those two movies is that in Rocky the fight is in the event to which the whole movie builds up to whereas in Raging Bull the fights are more or less on the background. So in this light, which movie does The Wrestler resemble more in your opinion?

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 02:45:29 PM »

As the internet kids say, "U Mad".

Rocky is entertaining and harmless but it's probably not one of the 100 best movies of the 70s.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 02:49:01 PM »

As the internet kids say, "U Mad".

Rocky is entertaining and harmless but it's probably not one of the 100 best movies of the 70s.

I definitely think it's in the top 100 greatest films of the 1970's. Are you kidding me. It's even on AFI's top 100 of all-time.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 02:58:02 PM »

Would you please answer my question?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM